Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Bloodborne revised the combat system to make it substantially more action-based and fast-paced, while simultaneously reducing the extent of character customization. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were already so action-based that they were borderline cases of the RPG genre, and Bloodborne clearly departed from the RPG genre into being an action game with RPG elements.
The small handful of weapons more or less feel the same. Some weapons are a bit slower and more damaging, while others are a bit quicker and less damaging, and a couple have neat gimmicks. But every weapon is designed around the combat system, which only ever rewards an aggressive play style.

No fucking way. Bloodborne's weapons are far superior to anything Dark Souls has done.
This is true. BB weapons are superior, but the game also essentially has only melee weapons. In dark souls you can play as a pure mage, or a ranger, or miracles or whatever and mix and match. And with or without shield. BB has a shield, but it sucks so no one uses it. It has ranged weapons, but the damage output and total capacity is incredibly small, they're basically just slightly different parries. It has some spells, but with few exceptions spell can't really be your primary thing, because the total capacity is pretty small(even with the massive amount of blood bullets you can pump out with all your blood vials).

BB also does really reward super aggressive play more than any other style, most enemies can be defeated by just wailing on the attack button, relying on the life leech to regain most of the lost hit points.

BB has the coolest setting though, and it's probably my second favorite of the soulsbornes. But it does lean very hard into the action part of action rpg, which has some costs.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://wccftech.com/elden-ring-release-april-2020/

Elden Ring To Launch In April 2020; Combat Mechanics Explained – Rumor
By Francesco De Meo
1 hour ago

Elden Ring, From Software’s next action role-playing developed in collaboration with George R.R. Martin, will be released on a yet to be announced release date, but rumors suggest it will be released in April 2020.

A few hours ago, Reddit user ExHanzo revealed that the game will be released on April 2020 and that the first gameplay footage will be shown at this year’s edition of The Game Awards in December.

ExHanzo also provided some interesting details on Elden Ring’s combat system and gameplay mechanics, which feel like a mix between the Souls series and this year’s Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Exploration also seems to be influenced by the Zelda series in some ways.

• Most of the combat is built upon the foundation of Souls series.

• The powers you get from the bosses are integrated to combos like the prosthetic in Sekiro but for all weapons.

• Some of those can also be used in the open world to open new path much like in Zelda.

• « FP » bar like is used and it is part of the new burn mechanic. Using these powers burns your arms until they become ashes. Your arms can also be cut by ennemies if burned to a certain degree. You can use mechanical arms as a weaker replacement.

• Limbs are dropped by ennemies but only some can be used as replacement for your arm. Most of the others are rotten or already burned. They can also be offered to « covenants ».

• Resting at specific « altar » fully recovers your arms.

• Stealth-kills allow to recover a bit from the burns.

• Specific skills like crouch, swim, dive, power stance, dash, crafting herbs, magic, dual wield, parry, deflect, climb, hiding in the environnement, faith, drain, roll, super armor, high jump, awareness, knowledge

• Skill trees with different paths.

• The skills attributed depend on your starting class. You obtain some skills during the game depending on your build by using skill points.

• Your arms are a new « mechanic » as well.

• There is a « hand » command.

• You have to sheath your weapon to use the Hand command.

• Grab and launch objects (interrupters, levers, rocks…), push rocks, inspect the walls and manually push blocks by using both the joystick and the grab command.

• No indication to what you can or can’t grab/push. By that I mean no text when you stand in front of a lever to activate it.
As all the information comes from an anonymous source, we have to take it with a grain of salt. ExHanzo, however, proved in the past of having access to insider information, talking about GRRM collaboration for Elden Ring, so there may be some truth in what he has revealed today.

Elden Ring launches on PC, PS4 and Xbox One on a yet to be confirmed release date.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
sekiro was cool and a game in the vein of sekiro but with more rpg elements and less reliance on OP shit to cheese bosses would make for an excellent game. excellent game!!!!

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
7 months to go and no footage? I actually like it. In this era of excessive pre realease coverage from clickbait websites, forums, streamers and youtubers is refreshing having some kind of sense of wonder.

I think this time I'm going almost blind. I didn't even read the post with the game mechancis. Day 1, and I don't care.

Perkel

Arcane
"Most of the combat is built on Souls foundations". That sounds like it's gonna be stamina-based with rolling instead of posture/block-based like Sekiro.

Let us see first. Sekiro was supposed to be souls like game but it wasn't.

Grimlorn

Arcane
How long has this game been in development? It was only announced recently and no game footage. If it's only been developed for about 2-3 years, I'm assuming they'd have to heavily base the combat system on Souls games. I was hoping they'd come up with something new and different.

Holy shit, between this and Cyberpunk, might have to get fired in April.

I am actually very interested in this game, based on my experience with Dark Souls. I feel like if they took the foundation of Dark Souls 1 (challenging, interesting combat, brilliantly designed world with tons of interconnections to discover, subtle lore), then maybe added combat improvements from Sekiro, and diluted the combat somewhat (not every few steps but in a more open world format), added more dialogue and exploration elements (climbing, swimming, etc), this coudl be really special.

Grimlorn

Arcane
How long has this game been in development?

Since they finished the last DS3 DLC, i.e. since the early 2017.

Three full years for an open world RPG seems a bit too short, hopefully it's not gonna be riddled with bugs.
It's not only short for an open world RPG, but it also makes me wonder if they're going to do another minimalist type story similar to Souls games. I doubt GRRM contributed much. Of course they don't have enough time to invent a new combat system so they'll have to use the same Souls one. I was hoping they'd try something completely new.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Jenkem

87e264afd1c4ffd4b5601a03ae88935a126ca712_full.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom