Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

FromSoftware's next game is apparently a Game of Thrones inspired RPG written by George R.R. Martin, and it might be nearly finished
Fucking journalists man, they just can't help themselves being retarded at all times. This is pure misinformation. Just because RRM wrote some of the lore for this game doesn't make it "Game of Thrones inspired".

Gerrard

Arcane
s8l2dLO.jpg

Black Angel

Arcane
True. Sekiro was also supposed to be a pure action game instead of the half-assed aRPG that it actually was.
Whatever RPG elements are there in Sekiro are very, very trivial they might as well not be there at all.

Yes. Hence the "half-assed" part.
Right, but I still think Sekiro is still a pure action game. Well, maybe not actual *pure*, but definitely purer than even Bloodborne.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well I studied music for over 3 years and the Dark Souls/Demon's Souls music is a very eccentric, idiosyncratic stuff, definitely not something with a general appeal like Soule's Skyrim. Seems to take its cues from experimental texturing like Ligeti (the atonal, amorphous music from 2001 if anyone remembers).

The orchestration seems very poor, as if due to budgetary reasons, but it can be intentional, hard to say. That said some pieces like the Ash Lake or Maiden Astraea are very traditionally attractive, easily some of my favourite vidya music ever.

Last edited:
Have there been any gameplay reveals yet? I remember an old one saying it won't have towns, just sparse NPCs, and something about prosthetics, but I mean, will it have more exploration than Soulsbourne games? In those, the combat was too prevalent to really explore. I am hoping this one will still have good combat From Software is known for, but less of it, giving you a chance to participate in other stuff.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Have there been any gameplay reveals yet? I remember an old one saying it won't have towns, just sparse NPCs, and something about prosthetics, but I mean, will it have more exploration than Soulsbourne games? In those, the combat was too prevalent to really explore. I am hoping this one will still have good combat From Software is known for, but less of it, giving you a chance to participate in other stuff.

Gameplay reveal was rumoured for the Game Awards, but alas, womp womp.

Btw Souls had fantastic exploration, what are you even talking about? Combat doesn't prevent you to explore. Elden Ring is supposed to have horse riding so part of the world will be probably flat. I imagine something like Darksiders 2 - flat, simple world dotted with local, complex "instances". Dungeons, towers, castles, the like. If so the open-world areas will probably feel just as dumb and pointless as in Darksiders 2.

Souls had a certain type of exloration, but it wasn't quite as good as exploration in a less combat centric RPG: e.g. Gothic 1/2, BotW. There was just too much combat, you ran into an enemy every few steps. I would like Elder Ring to be more spaced out.

Deflowerer

Arcane

Btw Souls had fantastic exploration, what are you even talking about? Combat doesn't prevent you to explore. Elden Ring is supposed to have horse riding so part of the world will be probably flat. I imagine something like Darksiders 2 - flat, simple world dotted with local, complex "instances". Dungeons, towers, castles, the like. If so the open-world areas will probably feel just as dumb and pointless as in Darksiders 2.

There were plenty of nooks and crannies in Darksiders 2 overworld, it wasn't as simple and flat as you point it out to be.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There were plenty of nooks and crannies in Darksiders 2 overworld, it wasn't as simple and flat as you point it out to be.
but alot of it aren't even worth exploring because you get level scaled random loot anyway.

it would be much better if it's more like DS1/zelda with the heart pieces / weapon shard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom