Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

edgy, violent games (mostly shooters)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I've just played through The Darkness 2, and it's good for what it is / I managed to get to the end.

It's very short, like around 6-10h, depending on cinematics and dialogue skipping & levels restarts because of death. It's got that noir vibe with narrator sections, which is nice but way below Max Payne levels of goodness. There's really a bunch of time spent in cinematics or sections with just dialogues, so that's pretty meh (skippable though). It would be terrible if the voice acting wasn't good, but the mobsters chew the scenery appropriately. Combat is nice, there's a variety of ways to kill people and you can use hands and tentacles at the same time, which is satisfying. There's a talent tree for combat buffs and abilities. Ultimately there's not that much combat, maybe two really challenging fights, you barely have the time to learn how to master your tricks that the game ends. Which might be a blessing, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Anyways, fun while it lasted.

Martyr

Arcane
neither Condemned nor Manhunt work on Windows 10.
I can't even get Condemned to start up, found no solution on the internet. either nobody is playing it on Win8/10 (had the same problem on Win8) or nobody is playing it at all. what a shame, Condemned is a gem.
in Manhunt I've got the bug that the gate in the tutorial doesn't open; there seem to be patch files that fix this problem, but vanilla is unplayable.

I don't remember having any issues with Condemned on Windows 8 (8.1), but switching to integrated graphics usually solved most compatibility problems for me.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't even get Condemned to start up, found no solution on the internet.

I've played Condemned last year on Windows 10 and the pcgamingwiki entry mentions Windows 10, so the OS might not be the problem. Note that if you have the DVD version the DRM might not work (i've played the Steam version - Monolith should release this on GOG too... and while they're at it, port the sequel to PC :-P). Try setting compatibility settings in the EXE file to Windows XP SP2. Also one common issue with old Lithtech Jupiter EX games is that some USB peripherals conflict with it and cause it to get stuck at the beginning. Try to remove all your USB devices (...including any razer or whatever "advanced" mouse/keyboard you may have) and plug them one by one to see if that causes it.

Also one thing i've found absolutely necessary for most old games is to run a framecapping tool, like RTSS, to limit the framerate at 60fps otherwise you get weird bugs from the very high framerates (e.g. in Condemned you get stuck in random garbage on the floor, like pebbles, etc - and the game is full of that).

Martyr

Arcane
I can't even get Condemned to start up, found no solution on the internet.

I've played Condemned last year on Windows 10 and the pcgamingwiki entry mentions Windows 10, so the OS might not be the problem. Note that if you have the DVD version the DRM might not work (i've played the Steam version - Monolith should release this on GOG too... and while they're at it, port the sequel to PC :-P). Try setting compatibility settings in the EXE file to Windows XP SP2. Also one common issue with old Lithtech Jupiter EX games is that some USB peripherals conflict with it and cause it to get stuck at the beginning. Try to remove all your USB devices (...including any razer or whatever "advanced" mouse/keyboard you may have) and plug them one by one to see if that causes it.

Also one thing i've found absolutely necessary for most old games is to run a framecapping tool, like RTSS, to limit the framerate at 60fps otherwise you get weird bugs from the very high framerates (e.g. in Condemned you get stuck in random garbage on the floor, like pebbles, etc - and the game is full of that).

thanks, I'll try again tomorrow and report back if it worked!

DraQ

Arcane
A lot of conflating brutality/gore with edginess ITT.
Yes, the games often feature both rather than just one, but those are mostly two distinct things.

Also, edgy tends to just end up being retarded more often than not.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
A lot of conflating brutality/gore with edginess ITT.
Yes, the games often feature rather than just one, but those are mostly two distinct things.

Also, edgy tends to just end up being retarded more often than not.
Per the OP, this thread is for both

sullynathan

Arcane
I always found gore in zombie games quite boring. They're zombies, they're already dead. Where's the fun in mutilating them?
Zombie is walking towards you. You shoot out it's legs, it's now permanently stuck on the floor and can only crawl. You shoot out its arms, it can no longer grab you. Mitigating the danger it can do since most zombies have to do a grab to hold and bite Leon or Claire. You shoot out both, it can't crawl or grab you meaning it does practically no damage now.
This matters because it allows you to conserve ammo because in Resident Evil 2, it can take upwards to 15 pistol bullets to kill a single Zombie even shooting at the head.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zombies are still boring enemies, the most fun in zombie settings is when you clash with other human survivor groups, or when you scrounge for resources to survive. That's why I enjoyed Dead State and Project Zomboid despite not being a fan of the zombie setting. Fighting against the actual zombies is boring.

sullynathan

Arcane
Zombies are still boring enemies, the most fun in zombie settings is when you clash with other human survivor groups, or when you scrounge for resources to survive. That's why I enjoyed Dead State and Project Zomboid despite not being a fan of the zombie setting. Fighting against the actual zombies is boring.
Old/Original/Remake RE is about resource management, puzzle solving, exploration and dodging zombies. Post RE4 was about fighting zomb.. err infected mutant things, they went more creative wtih what they wanted when fighting them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This thread is about gore and ultraviolence, and shooting zombies to bits never felt half as satisfying as shooting off a guy's arm in Soldier of Fortune, getting a gory crit death animation in Fallout, beheading someone with a shovel in Postal 2, etc.

Zombie gore is lame, it's like a sanitized version of living people gore.

orcinator

Liturgist
Remember that syndicate reboot? You know with the bloom and the dubstep. I played it on a whim recently recently (was a bitch to find a version that works on win10) because I didn't feel like watching an LP.
It's a by the number CoD clone with a shitty slowmo gimmick and the only memorable thing about it is the excessive number of civilian casualties; your agent buddy executes every civilian he sees and the rival corp goons are no different, nothing stops you from joining in on the action either. There's even a segment where you're given a minigun just as a crowd of civvies ends up running through a group of enemy soldiers.
Still, a pretty bad game I should have stuck to that video by that retard canadian.

Falksi

Arcane
I've just played through The Darkness 2, and it's good for what it is / I managed to get to the end.

It's very short, like around 6-10h, depending on cinematics and dialogue skipping & levels restarts because of death. It's got that noir vibe with narrator sections, which is nice but way below Max Payne levels of goodness. There's really a bunch of time spent in cinematics or sections with just dialogues, so that's pretty meh (skippable though). It would be terrible if the voice acting wasn't good, but the mobsters chew the scenery appropriately. Combat is nice, there's a variety of ways to kill people and you can use hands and tentacles at the same time, which is satisfying. There's a talent tree for combat buffs and abilities. Ultimately there's not that much combat, maybe two really challenging fights, you barely have the time to learn how to master your tricks that the game ends. Which might be a blessing, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Anyways, fun while it lasted.

I really couldn't get on with the 2nd, but absolutely loved the first. First one is a shit hot game all round, with some quality story moments. Mike Patton's voice is perfect for the role.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The 2010 AVP game has some "edgy" violence. The old games are also fairly violent although its not the focus and they are actually good unlike the one from 2010, which is average at best and has a very strong "console-game" feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ini2zcqqlCk&ab_channel=Skazo

Another game that focuses entirely on edgy violence is Madworld but I think its limited to Nintendo Wii. It is quite entertaining and works well with the gimmicky controls.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Blasphemous has some gruesome executions and kills, like this.

1568186250-52a.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom