Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Edginess vs. fanboyism - Which is more beneficial, and for whom?

Conan what is best in life?

• Total voters

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Subject A is a dedicated fanboy. He is always optimistic, has low-standards and even lower expectations. As such, he is very difficult to shock and very easy to please. Most games are just fine according to him, and any gripes he might have are of cosmetic preference, or some other irrelevant bull shit. He loves to ride the dicks of developers in exchange for tiny crumbs of diluted shit, and tell everybody how awesome that was.

Pros - able to transform nearly any experience into masochism in an alchemist-like fashion. As such he is never unhappy as a gamer, there'll always be trash for him to eat happily and rant on how awesomely it tasted.
Cons - the industry benefits greatly from such mongrels in a financial way, but keeps chugging wave after wave of watered-down excuses for products no one will remember in 5 years. Eventually, patient A will be infinitely grateful even for the most pathetic, most worthless sack of shit.

Base of operations - Bioware official forums, Bethesda/Obsidian official forums, RPGWatch as a transit zone
Favorite developers - Todd Howard.

Subject B is an edgy haterfag and a brutal critic. He is always bitter and keeps his bar high no matter what. No game is good enough for him. He feels short-term hedonistic pleasure while destroying a game in his reviews. But at least that which he wrote can be called a review unlike the cuckold memoirs of subject A. Occasionally his bitterness is well argumented , but when it's not he just doesn't care. Not like those half-products deserve much scrutiny. During extended periods of RPG drought he unsuccessfully seeks refuge in a warm embrace of many a grindy MMO like Path of Shit, or similar.

Pros - He is one of the few who felt once what a true RPG is, many eons ago. Also, his advanced filters ensure he'll never come in physical contact with leprotic pseudo-RPG bullshit. He also makes developers tremble in uncertainty and give him interviews
Cons - is never satisfied. Beats his dog and wife occasionally. Nerve system is demolished by years of edginess.

Base of operations - RPG Codex troll cave
Favorite developers - pre-KS Fargo, proto-Avellone, pre-shitsidian Feargus, Tim Cain

Subject C is an exotic specimen which is very rarely sighted in conventional circles. Presumably extinct. He often takes a balanced stance, which may or may not be polite, or alternates between states A and B. When fanboys begin spouting verbal cuckoldry , he reprimands them. When haters and edgelords flame and talk trash, he answers. Subject C represends the hypothetical middle-ground.

Pros - has the best chances of discovering true Objectivity. Also has inner peace.
Cons - [empty]

Base of operations - Cannot triangulate
Favorite developers - Any who isn't a sell-out, a SJW or a cuckold.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clearly, type A mongrels are financially better for any commercial industry, as they are mindless drones. But if the industry would be guided by traditional values of incline, those inspired by harsh critique of type B, would they really make that less money?

Now I ask thee, what is best for this industry?

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Balance is always superior. Both sides have their flaws, but a balance of the two mitigates most flaws while keeping most advantages.

Ent

Savant
I want to say that I prefer balance but I usually enjoy the edgy comments made even for the games I like. It gets even more hilarious when the edge lord goes full edge and starts saying outrageous shit like wishing death on a company or devs - thats when you know they've truly been butt flustered.

Des

Educated
Its not my fault that most new rpg's suck ass. If developers made better rpg's i wouldnt be complaining.

Fuck balance. If you want change you must complain.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
That's how I feel too. Edginess can at least move us forward, whereas a credulous attitude means devs will get away with shit, and go back to producing more shit, each more pathetic than the last.

Delbaeth

Learned
Games? What games?
Ha, those things in my digital store library?
You mean... They're meant to be played?!
I thought they just were little icons, so I was able to say shit on screenshots and YT videos!

Someone has lied to me!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'd rather be a naive, optimistic fanboy than an edgelord that has played and completed Baldur's Gate 20 times but misses no opportunity to say just how much RTwP sucks.
Who's smarter? The fanboy who plays games he likes, or the the edgelord who keeps on playing games he hates?

Edgelords are more amusing to read, though.

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Subject A is a dedicated fanboy. He is always optimistic, has low-standards and even lower expectations. As such, he is very difficult to shock and very easy to please. Most games are just fine according to him, and any gripes he might have are of cosmetic preference, or some other irrelevant bull shit. He loves to ride the dicks of developers in exchange for tiny crumbs of diluted shit, and tell everybody how awesome that was.

Pros - able to transform nearly any experience into masochism in an alchemist-like fashion. As such he is never unhappy as a gamer, there'll always be trash for him to eat happily and rant on how awesomely it tasted.
Cons - the industry benefits greatly from such mongrels in a financial way, but keeps chugging wave after wave of watered-down excuses for products no one will remember in 5 years. Eventually, patient A will be infinitely grateful even for the most pathetic, most worthless sack of shit.

Base of operations - Bioware official forums, Bethesda/Obsidian official forums, RPGWatch as a transit zone
Favorite developers - Todd Howard.

Subject B is an edgy haterfag and a brutal critic. He is always bitter and keeps his bar high no matter what. No game is good enough for him. He feels short-term hedonistic pleasure while destroying a game in his reviews. But at least that which he wrote can be called a review unlike the cuckold memoirs of subject A. Occasionally his bitterness is well argumented , but when it's not he just doesn't care. Not like those half-products deserve much scrutiny. During extended periods of RPG drought he unsuccessfully seeks refuge in a warm embrace of many a grindy MMO like Path of Shit, or similar.

Pros - He is one of the few who felt once what a true RPG is, many eons ago. Also, his advanced filters ensure he'll never come in physical contact with leprotic pseudo-RPG bullshit. He also makes developers tremble in uncertainty and give him interviews
Cons - is never satisfied. Beats his dog and wife occasionally. Nerve system is demolished by years of edginess.

Base of operations - RPG Codex troll cave
Favorite developers - pre-KS Fargo, proto-Avellone, pre-shitsidian Feargus, Tim Cain

Subject C is an exotic specimen which is very rarely sighted in conventional circles. Presumably extinct. He often takes a balanced stance, which may or may not be polite, or alternates between states A and B. When fanboys begin spouting verbal cuckoldry , he reprimands them. When haters and edgelords flame and talk trash, he answers. Subject C represends the hypothetical middle-ground.

Pros - has the best chances of discovering true Objectivity. Also has inner peace.
Cons - [empty]

Base of operations - Cannot triangulate
Favorite developers - Any who isn't a sell-out, a SJW or a cuckold.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clearly, type A mongrels are financially better for any commercial industry, as they are mindless drones. But if the industry would be guided by traditional values of incline, those inspired by harsh critique of type B, would they really make that less money?

Now I ask thee, what is best for this industry?

Your categories are bad. What if someone just wants more real rpgs being made and attacks games that are toke rpgs, rpg-lite, or just console shit for idiots and promotes all games that further the rpg agenda? Lets say he also likes consistency from idiots who love console shit and is easily confused by their love and hate of pretty much the same exact game with different names and slightly different rpg-lite systems?

I think it is more like this

A - Idiots who like what they are told to like and dislike what they are told to dislike and just let the "community" do the thinking for them.

B - Idiots who go against the grain by being part of a smaller, belligerent "community" that likes what the major "community" doesn't like and vice versa.

C - Normal people who think for themselves. On this site it means people who also like rpgs. Naturally they are going to like some games and dislike others. A true rpg fan wants more of what is rarely made (rpgs), and less idiots who like kid shit and console games monkeys.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Balanced edgelord. Because some games just not deserved the balanced criticism and others not deserve all the praise in the world they got.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Forced Edgelordism is getting tiresome in pretty large doses. Lots of edgelords don't even know what they are talking about (many of them seem to have a very narrow gaming horizon) and hate out of principle or to be in the cool club. They also often falsely equate their own edgelordism with muh critical thinking. What rustles my jabolitos the most is their fundamental dishonesty, like playing games seven times through and then edgeposting on the Codex how much they hated every second of it.

I'd rather take a fanboy over that, at least they kept their capacity to enjoy the games they are playing. And they kept their honesty and don't feel the need to pretend that they hated something just to be part of the ingroup.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I think it is more like this

A - Idiots who like what they are told to like

B - Idiots who go against the grain

C - Normal people who think for themselves.

Its the same shit.

Could be better to go against the grain tho, could raise the standard

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I'd rather be a naive, optimistic fanboy than an edgelord that has played and completed Baldur's Gate 20 times but misses no opportunity to say just how much RTwP sucks.
Who's smarter? The fanboy who plays games he likes, or the the edgelord who keeps on playing games he hates?

This is not the first time I read that bullshit, some chaps really believe that people who trash Baldur's Gate secretly love it. But then of course you can't criticize the game if you don't beat Irenicus seven times, right?

Lazing Dirk

Arcane

You forgot the part where that generally only applies to one developer/publisher/console, or maybe even only one game. For any games outside of that circle, there is only SEETHING HATRED.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Simple self interest for me, i'm a fan o stuff thats done well an suits me, if its recycled shit that does hardly owt an costs more then i'll take mick out on it. Let buyer beware should be watchword. That said i've never got point o suckin dev cock like folk do, if they've done good fine admit it, but thats called doin your fuckin job where I come from an is least you should expect.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

This is not the first time I read that bullshit, some chaps really believe that people who trash Baldur's Gate secretly love it. But then of course you can't criticize the game if you don't beat Irenicus seven times, right?

Who said anything about secretly loving it? I'm talking about repeatedly replaying a game whose combat system you hate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom