Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Piranha Bytes is basically dead. They are just going to continue to churn out mediocre console games for a Publisher, as that's what they have to do to stay employed.

They are never ever ever going to do anything like the older 2 Gothic games.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Their setting is make or break, as far as I'm concerned. If I'm seeing equivalents of fire and water mages in their next game, I will be crying a lot. Or be indifferent, which is even worse.

In Risens case it at least makes sense since it is the same setting as Gothic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
PB died after Risen 1 when they failed to simply replicate that. It's all they had to do but amazingly they couldn't even pull that off. As far as what they're working on now it doesn't really matter as I'm sure Derp Silver is funding it. Anyway, if you haven't played the first Risen it's certainly worth it as a 'Gothic 4'. Better than Gothic 3, for sure.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I cannot still believe the changes they made for Risen 2. That was literally shooting themselves in the foot...

Voodoo stuff and mind control was good and some pirate skill were fun to use but those are the only things worth mentioing from Risen 2 imo.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Problem with the mind control is that it only really featured in one place. Also didn't help that factions were effectively erased with the only difference between Inquisition or Natives is the ability to train the highest level of muskets or voodoo respectively. Well... that and firearms (at least muskets) broke combat. It's like they sat down and brainstormed how they could undermine every gameplay aspect that made their previous games (excluding G3) great.

Tigranes

Arcane
Risen 1 starts out nicely but goes downhill pretty fast in the last third.

They were being true to their roots.

I still love Risen 1. It has its popamole issues but it's just a very loveable game - properly done, challenging open world RPGs are as rare now as they were 15 years ago and R1 also brought in a fun colonial texture. I actually thought the idea to play up pirates and natives could be very interesting, but, well, we know what they did with that.

Shin

Cipher
My biggest gripe with the Gothic/Risen games (and any type of similar action/RPG hybrid) is that after playing Dark Souls (2) they all fail in the combat department. I loved the heck outta Gothic 1 and 2 back in the days and thought the real time combat was the best thing ever (I was used to Daggerfall) but my last return to Gothic 2 wasn't all that pleasant.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They were being true to their roots.

This. People forget going downhill at the end was the standard deal with G1 and G2 too (not G3 due to its open endings).

Absolutely love the games from G1 to R1, with the properly updated G3 probably being my favourite. I had modicum of fun with R2 but it was a serious decline. Haven't played R3 yet.

I haven't given up on PB completely yet. If it's true they made R3 only to make good on the trilogy agreement then maybe there's still some hope for the hypothetical new IP, especially with the "me too" effect of Skyrim lately. Even a decline G3 knock off could be better than majority of the diarrhea gushing from the anuses of the AAA industry collective.

Tigranes

Arcane
What with Two Worlds developers still making games, it would indeed be a pity if PB could not have another go.

Absalom

At first I confused Piranha Bytes with Piranha Games, whose currently running the Mechwarrior IP into the ground. Nice to know there's a consistency in dev quality aside from the names.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Risen 3 was revealed only a few months before release, so I think it will still be quite a while before we see any kind of announcement from PB about their next game.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Piranha Bytes is basically dead. They are just going to continue to churn out mediocre console games for a Publisher, as that's what they have to do to stay employed.

They are never ever ever going to do anything like the older 2 Gothic games.

Risen 1 is comparable in quality to older Gothic games (and I say that as someone who grew up on them). It makes me rage people put it in the same basket as the sequels when there was a massive drop in quality.

I find first Risen to be a legitimately great game (which shares many of the strengths and flaws with first two Gothics), not good for what it is or solid or whatever.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I find first Risen to be a legitimately great game (which shares many of the strengths and flaws with first two Gothics), not good for what it is or solid or whatever.

Oh yes the first Risen was very fun. I really liked it.

Then came Risen 2..... and Risen 3.... and now it's all a downward spiral. I don't blame PB though. They need to make Console games for Deep Silver to survive, and this is all we are going to see from them in the future.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Do the consolefags even care about Risen? They hated Risen 1, not only because it was optimized like an old dry turd, but they really hated the gameplay as well and how it didn't hold your hand enough like their precious Oblibian.

Xeon

Augur
Was Risen 1 on console? I remember AngryJoe hating Risen 2 and 3 and him saying that didn't have the chance to play Risen 1 because it was only on PC or something in his Risen 2 review IIRC.

Risen 2 kinda had bad combat with the awkward parry skill or something, granted that's probably my fault because I am not accustomed to those sorta game but yea, I didn't like it. I just ran around shooting everything until it got pretty boring.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Was Risen 1 on console? I remember AngryJoe hating Risen 2 and 3 and him saying that didn't have the chance to play Risen 1 because it was only on PC or something in his Risen 2 review IIRC.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Oh dear. Looks like SOMEONE couldn't play the game without a quest compass. :lol:

It's almost embarrassing how moronic that person looks on camera. Zero acting talent, critical thinking or understanding of the genre.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Risen 2 kinda had bad combat with the awkward parry skill or something, granted that's probably my fault because I am not accustomed to those sorta game but yea, I didn't like it. I just ran around shooting everything until it got pretty boring.
Please don't blame yourself for not liking Risen 2.

agris

Arcane
Patron
As someone who really likes Gothic 1 & 2, and couldn't bring themselves to play G3/4, Risen 1 was a fun game. The ending was shit, but that was the very ending. It scratched that old gothic itch.

Shannow

Waster of Time
There is no such thing as G4.
Risen1 continues G3's plot/lore without using the names for obvious reasons. But that's as close as we ever got to G4.
Heretics talk about something called "Arcania", but that way lies madness. Do not believe the lies of the deceivers.

Also: R1 was good for what it was. It did setting/plot/dialogues (slightly) worse than G1/2/3, but gameplay was significantly worse than G1/2. /Just so this opinion was also expressed.

agris

Arcane
Patron
There is no such thing as G4.
Risen1 continues G3's plot/lore without using the names for obvious reasons. But that's as close as we ever got to G4.
Heretics talk about something called "Arcania", but that way lies madness. Do not believe the lies of the deceivers.

Also: R1 was good for what it was. It did setting/plot/dialogues (slightly) worse than G1/2/3, but gameplay was significantly worse than G1/2. /Just so this opinion was also expressed.
Is G3 with the community patch worth it? Back in the day, when I saw it was developed 'Bethesda-style', I was turned off by it. The buggy reputation didn't help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom