Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

edgy, violent games (mostly shooters)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Martyr, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    So... I almost started a thread like this yesterday.

But I wanted to focus on psychopath simulators lol. Gore is not enough I want to play something psychologically sinister -- so tired of saving the world. Something dripping with Max Payne-like atmosphere, but with the main character's crazy and nihilism turned to 11. So very specific, I know. But is it so much to ask to play evil incarnate?

I haven't played any of the games mentioned ITT except Blood a long time ago. I was thinking about Hatred since it seems to fit the desired theme, but I heard the gameplay is shit. Is it? Any other suggestions?

• Salute Salute x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Hatred is shit, best just play Postal 1. Nhilism, sounds a lot like Condemned and Manhunt to me. Though the latter is just regular psycopath stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    if you want psychopath simulators I'd suggest (out of my list): Manhunt, Manhunt 2, Postal 1, Postal 2, Shellshock 67, Hatred. they're all good and worth playing imo.
    I played Hatred for a decent amount of time and had lots of fun, never thought the gameplay was shit and the whole game is basically a homage to Postal 1.
    like Siveon has mentioned, Condemned and Manhunt come the closest to Max Payne's atmosphere and tone. but as far as I can remember you're playing a cop in Condemned. a very violent, ruthless cop. but he's certainly not evil. crazy would be debatable.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Master Arbiter

Master
    You can try choosing evil options in rpgs.

• incline incline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Hmm, I see there's a Postal Redux, with HD graphics and shit. Any reason not to go with that and stick to the original?

Yeah I know. But rare are the RPGs tailored for an evil playthrough. The atmosphere is rarely there to support it. You end up being a dude that saves the world reluctantly / for money, or does it the whole way and then makes a final evil choice at the end.

Which ones are there? Mask of the Betrayer might be where the psychopath path gets the most support; there's some in PST; SW:KotOR 1-2 for the lulzy muahaha evil; Bloodlines is great and you're a killer vampire but the choices themselves aren't really evil; Fallout, Arcanum, PoE, AoD and ATOM have dark/selfish choices but they're really not psychologically dark or evil IIRC; Tyranny maybe (I haven't played it). What else is there?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. bataille Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

bataille
    Demonophobia. It's an obscure Japanese game, and I'm not sure there's a translation. It's more sickening than edgy. It just crosses that threshold where edginess ends and a creepy death fetish starts.

Harvester. A great absurdist adventure game that just happens to have awful blood and guts spilled all over its second half.

The White Chamber has a lot of fail states that end in edgy gore.

Stasis was suicide galore.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. bataille Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

bataille
    https://rpgmaker.net/games/2068/

I know there's that thing. I haven't played it, but still.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    Severance: Blade of Darkness

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Wolfenstein - New Collosus
    dat slide by pregnant Anna was something else

Fallouts death animations

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    You might laugh at this but Ultima VII had some genuinely fucking violent and disturbing shit, babies being sacrificed by Liches, horrible mutilations, murders, bodies all over place yadda, yadda.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Huh... interesting?

Might be too much lul

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Master Arbiter

Master
    How about some Kings Bounty: Dark Side.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    huh, I didn't know a Postal Redux exists. someone give some information!

Temple of Elemental Evil, of course. I always do Chaotic Evil playthroughs. :obviously:
    or Prelude to Darkness, side with the rebellion.

^ Top  
  14. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    The Darkness II is a pretty violent FPS. You have two tentacles with mouths that you can use to tear people apart, or grab items like car doors and either guard or throw them to decapitate enemies.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    I heard of this game, but thought it was only on consoles? Even read some comics when I was younger. Might be right up my alley.

EDIT: Oh, only the first game was on consoles.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Swigen Learned

Swigen
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Master Arbiter

Master
    If you can play the Suffering and listen to the demonic voice every time, then you trully are a psychopath. This is the test! (spawn intro music playing)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. just Educated

just
    mortal kombat games in general

[​IMG]

go watch character trailers for the upcoming mk 11. they're great.

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • decline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sjukob Magister

Sjukob
    Splatterhouse series

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ur dad Literate

ur dad

Might not make the "edge" rating as you mostly fight demons in the game though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ManaJunkie Learned

ManaJunkie
    Chiller
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Doman : Grzechy Ardana was violent beat 'em up for Amiga clearly inspired by Barbarian games.

[​IMG]

Night Slashers is another title from the same sub-genre that is worth mentioning. You kill zombies and other monsters. Since it's an arcade game, you need to check the game setting through service mode to be sure that you are playing the more bloody version.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)