Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Easier monsters

Hello. I can not continue the game, because my group always die at the first monsters. I think this is too frustrating and doesn't make fun. So is here a mod that makes the game a bit easier? Or does someone know whether it's possible to edit the monster abilities to make them a bit weaker? Then I make my own re-balance mod for people who want to enjoy the atmosphere, world and story and not spending hours with that 3.5 rules to kill 4 frogs.

Thank you for your support!

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
ToEE might be the wrong game for you if what you're after is world and story... it is first and foremost a combat romp, and its combat system is exactly where it shines.

Nevertheless if you insist, then it would be easier to boost your party members' stats rather than edit all the monsters. You can do so by using console commands, or if you prefer, just raise the amount of Point Buy points and use that instead of rolling.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hello. I can not continue the game, because my group always die at the first monsters. I think this is too frustrating and doesn't make fun. So is here a mod that makes the game a bit easier? Or does someone know whether it's possible to edit the monster abilities to make them a bit weaker? Then I make my own re-balance mod for people who want to enjoy the atmosphere, world and story and not spending hours with that 3.5 rules to kill 4 frogs.

Thank you for your support!
Don't give up! The first fights are really hard, your party starts so weak and squishy. You just gotta goof around with positioning and micro manage everything, use every ability you possibly can. Just gotta get over that early hurdle. Once you kill some stuff you quickly get stronger and soon you are kicking ass. Can't remember it enough to be more specific, I just remember you start super weak but it quickly changes.

Codex Year of the Donut
It has been a while since I played but I remember being able to get a large chunk of XP doing various quests around town without any combat at all.

I can't do any quests. If I speak to people around the town, there's no dialogue option what helps me forward. I have 9 or 10 quests solved and need +114 xp to get level 2.

Have you some tips from where I get the best armors and weapons at the beginning? Or should I wait buying until I are level 2?

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I can't do any quests. If I speak to people around the town, there's no dialogue option what helps me forward. I have 9 or 10 quests solved and need +114 xp to get level 2.
Which location did you go to first? I remember the forest north of town being easier.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
You can kill the farm animals for some easy xp.
Also the traders, you can quite easily gang up on them even at level 1.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hahah. Then you better gitgud! Do the quests in the tedious town then go pwn the temple. If teenage me did it stoned off my balls on a 14" monitor, you can do it now.

Endarire

Scholar
Farm random encounters for EXP.

This is a game that heavily rewards high-stat characters. A 25 point buy for newbies is asking for trouble.

What about using T+'s house rules to minimize HP per HD for enemies/NPCs and maximizing it for your team?

Whose shitty alt is this? Have to commend the fact that people actually took the bait....

What idiot are you? Where's the problem to join on saturday? What do you mean with "Fag" in my user name and how do you came to the idea this is shit and talking of a "fact" that people took the bait?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Whose shitty alt is this? Have to commend the fact that people actually took the bait....

What idiot are you? Where's the problem to join on saturday? What do you mean with "Fag" in my user name and how do you came to the idea this is shit and talking of a "fact" that people took the bait?
Forget about him, you've got work to do! That temple is not gonna save itself.

Yes, he seems to be an old troll.
I found a heavy issue that prevented me killing monsters. I had selected everyone of my characters to make anesthetic damage. I thought this would be additional damage to the standard damage, but this option enabled prevented me to kill monsters. Now I'm level 2, almost 3. But these Skeleton Gnolls are still too strong. The good is I can now sleep in the tavern for free and heal my group anytime.

Endarire

Scholar
TBG: What about remaking your party as 5+ Human Sors with magic missile and grease so you can reliably damage things?

Also remember that skeletons have damage reduction (DR) overcome by blunt weapons and zombies have DR overcome by slashing.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yes, he seems to be an old troll.
I found a heavy issue that prevented me killing monsters. I had selected everyone of my characters to make anesthetic damage. I thought this would be additional damage to the standard damage, but this option enabled prevented me to kill monsters. Now I'm level 2, almost 3. But these Skeleton Gnolls are still too strong. The good is I can now sleep in the tavern for free and heal my group anytime.
Nice. Sounds like you are set now. I think getting over that first couple of levels was the tricky bit. I wanna play this now... I loved my sorcerer and his huge pets.

I have some weak characters in my group: Ember, Hennet and Joran.
I always prefer humen, no elves or orcs. And I red you should not add a paladin to the group because this will cause a heavy battle in the temple. I don't know whether this is some sort of bug or just unpolished. But maybe Temple+ has corrected this after 15 years of bug fixing and enhancing.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Having a Paladin just means you can't do any quests for the Temple unless you don't mind having a fallen Paladin. So in effect if forces you to go deus vult on the Temple. That's not a bug per se, just a shortcoming of the game's "plot".

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
TOEE has multiple easy modes built in. The first easy mode is Elmo who can get you to the temple. At that point, you can path without combat to the room with Thrommel, recruit him, arrange suicide by monster, and steal his bastard sword. Fragarach will then easy mode your fighting character through most of the temple. If you resurrect Thrommel after, you can get rewarded with a SECOND auto win sword. The vanilla game content is extremely cheesable with what the game shipped with, and after enough playthroughs I've done just that in order to speed through the low level slog so I can get to the Co8 stuff. Your soft baby hands can't be held forever though, if you want to do post temple content (Co8), you have to git gud.

Also character creation has two bugs (or feature to journalists) that allows you to get all 18 base stats on your party members, instantly making the game easier.

Last edited:

Endarire

Scholar
T+ has the option to change the point buy of characters. Use a 96 point buy to give everyone base 18s.

ToEE assumes a lot of 3.5 knowledge as well as general patience with being weak early game to be stronger later.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I remember the first time I left Hommlet my party was obliterated by a pair of giant lobsters. Fantastic game that won't suck your cock unlike modern trash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom