Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

Booo, that's cheating!

Boon947

Literate
Question about the mage class:
I always had most fun running a straight mage (archmage) with an undead army as my main hero. With 2.70b I got my mage to lvl 30. I'm ok with the undead lvls being a little a little nerfed for new summons. Not sure about some of the spell changes.
Anyway: Lvl 30 archmage and I don't get a tier 4 unit slot (and only one tier 3). That means no vampires... So, was I only very unlucky with my upgrade rolls that I'm missing out on command? Is that even possible? Or is the mage being fucked over a feature?
Is there any way to get tier 4 units (vampyres) with a mage? Would multi-class to commander (necromancer) do it?

EDIT: It's a feature. Seemingly easily fixable by changing stat_progress.var
Right. I have only recently posted the change log for version 16.0901
http://eador.com/B2/viewtopic.php?p=296093#296093

4. Heroes
Mage (Archmage) lost 1 command (thus a T4 slot), replaced by 1 health.

Wizard has 2/6/2 in Health/Magic/Command
Archmage went from 2/4/4 to 3/4/3 for a total of 4/10/6 (before) vs 5/10/5 (after)
https://github.com/Boon947/eador/co...22abb71#diff-aa33af0fc34a19d1508ba83bdbc2c07c

Command 6 is required for a Tier 4 slot.
http://guides.gamepressure.com/eadormastersofthebrokenworld/guide.asp?ID=20099

Regards.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
One of advanced tactics was to make a vampire then give them to priest to have 2 vampires in the army. If priest cast a vampire, it was three vampire army immune to majority of bad things that could hurt vampires. And if mage wanted to have vampires in army, he could have one already at high level and summon three others to have 4 VAMPIRE ARMY KILLS EVERYTHING AND THEN RESURECTS IT AND KILLS IT AGAIN.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Just lost another shard to Doh-Gor. This is total bullshit, he just comes at me with an army 2-3 times more populated and leveled than mine.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Original or mod?

If original, use either cheat engine, or lower difficulty.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
That's that barbarian right? You'd need to murder him for some quests anyway. But he's not that difficult. At least comparing to some more lethal lords. I'm quite happy when they are fighting with each other, rather than ganging on me.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Yep. I can't do shit against him. Both shards I've played after he arrived in the campaign now, I get to around turn 100 building up my shards and exploring and stuff, and then he reaches my province with an army of almost ten units and his hero is usually five levels higher than mine.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Only 10 units at turn 100? I was ravaging these with 5 horsemen at turn 34. One of them met me early and was trying to kill me. Then I found another two who were with full provinces and would be able to improve much faster and kill me when I wouldn't kill them. 3 decapitation strikes before turn 76 and I normally play SLOWLY. Turn 300 because I want to see that high leveled elephant.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I must be playing the game wrong because I have absolutely no idea how to make that much progress that quickly. I spend dozens of turns grinding out waiting for more gold to purchase a new building or troop, and exploring provinces to find the low level shit that I can actually win battles against.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At what difficulty are you playing? You might want to start with a lower one at first, the early ~25 turns are vital for taking the provinces closest to you and getting the money for a second hero, while growing the first squad to be able to take on stronger enemies. Exploring should be left for your secondary heroes or when you're healing up. The first circle of provinces can generally be taken without or with minimal loses, you should then either try completing a quest to get the money for a second hero or taking some of the second circle provinces, the more provinces you have the more locations to plunder you'll have to choose from, so you'll have something to do each turn (with breaks for moving and returning to capital), you'll also get more resources and income to build you capital buildings and a proper economy. At first it's really difficult to tell what provinces and locations you can take, so use that "into the past" button until you get the hang of it but essentially you need to fight as much as possible early on to snowball your heroes and economy into the mid-late game.

Playing NH is probably not the best idea if you struggle with the AI outpacing you, at turn 100 in NH you can run into enemy heroes at level 30 with armies full of veteran units (which I think is ridiculous even for the AI cheating standards but oh well).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I must be playing the game wrong because I have absolutely no idea how to make that much progress that quickly. I spend dozens of turns grinding out waiting for more gold to purchase a new building or troop, and exploring provinces to find the low level shit that I can actually win battles against.
At what turn do you conquer the first ring about 8, or about 12?
At what turn do you have second, or third hero?
At what turn are you going into second ring?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
At what turn do you conquer the first ring about 8, or about 12?
At what turn do you have second, or third hero?
At what turn are you going into second ring?
About 50-100 for all of them.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Your starting hero and some additional units can conquer first province within three turns. And that 6*2-10 income from first ring is very helpful. Especially when there are some juicy locations in first ring.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Conquering the first ring should be one of the first things you do, it's a huge income boost and opens you for further expansion, that's not even mentioning the potential resources and locations there. First circle are typically free settlements or bandit hideouts (barbarians are a little tougher but not much), you should easily take them with hero+whatever units you purchase first (swordsmen are a very safe choice). Getting a second hero is tricker but should be a top priority too, it doubles your map presence and expansion/gold acquisition speed, if you're lucky you can do a quest for something like robbers, skeletons or goblins super early and get the money that way. Getting a second hero pays back FAST.

Grif

Learned
I actually try to conquer my ring by the second turn, but that's the Dominion player in me driving on. Seems like the way to go is just grab Commander as the starting unit, then go ham on swordsman. (They're really good for a Tier 1!)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I actually try to conquer my ring by the second turn, but that's the Dominion player in me driving on. Seems like the way to go is just grab Commander as the starting unit, then go ham on swordsman. (They're really good for a Tier 1!)
There are 6 provinces, when player is lucky, you can't conquer them all in second turn. Also are you conquering them at rate one per two turns, or are you faster?

Grif

Learned
There are 6 provinces, when player is lucky, you can't conquer them all in second turn. Also are you conquering them at rate one per two turns, or are you faster?

Derp, I messed up a word there. I meant start conquering them by turn 2, instead of turn 3-4. And yes, if I play my cards right, I can conquer one province per turn. (I'm not playing at a particularly high difficulty, which might explain it). I usually will have them clear by turn 10, at the minimum, unless there's something particularly nasty I didn't want to face.

Just had a run with the Lizardmen, and boy I can't wait for the rework. They are simply not that strong.

I was planning on using them only, but then I found a Seraphim relic, and couldn't refuse.

He totally wrecked my economy, so I had to ditch most of the army

mhmQ1Nm.jpg

But...look at him in battle, just look!

Uymitu3.jpg

Higher Game

Arcane
I just got into this game. It's objectively an unbalanced mess, but with so much heart and a good concept behind it that it shouldn't be a surprise if fans fixed it up right. I'll try out that New Horizons mod.

Higher Game

Arcane
Ok, took a look at New Horizons and concluded that this is the kind of hardcore strategy game that will fuck you so hard up the ass you enjoy it. If you want to be manhandled by HOMMXXX on steroids and crystal meth, this is the game for you. Casual fags need not apply.

bavarian kid

Educated
New NH release 17.1001.b01 :cool: (Russian Version)

Changes among others:

1.) Female heroes, sample pictures only. Have to be enabled in Eador.cfg, Woman Characters (0 - not use/1 - use, default 0): 1.

2KBUnz.jpg

2. School of Nature Magic has level 5 building with perks now
djatmL.jpg

and allows the hiring of Behemoths
277guw.jpg

Full list of changes

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Man, these portraits clash with the rest of the artstyle. So do behemoths, Eador is much closer to HoMM 2 than 3. :prosper:

Still, always good to have an update.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Behemoth pic is a placeholder, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom