Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Bah

Arcane
Not really. I played on Ultra for over 200 hours. It takes a long time before you start fighting anything "serious". You can still fight Young rats, young critters, whatever, but dealing with tougher enemies (the raptor things, etc.) it's going to take awhile. Then again I play slow so it took me a bit longer. You can kill normal critters and what not earlier. A companion is important, though.

Surprisingly, I think I agree with Fluent. Avoiding fighting at the beginning of PB games is pretty common. Sure, I could use twitch reflexes and kite cheese strategies to beat enemies anyway and level up faster, but then I'd be playing an ACTION game and not an RPG.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not really. I played on Ultra for over 200 hours. It takes a long time before you start fighting anything "serious". You can still fight Young rats, young critters, whatever, but dealing with tougher enemies (the raptor things, etc.) it's going to take awhile. Then again I play slow so it took me a bit longer. You can kill normal critters and what not earlier. A companion is important, though.

Surprisingly, I think I agree with Fluent. Avoiding fighting at the beginning of PB games is pretty common. Sure, I could use twitch reflexes and kite cheese strategies to beat enemies anyway and level up faster, but then I'd be playing an ACTION game and not an RPG.

Yeah, well, but 30 hours is too much. More like 10 before you start tackling moderate difficulty encounters. After 20 you should be a god dancing atop a pile of enemy corpses.

Bah

Arcane
Yeah, well, but 30 hours is too much.

It's probably my innner-autist, but I play RPGs very slowly. I explore everything, try to do everything, read all of the text carefully, etc etc. It's not uncommon for games that most people finish in 30 hours to take me 100+ hours. So when I hear 30 hours, I tend to think "fairly low level" still.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
DvzVZiLWsAABshq.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
30 hours, what the fuck do you do, read out every single line of dialogue in opera voice? count the blades of grass?

Lord Andre

Arcane
Got tired of waiting for Cleve to release the manual so I can replay Grimoire so I'm giving Elex a try. Wouldn't you know the damn thing could use a manual too. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm level 3 and my gameplay so far is me wandering around, seeing a spot guarded by ultra-rape-spiders and mutant-trump-supporting-maga-mega-trolls and then going like:

1LWH.gif

Once in a while I'll run into a sickly-runty-juvenile-one-testicled-soy-eating-hound and then I'm like:

lightsaber_reveal.0.gif

Whatching retards complain about it on steam is super fun though:

"I completed all Gothics, Risens and I'm the best at Dark Souls in my highschool class and still get my ass handed to me on Ultra in this game. Please fix. REEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee"

lol, faggots

Morkar Left

In ELEX! choices really matter. Different outcomes of quests depending on how you handle them. On par with Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas and Age of Decadence.

JDR13

Arcane
Elex is PB's best game since Gothic 2 imo. Yeah, combat is a little clunky, but I loved exploring the world they created.

The blend of fantasy, sci-fi, and post-apoc is a little weird at first, but they somehow made it work.

Morkar Left

Got the physical Collectors Edition. Ofc I ordered the PS4 version. I don't have a PS4 but it was 40 € cheaper than the pc version with 120 € and I have the game already on gog (and on Steam)... I guess when I sell just the PS4 DVD I can make another 15 € back. All in all not THAT expensive then.

The CE is pretty good. The figurine is quality stuff with good painting and the box looks really nice (but bigger than I thought).

The map seems a bit useless for orientation because it lacks the cities. But there are some symbols on the map for locations which maybe have some good loot there? There are Elex-signs as well on the map. Have to check this out. Map is not exactly a cloth map. It's more like plastic fabric but in good quality with good print.

The artbook is a hardcover but small and I had wished for a bit text and lore bits (but knew already before it'S not there). The drone trinket is good but will stay in the box anyway. The Making of was somehow oof bad quality resolution. Maybe I should update my player. A long time since I used it. But you can watch the Making Of on youtube by now anyway (in better quality). The Making Of as such is actually quite good.

And there is a soundtrack, too.

If you love the game the CE is a must when you collect your favourite games. But you need actually space for this...

Swigen

Arbiter
Love this game, soundtrack is fucking awesome too. If there was ever proof that mainstream video game “journalists” are a bunch of stupid cunts, than the lambasting this game received at their incompetent hands is it. Only thing that bugged me is that stripper in the bar never strips. 8 outta 10 “Excellent”

Yeah, ELEX got the worst media treatment of any game I can remember that was actually good. The only publication that gave it a remotely fair shake was Eurogamer, whose review was something like "if you like old school hardcore gameplay, you will like this game...". But even they had some headshaking lines in the review. The other websites just piled on it, oblivious to their hypocrisy, since much of what they criticized in ELEX was exactly the kind of stuffr they always give Bethesda games a pass on (e.g. bugs, rough around the edges before mods).

ELEX has various flaws, without a doubt, but it is also one of very few games that MUST be played in the last several years.

Codex Year of the Donut
exactly the kind of stuffr they always give Bethesda games a pass on (e.g. bugs, rough around the edges before mods).
at least ELEX had an interesting world that felt alive
I've never been able to finish a bethesda game, always get bored a few dozen hours in and quit. I managed to finish ELEX without a problem.

Deleted Member 16721

ELEX had hilarious (and also sad and even angering) reviews from people who had no idea what the game was or how to play it. That's why I believe devs need to add "philosophy tutorials" to the game to handhold and explain their games to newbies, because some people were so off-base with what they thought the game was like that they literally didn't know how to play it and played it wrong. 4/10 - took an hour to beat a troll, WTF! Well yeah, that's because you're not supposed to even face them at level 1 you dummy, Berserker guy tells you at the beginning the world is dangerous but that's not enough. This is one area where tutorials need to handhold more and really, really explain what you're up against in the world. Just flat out tell the player even more detailed than what Berserker guy at the beginning tells you. It's necessary for casuals who see ACTION RPG and have Skyrim Syndrome, i.e. SEE ENEMY - FIGHT ENEMY - KILL ENEMY - PROCEED. No thought needed. ELEX is a totally different beast and gives a big middle finger to that style of game, but it has to convey WHY it does that so some newbies at least have the chance to figure it out, rather than play for an hour, ragequit and leave a negative Steam review because they have no idea how to play ELEX.

sullynathan

Arcane
I doubt it. Breath of the wild doesn't hold the players hand either and it was very well received by the press. Perhaps Pirahna is the problem?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom