Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

ortucis

Prophet
They didn't fix a single thing in Gothic 3, it was 100% crap.

I enjoyed it. It was my first Gothic game.. and I came from playing Oblivion (my first third person open world RPG, what a shit-fest that was), which I mistook for Gothic 3 whose screenshots I saw somewhere a year before Oblivion and G3 were released.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe you're right. Come to think back, I am not sure I used mouse or gamepad for Elex. It didn't matter because I only used melee, like a man. Ranged combat is OP and for girly men and pussies.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
You're furry. You should only use transformation spells or smth no?

Btw, i played first Gothic games with m+kb without an incident. Only faggots have problems with them.

ultra loser

Scholar
It took me 40 hours to finish the first chapter and 10 hours to finish the remaining chapters. I rushed to the places where quest arrows led me near the end because there is no reward for exploring, I had enough of those cups and forks already. Hope they will make exploration more worthwhile in the sequel because the world itself was all right, and bring back picking up weapons from bodies.
Combat was suprisingly clunkier than in old Gothics, your character doesn't want to turn around so often after you kill someone you will continue to hit in the same direction instead of the enemy to you left unless you completely go out of combat stance and manually turn.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Picked up this game this weekend and its got a great hook and looks polished. Started up my game, 17 minutes in "Would you like to check to see if Clerics in the mine are alive?" Said "sure" then walked over and got killed immediately. That was my... oh, fuck, it's the same combat system, just in a more polished package.

Please tell me the game isn't running around kiting enemies while chipping away at their health? I lived through Gothic, barely tolerated combat in Risen, but just not sure I can do the Piranah Bytes combat again...

Everything else I like - made it to first village, got turned away at the pit, etc. Then went to two more quest combat areas and was killed immediately. I may have to give this a pass as I am not a Dark Souls type of gamer.

razvedchiki

Erudite
watch the video i posted,you need to learn how to time your attacks and anything is doable,i also despise combat systems that relly on players input/reflex.
hitboxes are a bit off though but manageable.

Deleted Member 16721

This game is the best open-world ARPG released since New Vegas. Just get stronger, do non-combat quests and get a companion ASAP and your experience will be a great one. Truly an excellent, excellent game, one of PB's best.

And for the love of God, if an enemy doesn't take much damage from your initial attack just run away instead of trying to cheese your way through the battle. Tons of clueless reviews on Steam will tell you the game is unbalanced but you're not supposed to kill everything you see at level 1. Sheesh. Same reviews come for Kingmaker from people who clearly have Skyrim Syndrome, i.e. SEE ENEMY, KILL, NO THOUGHT NEEDED. Real CRPGs aren't like that.

Elex

Arbiter
Picked up this game this weekend and its got a great hook and looks polished. Started up my game, 17 minutes in "Would you like to check to see if Clerics in the mine are alive?" Said "sure" then walked over and got killed immediately. That was my... oh, fuck, it's the same combat system, just in a more polished package.

Please tell me the game isn't running around kiting enemies while chipping away at their health? I lived through Gothic, barely tolerated combat in Risen, but just not sure I can do the Piranah Bytes combat again...

Everything else I like - made it to first village, got turned away at the pit, etc. Then went to two more quest combat areas and was killed immediately. I may have to give this a pass as I am not a Dark Souls type of gamer.
when in doubt use the jetpack.

Deleted Member 16721

Or learn which enemies to avoid at first and don't engage. You don't have to be a Dark Souls player to play this game, quite the opposite as it's a true CRPG. Stick skills are far secondary to your character's stats, weapons and companion choice.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Please tell me the game isn't running around kiting enemies while chipping away at their health?

Unfortunately it is for the first half or so.

Two tips:
- keep selling all the crap you don't need, keep buying elex and levelling your stats. Then try to get a solid weapon (chainsaber is the best early-game one IIRC). Look it up if you must.
- switch to ranged as soon as possible, ranged is OP

Deleted Member 16721

It's only that way if you don't know what you're doing. You need to learn which enemies to avoid and which you can kill, and avoid the ones that are too strong. I played for hundreds of hours and never had the experience of "kiting and chipping away at health", etc.. That's only if you approach it like Skyrim - SEE ENEMY, KILL ENEMY, RINSE REPEAT. The game is a handcrafted CRPG where some monsters should be avoided and others can be killed, and the ones who are strong are also sprinkled around the map with the weak ones. You need a survival sense in the game, which you'll get by playing it more. Again, I've played it for hundreds of hours and never once had the experience the other poster was describing. You need to learn the game and its philosophy behind the design.

ultra loser

Scholar
Doesn't help that much in fight because some idiot thought that every enemy having a range attack was a good idea. As if getting on some high rock and cheesing enemies with a bow wasn't the best part of Gothic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It's only that way if you don't know what you're doing. You need to learn which enemies to avoid and which you can kill, and avoid the ones that are too strong.

That's given. My point still stands. For many, MANY hours there are barely enemies you can comfortably take on. So the end result is you are running from pretty much everything. The Skyrim of doing things is bad, obviously, but PB did not exactly struck an ideal balance here either.

Deleted Member 16721

That's given. My point still stands. For many, MANY hours there are barely enemies you can comfortably take on. So the end result is you are running from pretty much everything. The Skyrim of doing things is bad, obviously, but PB did not exactly struck an ideal balance here either.

But you're assuming that ELEX plays by the rules of other games. Combat is supposed to be avoided, it's not a combat-heavy game at first. This is by design. You can't approach it like it needs to fit some blueprint because it's an open-world ARPG and you've played other open-world ARPGs so it should be this or that way. Nice avatar by the way, I loved that Mercenaries game on Genesis back in the day. :brodex:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Please tell me the game isn't running around kiting enemies while chipping away at their health?

Two tips:
- keep selling all the crap you don't need, keep buying elex and levelling your stats. Then try to get a solid weapon (chainsaber is the best early-game one IIRC). Look it up if you must.
- switch to ranged as soon as possible, ranged is OP
Ok, that's helpful - I like a lot of this game. I really, really liked being dumped off and then given free range (or the illusion of it, I don't know, haven't played enough.) There just has to be some compromise with the combat - there are enemies that take bites, and there are more that take chunks. I'm a veteran of PB games so I know what I'm in for.

Not arguing for dumbing down or making things easier, just feeling like PB combat is a niche that may be a little too .. German for my liking. The jetpack - I completely forgot about, and maybe their compromise at adding some way of backing out of certain death that seems to be around every corner.

Deleted Member 16721

Yes, you can avoid most creatures and get out of a fight if it's over your head. That's what you're supposed to do, and that's why there's skills like the one that shows living creatures automatically from a distance (Survival skill, you can get sunglasses that do it too). You shouldn't even be in much combat from the start.

Old One

Arcane
Since your character starts off as a wimp it's hard to learn PB combat at first. Once your character becomes more skilled the combat makes a lot more sense, but in order to become more skilled you have to do some fighting while neither you nor your character are any good at it.

Deleted Member 16721

Since your character starts off as a wimp it's hard to learn PB combat at first. Once your character becomes more skilled the combat makes a lot more sense, but in order to become more skilled you have to do some fighting while neither you nor your character are any good at it.

Eh, not as much true in ELEX as other PB games. In ELEX you have to do non-combat quests in Berserkers Camp and get stronger, then just fight menial enemies like young rats or young molerats or whatever. It's not really a combat-heavy game at all for many hours at the beginning, it's a different type of game.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Just started playing for the first time..5 hours in..probably my fav PB game after Risen 2. Plays exactly lile good ol PB so far. Looks great too and i love the jetpack. The main character is as usualy a rude smartass its great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom