Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic Arts returns to Steam

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Oct 22, 2019.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    [​IMG] https://old.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/dlefme/seems_like_ea_is_coming_back_to_steam/

• Brofist x 4
    • meh x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Maybe they want to compete with GOG Galaxy 2.0?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. passerby Savant

passerby
    Judging by this screenshot the categories and games list change is pretty bad, huge fornt, huge spacing, it'll fit half, or less games within same window height and the icons are gone.

It's still better than any other store, though. So I should be grateful that the changes are so tame, I guess...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    That's earlier design that was never available to users.

This is the current one:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. passerby Savant

passerby
    Cool, crisis averted.

^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

It'd be cool if they released all their old games that are on GOG.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Multi-headed Cow Savant

Multi-headed Cow
    I hope that Dragon Age 2 comes with all the DLC. Engorges my autism glands when they don't sell a complete package years after the fact, like as far as I'm aware Mass Effect 2 and 3 don't have a complete bundle even though EA's got a Mass Effect trilogy pack on Origin. And yet Inquisition inexplicably has a complete edition so I actually bought it. For $5 during a sale, but I bought it regardless.

• decline x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    I hope Dragon Age 2 and everything/one related to it gets buried down a deep well, then embedded in concrete and provided with a big Warning for future generations not to touch or go near.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Don't be ridiculous, cousin. How will poor EA earn they paychecks otherwise?

[​IMG]

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    That "Mass Effect trilogy pack" on Origin doesn't include the DLC's, either.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, if we're lucky the Steam releases will be EA's excuse to finally bundle and discount those ridiculously priced BioWare DLCs in a Complete Edition for each game. (inb4 they release them separately like it was still 2011)

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Multi-headed Cow Savant

Multi-headed Cow
    Yup, that's why I was bitching about it. And why it strikes me as weird that DAI actually DOES have a pack with the DLC, since it's still EA and still Bioware.

^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    All classic origin games(including ME1/2, DA:O, DA2) have their DLC available for free.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    EA officially announced its return to Steam, starting with Jedi: Fallen Order, followed by Sims 4 and Unravel 2 ("in the coming months"), Apex Legends, FIFA 20, Battlefield V (next year):

And they're going to sell EA Access, the subscription service, on Steam: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-29-ea-returns-to-steam

• gimme dem dolla bills x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    The beta client is fucked, after last update it hangs immediately if hardware acceleration is on. If it's off, then it's incredibly sluggish. If you reinstall Steam and try using the old client, it doesn't work because the Steam service has wrong signature and cannot be loaded (and apparently this was reported a month ago).

Your post in the thread The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread was moved to Electronic Arts games return to Steam. Reason: hell, why not?

Because my post is very related to EA coming back to Steam.
    Good job you fucking retard.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Hirato Purse-Owner Patron

Hirato
    Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I kind of skimmed it, but I didn't see any mention about whether the Origin client will be required or if the integration is optional.

If it is required, then his entire spiel about "reducing market fragmentation" would've been pure prattle...

^ Top  
  17. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    It's required. On Fallen Order's Steam page:

DICE community guy feels pride and accomplishments in this:

So, since they are going to sell subscription I guess there are high chance that more classic games will be released too?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    https://www.ea.com/news/ea-and-valve-partnership

Valve capitulates: EA Access (EA's subscription model) making its way to Steam.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Well, there have been MMOs (for example EVE Online) with subscription models on Steam for a long time. IIRC, the pretext for EA's departure from Steam back in 2011 was their refusal to sell BioWare DLCs through Steam.

^ Top  
  20. ultimanecat Erudite

ultimanecat
    While we’ll probably never hear it, I wonder if the deal was entirely one-sided. I doubt Valve needed to “capitulate” to EA more than EA was tired of missing out on a huge percentage of the PC market, but beyond selling EA Access I’m curious if EA got some sweetheart deal out of Valve. Hard to say since I don’t think EA are in all that strong a place right now outside Madden, FIFA, and Apex Legends.

^ Top  
  21. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So basically, you can buy origin games via steam's interface?

Pass.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    It could be that EA is satisfied with the user base they've built up on Origin, and expect that most of those users will continue buying EA games directly from Origin. If so then putting their games up on Steam will mean extra sales to new users, without having to give Valve a cut of sales to the core fanbase.

^ Top  
  23. Squadcar Learned

Squadcar
    This is a fair possibility. That alongside Origin Access subscriber base may seem good enough. I think they want more people on their subscription rather than paying for games.

^ Top  
  24. Dux Erudite

Dux
    If I can play some select EA games on Steam and bypass the Origin faggotry altogether, then fine.

But if I can't then what the fuck is the point?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. normie Scholar Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    Black & White 1 and 2 plz

• incline incline x 2
    • :( :( x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)