Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News EA has ruined BioWare

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jigawatt said:
Xor said:
I'm usually one of the first to call skyway an idiot, but his sig makes perfect sense

MetalCraze said:
Half of the Codex believes that you can't divide by zero... Are you just as retarded?

He could've chosen any number except zero to make the point - any other number. And boy are there a lot of them. No way you could fluke being that stupid

Now now. Don't try to weasel out. You are a retard who can't read and now try to cut out the most important part around which the quote is built to not look like a retard that you are.

But being a fine monocle wearing gentleman that I am I will help you:

"Half of the Codex thinks that 2/2*0 can't be solved because you can't divide by zero because they completely fail at math"

Xor said:
I'm usually one of the first to call skyway an idiot, but his sig makes perfect sense in the context of the thread that spawned it, which mainly came down to an argument about order of operations. You could read 2/2*0 as (2/2)*0 or 2/(2*0).

Do you see "(" or ")" anywhere in that sentence? No. Why would you multiply first?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
I never even finished the cover CD copy I had.
I did, and it wasn't a cover CD.

It was... it's hard to describe really. Not as bad as I expected, considering the aura that surrounded it after release. I'm sure I've played worse games. If you give me enough time I'll even think of one.

Oh yeah, here's one: MIA Mission In Asia. That was worse than Daikatana. Give me another day or two and I'll think of another one.

Mind you that I did finish Unreal 2.
I did not. Let our powers unite! :love:
(or... tell you what, you keep your horrible Unreal 2 memories to yourself and I won't melt your brain with those I have of Daikatana. The AI *twitch*... the fucking companion AI *twitch*...)

MetalCraze said:
"Half of the Codex thinks that 2/2*0 can't be solved because you can't divide by zero because they completely fail at math"
TBH I'm having a hard time sorting this sentence out...

CorpseZeb

Learned
Sceptic said:
And Daikatana started off with good intentions from a lot of what John Romero used to say about emphasizing design.

Look at how that turned out.

Huh? Daikatana is good, very, very long game with diverse worlds and serious amount types of weapon'n'monster. Never understood why people don't like Dai. Definitively better game then U2 (which is shit comparing to U1).

DraQ

Arcane
CorpseZeb said:
Definitively better game then U2
That's actually possible. I sometimes still hate myself for completing U2 - it left wounds in my mind, wounds that I fear will never heal.

I don't really know why I completed it but no Daikaszana - maybe it's because I had strong hopes and expectations after playing the prequel and didn't want to let them die like that?

Granted, U2 wasn't *entirely* composed of distilled fail - it had interesting environments (but not lines, I mean levels), grenade launcher and rocket launcher were somewhat cool and... and... and that's that. You can add flamethrower if you're really desperate to find something to like about this game...
No, it was a disgrace... I want to be alone.

CorpseZeb

Learned
DraQ said:
I sometimes still hate myself for completing U2 - it left wounds in my mind, wounds that I fear will never heal.

No need to hate yourself, self-flagellation should be sufficient...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Jigawatt said:
MetalCraze said:
Half of the Codex believes that you can't divide by zero... Are you just as retarded?
He could've chosen any number except zero to make the point - any other number. And boy are there a lot of them. No way you could fluke being that stupid
you changing the meaning of the sentence by omission sure makes skyway look stupid.

also 2/0=0 in {{0}, +, *}

Coyote

Arcane
Sceptic said:
MetalCraze said:
TBH I'm having a hard time sorting this sentence out...

Half of the Codex believes that 2/2*0 requires you to divide by zero, which can't be done. They completely fail at math because order of operations doesn't require you to divide by zero in this expression. PEMDAS is (apparently) commonly misinterpreted as meaning

Parentheses -> Exponents (and roots) -> Multiplication -> Division -> Addition and subtraction (i.e. you must do all multiplication before doing any division)

rather than

Parentheses -> Exponents (and roots) -> Multiplication and division -> Addition and subtraction (i.e. you do all multiplication and division in the order in which it appears in the expression/equation; order of operations doesn't require that you do one before the other)

The second intepretation is correct. Skyway's signature is oddly-phrased (for example, "Half of the Codex believes that you can't divide by zero in 2/2*0. Are you just as retarded?" could be interpreted as being doubly retarded by implying both that you are required to divide by zero in the expression and that there's no problem with doing so), but the idea is correct.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BR O SKYWAY I HAD TO EDIT THE HATE FROM THIS POST YOU ARE A TRU BRO BUT I JOKE WITH YOU LOLOLOLOLOL

kris

Arcane
MetalCraze said:

Many or even most grownups, who most likely knows much more than you about everything important wouldn't really know this. That is because you don't use much math like this in everyday life. People tend to forget what is unimportant and I tell you right now, this calculation is far from important in everyday life.

But who am I to stop you in your belief that this proves people are stupid?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
huh? two divided by two multiplied by zero is zero isn't it?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO LAST WEEK I GOT A PROMOTION AND WORK AND GOT A BLOWJOB FROM MY WIFE AND GOT MY BABY TIO STOP SHITTING HERSELF BY FOLLOWING THE CORRECT ORDER OF OPERATIONS

BRO IF ONLY THEY KNEW THAT SHIT AT CHERNOBYL YOU MIGHT HAVE PLAYED KOTOR ONLY THREE TIMES

MetalCraze said:
Jigawatt said:
Xor said:
I'm usually one of the first to call skyway an idiot, but his sig makes perfect sense

MetalCraze said:

Now now. Don't try to weasel out. You are a retard who can't read and now try to cut out the most important part around which the quote is built to not look like a retard that you are.

But being a fine monocle wearing gentleman that I am I will help you:

Xor said:
I'm usually one of the first to call skyway an idiot, but his sig makes perfect sense in the context of the thread that spawned it, which mainly came down to an argument about order of operations. You could read 2/2*0 as (2/2)*0 or 2/(2*0).

Do you see "(" or ")" anywhere in that sentence? No. Why would you multiply first?

Ok, I'm having a go at this. Assume we're using the set theory of numbers - not normally important (it's basically what you're familiar with at high school - think in terms of algebra, rather than calculus) but it in case someone who knows more than I do makes the distinction. The only maths I've done since high school was in formal logic, but my wife did her honours in pure maths so I'll put the question to her afterwards.

Now the way it has been put, in 2/2*0, strictly speaking, is simply poorly written as division and multiplication have equal priority. Obviously left->right takes over, but normally you'd use brackets or similar to confirm intended priority. If you're moving from left to right, you'd go (2/2)*0=0.

The trouble is that the thread that Skyway took the problem from does NOT unequivocably lead us to a 2/2*0 scenario. Instead, we have 2/2(3+9), or something to that effect (structure of 2/2a). IF 2(a+b) meant the same as 2*(a+b), then Skyway would be unequivocably correct. But it doesn't. It means something very similar, but not quite the same thing.

The notation 2(a+b), using direct brackets instead of a multiplication symbol is, as far as I know, a feature of set theory (so no impossible numbers unlike calculus), where it means literally 2 sets of the group (a+b). A purely syntactic system would have no difference between the brackets and the multiplier, which is why I'm saying that the issue is open to resolution in different ways depending on our background assumptions. But under ordinary set theory of numbers, 2/2(3+9) is worked out in the same way as 2/2(a+b) or 2/2c, were c = a+b = 3+9.

Now where Skyway goes wrong is that 2/2c does not give us c. Similary, if we keep 3+9 as a+b, we don't end up with (2/2)(a+b) = a+b. We actually end up with 2/2(a+b) = 2/(2a + 2b).

Again, the difference is that on a set theory mathematics, the parenthesis are not the same as multiplication, even though they usually have the same practical effect. The difference comes in the priority rules, where the brackets literally serves to demarcate a set, so 2(a) means 2 sets of a, rather than '2 multiplied by a'.

It leads to confusion because in high school you don't clearly separate the different systems of mathematics (integer theory, set theory, calculus, semantic/syntactic formula) aside from the general principle that in calculus you use 'impossible' numbers such as the square root of negatives, whereas in other units you put those down as nonsensical (again, depends on whether the system deals with numbers as placeholders for theoretical objects, in which case impossible numbers are of course impossible, or whether the system deals with numbers purely as a series of calculation rules, in which case you can have any numbers the system needs).

I'll post again once my wife gets home and I check to make sure that's roughly on track - as I said, I didn't do maths directly at uni, and I haven't touched it at all since studying formal logic as an undergrad honours.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Azrael the cat said:
Now the way it has been put, in 2/2*0, strictly speaking, is simply poorly written as division and multiplication have equal priority. Obviously left->right takes over, but normally you'd use brackets or similar to confirm intended priority. If you're moving from left to right, you'd go (2/2)*0=0.
no. division is respective multiplication what subtraction is respective addition. they are both simplifications of multiplying with the multiplicative inverse or adding the additive inverse respectively, just like addition is simply subtraction of the subtractive inverse and so on.
that's why you express fields as sets with two elementary operators instead of four.

saying that 2/2*0 is poorly written and should be written with brackets is the same as saying that 2-2+1 is poorly written and should be written with brackets which is total bollocks.
2/2*0 is just a quicker way of writing 2*2⁻¹*0 just like 2-2+1 is a simplification of 2+-2+1.

DraQ

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
ITT: useless math.
While I would generally rage at such statement, this.

Yeah, order of operations is well established and everyone worth their salt should know it. However, it's also completely arbitrary and only matters because it allows to avoid putting parentheses everyfuckingwhere without making formulae ambiguous.

So basically, skyway is going "lololo i know primary school math i smrat u not r00fles!" which should be just fucking embarrassing to anyone worth their weight in fucking hydrogen. It doesn't even require any sort of mathematical aptitude since it's not technically a mathematical, but communication issue. If you flaunt this kind of shit, its obvious that you just don't know much more than that.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SKYWAY IS A SMART GUY

LET ME FILL YOU IN ON SOMETHING I HAVE LEARNED THOUGH IT TURNS OUT THAT SMART GUYS WHO THINK THEY ARE ALOT SMARTER THAN THEY ARE USUALLY END UP BEING AKWARD SOCIALLY AND CANT SOLVE A PRACTICAL PROBLEM TO SAVE THERE LIVES

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SKYWAY IS A SMART GUY

LET ME FILL YOU IN ON SOMETHING I HAVE LEARNED THOUGH IT TURNS OUT THAT SMART GUYS WHO THINK THEY ARE ALOT SMARTER THAN THEY ARE USUALLY END UP BEING AKWARD SOCIALLY AND CANT SOLVE A PRACTICAL PROBLEM TO SAVE THERE LIVES

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
I don't really know why I completed it but no Daikaszana
Well maybe you should fix this by completing Daikatana? after all, as you've read in this thread, it's a good game :smug:

No, it was a disgrace... I want to be alone.
With a copy of Daikatana?
Enjoy your loading screens :smug:
(try not to throw your computer out the window and remember you can just turn off the sound)

Coyote

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
Female PA.
DIE IN A FIRE :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

All right, now it's my turn to be perplexed. What?

(I know nothing about Daikatana except that Warren Spector worked on it and that it's almost universally considered a poor game.)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Warren Spector didn't work on Daikatana. I'm pretty sure you're thinking of John Romero.

Coyote

Arcane
Oh yeah, that's right. I never paid much attention to the game while it was being hyped and afterwards, I saw one review/LP/something that made me lose all interest in it whatsoever. Remembered that it was someone who produced a number of quality games before a complete dud or two, just mixed up the names.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom