Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Murk

Arcane
There are no level 1 trolls, all enemy stats are fixed to the enemy type.

You can also tell if an enemy is too strong for you because when you see their HP it has a symbol indicating it's much higher level. Yeah, you may have to go there and see it and decide "well, guess I'm not ready for this" but then such is life.

If that alone stops you from having fun with this game, I dare say you were never gonna have fun with it in the first place.

I feel like recommended levels for quests could be communicated more naturally if before taking the quest the quest giver would actually react/laugh out loud depending on your equipped gear and level whether you are actually suitable for the job (not like they'll have any qualms about sending your underleveled ass to your death regardless). Doesn't mean quest givers need to be 100% truthful about your chances of success either...

This is actually in line with what I would expect from a PB game, and gives good opportunities for unscrupulous types to send you to your death to then loot you -- imagine a more nuanced version of the quest in Gothic 1 with the thugs outside. Though honestly even just _naming_ the monster kind of does that.

"A troll killed my men" probably shouldn't need to be followed with "by the way the Troll is really strong".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, you may have to go there and see it and decide "well, guess I'm not ready for this" but then such is life.

Also, another thing which makes the argument that "zomg ur wasting time by going over and seeing urbad" void is that PB world building has "concentric" quest placement, where multiple quests of various power levels are all put in the same general area. So even if the trorr turns out too strong for you, you can still go on and finish whatever easy fetch quest that is 10 steps away from it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I think they just expect anyone playing to be familiar with how things work by now.
They shouldn't try to dissuade players by just making things hard, people are just going to try and cheese the fight because in most games challenging = big reward.

A level recommendation or something for those "go here kill X" quest wouldn't hurt though.
The game as janky and wonky as fuck, but level recommendations are fucking gay. I'll take the shit combat and the shit pacing of things and the shit enemy/encounter/itemization design and the shit quest distribution over meta hand-holding any day of the week.

Murk

Arcane
Yeah, you may have to go there and see it and decide "well, guess I'm not ready for this" but then such is life.

Also, another thing which makes the argument that "zomg ur wasting time by going over and seeing urbad" void is that PB world building has "concentric" quest placement, where multiple quests of various power levels are all put in the same general area. So even if the trorr turns out too strong for you, you can still go on and finish whatever easy fetch quest that is 10 steps away from it.

About 90% of the time when I went to an area to do quest X (since I wasn't using the auto-track thing, I usually didn't know the exact area to go) I'd end up doing quests A, B, C, and exploring areas D, E, and F en route. This is a PB game, it's all about exploration and in this one you get a fucking jetpack. Who gives a shit if the one thing you went to find is too strong, go to the 50 other things between where you got the quest and where the quest is.

ultra loser

Scholar
Also is there anything I should know before playing? I'm only like 30 minutes in
Don't waste time killing enemies, do as many quests as you can that do not require you to fight. If you have to collect something and there are enemies nearby, just take it and jetpack the fuck out.

Spend all money on pure elex, just save 30000 on the best armor. You can find some 13 or 14 def factionless armor for free.

Go to to those greenpeace fags first, then domed city, then desert gypsies and then clerics city if you want smooth difficulty increase.

Murk

Arcane
Sir, if you compare the great and noble Outlaws to gypsies again you and I will have cause to settle this outside.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the companions were pretty good, I liked Ray but the game kinda expected you to. Falk was hilarious though, mostly for his random commentary.

aeroaeko

Learned
Also is there anything I should know before playing? I'm only like 30 minutes in
Don't waste time killing enemies, do as many quests as you can that do not require you to fight. If you have to collect something and there are enemies nearby, just take it and jetpack the fuck out.

Spend all money on pure elex, just save 30000 on the best armor. You can find some 13 or 14 def factionless armor for free.

Go to to those greenpeace fags first, then domed city, then desert gypsies and then clerics city if you want smooth difficulty increase.
Ok I have made it to the Outlaw city so far. What should I be spending my character points and learning points on? I really like high charisma dialogue / talker builds. Is that a thing in this game?

Deleted Member 16721

I'm just happy that I'm not the only one who understands this game. Judging by the Steam forums when it released I thought I was the only one. It was downright embarassing the threads that would be started there, by people who have no clue how the game is supposed to play. Nice to see the Codex bros get it, at least most of them. Rock on, brofists for all of you.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I feel like recommended levels for quests could be communicated more naturally if before taking the quest the quest giver would actually react/laugh out loud depending on your equipped gear and level whether you are actually suitable for the job

This is in line with what I was thinking.
More diegetic and in-universe ways to convey to the player that they'll get their ass beat if they don't level up/gear up, rather than marching over to X and then fucking off when your attacks don't make a dent in their health bar.

Deleted Member 16721

More diegetic and in-universe ways to convey to the player that they'll get their ass beat if they don't level up/gear up, rather than marching over to X and then fucking off when your attacks don't make a dent in their health bar.

I think in general games need more "Philosophy Tutorials". Berserker dude at the beginning tells you it's a dangerous world but people are like, "meh, whatever, it's not true, it's just flavor text, I've played RPGs before, etc.". More ways to convey to the player that it actually IS dangerous and you CAN'T do certain things until you're much stronger, have higher rep with a faction and so on. More handholding in that area at the beginning would be good, because players think it's just your typical RPG bullshit and every game is like Skyrim - SEE ENEMY, KILL ENEMY, NO THOUGHT NEEDED. Skyrim Syndrome I call it.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
hey bro there's a troll out there that butchered all my friends and sodomised me before leaving me for dead i'll give you some bucks if you keal it

hmmm i wonder if lvl 1 jax with a 2x4 can handle this quest might as well try

Come on, there is like one quest that actually goes like that. For the most part, quests are set up as standard fetch or kill quests. So far, its been trial and error on every quest, with most of the trial and error simply being how to avoid the creatures in the area. I don't find that fun but to each his own.

Where this game falls apart is "One Alb, Jax, a renowned Alb commander is selected..." who wakes up without armor and ... no longer knows how to fight, has no skills (what, the Elex in his body gave him crafting 1 skill?), knows nothing about the creatures of the environment or his planet, never heard of factions/has to be explained to who the albs are, etc. It's up to me as the player to discover everything about the creatures that the character would know - including which enemies are dangerous.

I'm just happy that I'm not the only one who understands this game. Judging by the Steam forums when it released I thought I was the only one. It was downright embarassing the threads that would be started there, by people who have no clue how the game is supposed to play. Nice to see the Codex bros get it, at least most of them. Rock on, brofists for all of you.

The poor balance is not a feature. Running from 99% of enemies isn't a feature. So far, combat sucks and quests are poorly balanced, but the rest of the game is fantastic. They did a bad job of balance.

Lets look at this differently - you spend 10 hours in the game world so you can begin handling enemies. In Elex, you don't spend those 10 hours learning the intricate combat system - there are only a few attacks. No, you spend those 10 hours doing dialog quests to get enough points to buy skills. In the 10 hours I talk to everyone and learn the deep lore my character should already know. What you don't do is spend time learning fighting to get better. You spend time not fighting to spend points on fighting which then gives you a chance.

Also, I am 6 hours into this game and I have 300 bucks, and a +1 to armor shirt is 500 bucks. Bullshit!!! Give me the damn shirt, man!

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I think in general games need more "Philosophy Tutorials". Berserker dude at the beginning tells you it's a dangerous world but people are like, "meh, whatever, it's not true, it's just flavor text, I've played RPGs before, etc.". More ways to convey to the player that it actually IS dangerous and you CAN'T do certain things until you're much stronger, have higher rep with a faction and so on. More handholding in that area at the beginning would be good, because players think it's just your typical RPG bullshit and every game is like Skyrim - SEE ENEMY, KILL ENEMY, NO THOUGHT NEEDED. Skyrim Syndrome I call it.
Skyrim has become the industry standard on how not to create an rpg. I've recommended Elex to so many people and they end up bitching that it's so difficult etc. But what you said 100% sums it up. Elex is tough but the it tells you it' dangerous right from the start. People seem to still be able to read but not understand anymore.

Deleted Member 16721

And people think all games need to be homogenized and play the same. Who says in ELEX you have to engage in combat with anything? He tells you at the start it's dangerous and you shouldn't mess around like you said. People still don't understand what that means and go off and try to "master melee combat" like what? He just told you it's too dangerous and you need a companion as soon as you can get one. Just because it's a third-person action RPG doesn't mean it plays by the same rules as Witcher 3 or other action RPGs. The game tries to convey this but like you said people read but don't understand. Once it "clicks" though it's so satisfying it's ridiculous. ELEX is legendary for that reason along with other games you have to learn the intricacies of.

ultra loser

Scholar
Also, I am 6 hours into this game and I have 300 bucks
Invest in pickpocketing (first level is enough for the whole game) and steal elex from npcs. Also rob all the houses in the first town, it's a video game, you should pick up everything that's not glued to the floor.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
And people think all games need to be homogenized and play the same. Who says in ELEX you have to engage in combat with anything? He tells you at the start it's dangerous and you shouldn't mess around like you said. People still don't understand what that means and go off and try to "master melee combat" like what? He just told you it's too dangerous and you need a companion as soon as you can get one. Just because it's a third-person action RPG doesn't mean it plays by the same rules as Witcher 3 or other action RPGs. The game tries to convey this but like you said people read but don't understand. Once it "clicks" though it's so satisfying it's ridiculous. ELEX is legendary for that reason along with other games you have to learn the intricacies of.
I really enjoyed Elex a lot. I think the issue with mainstream "RPG Lovers" only know Skyrim and Witcher 3. So they expect the game to hold your hand the whole time. And the moment they realise they aren't super OP from the start and actually need to learn by playing they say it's shit. Once Elex clicks it becomes really good. Most game reviewers also faggots and they scored it very low. Same with The Technomancer, it scored low and I loved it. When I saw the low review scores from autistic reviewers I knew Elex was going to be great

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I really enjoyed Elex a lot. I think the issue with mainstream "RPG Lovers" only know Skyrim and Witcher 3. So they expect the game to hold your hand the whole time. And the moment they realise they aren't super OP from the start and actually need to learn by playing they say it's shit. Once Elex clicks it becomes really good. Most game reviewers also faggots and they scored it very low. Same with The Technomancer, it scored low and I loved it. When I saw the low review scores from autistic reviewers I knew Elex was going to be great
No, it's common knowledge that game reviewers only play a game for a couple of hours, hence games investing all time and effort on the first half of a game. Also there bigger events and more dramatic shit in the beginning. I think in Skyrim you save the world as a mage in like the first mage guild quest. This is called the unfortunate reality of the games industry.

PB created a game with a video showing the game as you can play as skyrim, play as fallout, or play as some third option. PB didn't tell anyone the first 10 hours are dialog quests, and if you don't get it, you are approaching it wrong. The problem is not with the gamer. They sold this as an action game in the videos. I personally like the game, but they can't blame anyone but themselves for the bad reviews.

Now where would anyone get the impression this is a mad max/fallout/skyrim hybrid game. Oh yeah...

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No, it's common knowledge that game reviewers only play a game for a couple of hours, hence games investing all time and effort on the first half of a game. Also there bigger events and more dramatic shit in the beginning. I think in Skyrim you save the world as a mage in like the first mage guild quest. This is called the unfortunate reality of the games industry.

PB created a game with a video showing the game as you can play as skyrim, play as fallout, or play as some third option. PB didn't tell anyone the first 10 hours are dialog quests, and if you don't get it, you are approaching it wrong. The problem is not with the gamer. They sold this as an action game in the videos. I personally like the game, but they can't blame anyone but themselves for the bad reviews.

Now where would anyone get the impression this is a mad max/fallout/skyrim hybrid game. Oh yeah...

Looking at the trailer now again. I have to admit that you do have a point. Trailer does give the wrong impression of what Elex is

Deleted Member 16721

Not really, because it's showing you what a high level badass is like. It's not showing you level 1 gameplay, lol. Just learn the game people, it becomes excellent, even legendary once you learn it and it clicks.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Looking at the trailer now again. I have to admit that you do have a point. Trailer does give the wrong impression of what Elex is
In full disclosure, Elex has problems, but I'll still finish it. It's pretty damn interesting both in setting and player freedom. I am bagging on it, but it's already got me. I am bitching but don't nobody take it personal. Getting hooked on a new games hasn't happened in a long time. Now I'm on a business trip and won't be able to play until Saturday, but decided I'm joining the Clerics as soon as I can.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Clerics do seem to be the best developed faction.

Although some faggets around here claim the area around the Hort (their base) is empty or unfinished for some bizarre reason.

It's just as unfinished or as finished as the rest of the game. In fact there's more to explore than the beginning area of the game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
PB games always have been about becoming a hero, not about being one from the very start. Avoiding most combat encounters (not all of them, as the game suggests weaker combat encounters in various ways) in the beginning is an important part of this journey.

I mean why should anyone give you access to good gear/training if they dont trust you in their ranks? So you have to do menial tasks in order to gain this trust from one of the factions.

This is not an oversight in gamebalance, but a deliberate decision by PB in order to get the effect they want to have on character progression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom