Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, Gothic 2 and 3 just got rereleased on GOG today and their new publisher (after Nordic) is Piranha Bytes, like Gothic 1 now too.

http://af.gog.com/forum/general/rerelease_gothic_2_gothic_3_1f348?as=1649904300

Don't know if it's going to mean anything in terms of future games in the Gothic universe, but I thought that was worth taking notes.

This also happend back then about Gothic 4 Arcania,

"in September 2014, Nordic Games dropped Gothic 4 from the game's title, with no statement being offered so far of why this action has been done, but left fans speculating that it may be related with Piranha Bytes getting back the rights to the Gothic series. Also all references that connected Arcania with the Gothic series have been removed from the game's description."

Perhaps PB is going back to Gothic universe? Not something im looking forward after Risen 2-3 sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I had so much fun with Risen 2. It was one of those games that despite being obviously shitty i enjoyed a great deal and finished. I didnt play any Gothics after 1/2, but Risen struck me in a fashion the others didn't. It was sorta like Divinity Original Sin with its combination of cheesy b movie feel combined with some moments of genuine brilliance. I even enjoyed Risen 2 more than 1 "gasp". But I cant say they are great games, only that I enjoyed them, in the way that ive enjoyed certain women that my mates will never understand.

M0RBUS

Augur
Care to elaborate what is that 90% of games? Divinity OS? Wasteland 2? AoD? PoE? DA3? Underrail? KotC2? Shadowruns?
Nah, I meant it like in a general sense. But I do find Gothic 3 more enjoyable than Divnity OS, which, to me, was boring as shit. The rest I love, except for DA3.

And DA3 wtf :lol:
I know, right? :lol:

You realize those games represent like 0.1% of games released per year, right?

My point precisely. Don't read too much into what I wrote. If the question is do I like mainstream crap that's shovelfed to the masses in the name of teh shiny and fat lewt, the answer is yeah, sometimes. But my favorite game of 2014 was NEO Scavenger, so don't go judging me just because I found Gothic 3 enjoyable or because I logged more than 200h on Diablo 3.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I had so much fun with Risen 2. It was one of those games that despite being obviously shitty i enjoyed a great deal and finished. I didnt play any Gothics after 1/2, but Risen struck me in a fashion the others didn't. It was sorta like Divinity Original Sin with its combination of cheesy b movie feel combined with some moments of genuine brilliance. I even enjoyed Risen 2 more than 1 "gasp". But I cant say they are great games, only that I enjoyed them, in the way that ive enjoyed certain women that my mates will never understand.

So, what were Risen 2's "moments of genuine brilliance" exactly?

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I don't have any need to defend it since you likely wont agree anyway, the same that one doesnt need to prove their religion to others in order to have one.
I enjoyed that it felt ramshackle and easily breakable like Ultima Underworld. I felt like even if i was stuck in a cheesey world with poor mechanics i could still approach those however i wanted to. The way it was unbalanced and made you figure out its own systems without relying on your radn'nbad dnd knowledge or bioware experience. I could send a monkey into a house to steal a girls panties. nuff said.
If you hated 2worlds, and Dark Earth, and Divinity 2 or Fall Of Gaia then maybe you just wont get it. thats fine. It let me act like I could troll the game and play with freedom even if I was conscious of the act that my character is aware of the fact that hes a bit player in a shit game.
I dont know,. you get it or you dont.
I liked Ultima Underworld more than 7, even if it was cheesier and less "tight" but it didnt go total sandbox and remove the fun if not (nobel prize winning) story.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Basically you had fun fucking around and are easily amused.

I know that feel bro.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Its a feeling GTA will never give me, but the occasional clunky Euro rpg makes me happier than Mario in Princess Maker. Risen 2 just felt like Gothic 2 but if Disney execs took over and said "Make hurr moar Cappn Sparrow-ey"

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

ban this man

himmy

Arcane
Sure, G3 has shitty, exploitable combat and, sure, it loses steam in the second half, but god damn it, every few years, when I reinstall it, it gives me a few dozen hours of running around the first part of the game and I have a lot of fun with it every time. It's one of the games that I only finished once, but I started over 10 times. That makes it, ultimately, a poor game, but before I get bored by it, hunting bandits on the coast, going though dank caves looking for loot and listening to ridiculous conversations in cities is great, amazing fun.

Fuck the haters! :obviously:

Edit: I'm playing it right now, and it's (still) great!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You can have fun with flawed games or even bad games. It's something most codexers will never understand and will laugh about, while on the way home to the quite bland and average woman they will have sex with tonight.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Piranha Bytes games tl;dn.
Gothic 1 - kind of hard to get into becouse hard control system, but it pay with atmosphere, dialogues(not best but still add something) and maybe some nostalgia.
Gothic 2 - Best of the best, with Night of the Raven one of better games I played. And if you don't agree with me, well... I can say only this in potato 'Powiedzmy sobie szczerze. Przyszedłeś tutaj tylko dlatego, żeby móc pocałować DU w dupę!'
Gothic 3 - worst of the series, but after large amount of patches it is good game. Well... at least medicore.
Risen 1 - nice game, have some Gothic spirit. Can give large amount of fun.
Risen 2 - nope. This is big fucking nope.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They admited that they have no idea why Gothic was so successful game, hence - they have no clue how to improve or even get inspiration from it for future games, thus why Risen 2+3 were weaker.
That's why expecting anything from them now is pointless (unless they deliver incline, would play).

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Here's a tour of their studios from last year.

Aaand the same from a couple of years earlier.

Nael

Arcane
1:10 On that second video :lol:

*Sad Music Playing During Studio Tour*
"And this cup is from Thomas.. Who is not actually working here anymore......... Nevermind"

fallen_soldier_wallpaper_background_31241.jpg

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

"And this cup is from Thomas.. Who is not actually working here anymore......... Nevermind"

Thomas (Putzki) worked there from 1997-1999, so the fact that his coffee mug is still there makes me suspect that PB are HOARDERS. :M

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Thomas (Putzki) worked there from 1997-1999, so the fact that his coffee mug is still there makes me suspect that PB are HOARDERS. :M

Or they can't afford new fucking cups because they make shit games. :lol:

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Or they can't afford new fucking cups because they make shit games. :lol:

They had to eat Thomas since they can't afford groceries.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Whoa whoa whoa, there's a Risen 3? What's the consensus?

Did you work for Piranha Bytes?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I feel upbeat about their next game because

a) It's not another Risen.
b) 512MB RAM restrictions left behind for good.

I feel like I should install Gothic 3 + Mods now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom