Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Oh yeah, since I'm already in this thread:

I finished the game on release and never played with the later patches. I know that they added new armors and new difficulty settings, but is there more? Also, is the new difficulty anything noteworthy, or just increased damage numbers?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Risen is amazing.
Also Risen 2 and Risen 3 are worth it, dont pay attention to the bandwagon negative reviews, its just stupid nitpicks.

I've bought all of PB's games (and the Arkania offshoots) from GOG some time ago, so i plan on playing them all eventually. I'm not hard to please, as long as a game isn't totally broken (in the "unity store prefab game masquerading as a finished product" sense) and has a couple of elements i find entertaining, i can ignore a lot of issues it may have. From the comments i've read i do not get the impression that i'll have major issues with the games (except perhaps Arkania, but i do not think i'll have a problem dropping that).

Closest to Elex would be gothic 3, not Risen.

Risen is a more focused experience, like gothic 2

I want to finish Gothic 2 first before playing Gothic 3 (which means i have to restart it since my last savegame is from some time ago and i forgot what was going on... and TBH i think the character i had built at that point wasn't that good), but i remember Gothic 2 being quite big in size while i get the impression (from the in-game map and from what i remember from when i played Gothic 2) that Risen's map size is closer to Gothic 1 (the world size and focus of which i liked).

FWIW so far i like Risen a lot. The only major issue i have (if you can call it that) is that there are some characters which look invincible (they do not seem to be affected at all if i hit them - i tried to avoid paying the guard at the back door in the city, hoping that if i attack him he'll get unconscious and grab some key or whatever to open the door, but his health wouldn't drop a bit when attacking him). But it might be my character that is too much of a wimp :-P.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I want to finish Gothic 2 first before playing Gothic 3 (which means i have to restart it since my last savegame is from some time ago and i forgot what was going on... and TBH i think the character i had built at that point wasn't that good)

Are you playing with all the patches and improvements? With all this G3 is one of the best RPGs ever made. Such a shame it was completely broken on release and never got rid of the "buggy shit" stigma.

Murk

Arcane
I donno about best ever, but it definitely does the hiking simulator thing juuuuust right. Some very wonderful moments of wandering around, the music kicking in, the cold wind blowing in the icy north.

It's all very:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Started from the bottom now we're here. Lvl 25, and feels so good one shotting all those critters that one shotted me at lvl1 and i was constantly running from. No more.
The redeemer one, two or three shots pretty much anything.
In Berserk city wearing Cleric armor with an Outlaw as a companion.
He doesnt really do much now that im a beast, i keep him around for his chit chat.

8XTNDCj.jpg[img]

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are you playing with all the patches and improvements? With all this G3 is one of the best RPGs ever made. Such a shame it was completely broken on release and never got rid of the "buggy shit" stigma.

I haven't played Gothic 3 yet. Once i decide to play it, i'll go to PC Gaming Wiki and check what it mentions there for getting it to run. Generally i prefer to stick to bug fixes and avoid content alterations in games and try to play them as close to the original release as possible (minus QOL changes like more resolutions support, UI fixes for widescreen, etc), at least for the first playthrough (although i rarely make multiple playthroughs). Of course sometimes this isn't possible (...and sometimes i accidentally use a mod that i think just fixes the game but it turns out that it makes unnecessary content alterations), but in general i try to stick to that.

For Gothic 2 i used the report version + playerkit + systempack (at least according to the notes i have in my "game fixes" directory for gothic 1 and 2).

In Berserk city wearing Cleric armor with an Outlaw as a companion.
He doesnt really do much now that im a beast, i keep him around for his chit chat.

I kept Nasty around long after i surpassed her damage output for the occasional comment but also because when fighting multiple enemies she'd keep them busy (even though she barely scratched them) while i killed the others. Also i found her funny and in general i found the Outlaws to contain the most interesting characters overall.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

Is it really tho? I replayed G2 recently and decided to give a patched up G3 another shot. I only finished the game once, way before the community stuff was a thing. Granted, I only played up to Kap Dun, but the new quests are very hit or miss so far and correct me if I'm wrong, but they didn't actually flesh out the main quest in any significant way and it's still by and large mmo quest design and collecting macguffins.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The community patch doesn't improve the MMO quests. It's still a plus since at least now you can complete all the MMO quests.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
The community patch doesn't improve the MMO quests. It's still a plus since at least now you can complete all the MMO quests.

Tbf, from the little amount of community quests I've seen, at least one seems pretty neat.

I beat down a dude in the Kap Dun arena (fighting is slightly better with the CP, but still very eh), he dropped a letter from his superior, ordering him to infiltrate the local bandits. To do so, he needed a bandit armor, which apparently some pirates east of Ardea have crafting schematics for.

Say what you will about kill 7 boars and collect 3 weapon bundles, but this is a good quest setup. You receive the quest organically by doing other shit, it ties in with another quest (Ortega's bandits) and the armor might even open up new quest paths with the bandits. I'm not sure about the last part, since I've yet to get the armor, but still, credit where credit is due.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Got the game this year and was having a lot of fun but i am starting to fall out of love with it.
Joined the Clerics and went 1h with shield. Started using PSI to make battles easier, so i though i would pump some points on it. Hope i havent ruined my char but i dont do well in melee against more than 1 opponent. Any tips?

Made a new save where i am going to join the beserkers. Are bows a viable option? Any tips? Should i still raise melee?
I was thinking of going ranger + magic.

Deleted Member 16721

Magic is great, I really enjoyed it. Get a companion as soon as you can. I really like the explosive bomb magic spell, I believe it's an acid splash type thing. It knocks them down like a grenade, very recommended.

Murk

Arcane
He can't learn berserker buff magic since he went Cleric.

I'd recommend going 2hander (energy hammer is a nice choice) for the reach and I personally found 2h hammers faster than 2h swords.

Codex Year of the Donut
There are a bunch of mods and they are all garbage like the base game.
Guess I should have been more specific.
Most(all?) PB games have pretty well maintained(by autistic germans) community fixpacks, I can't seem to find one for ELEX so I thought the crafty germans were simply hiding it on their unreadable language forums.

Codex Year of the Donut
Poking around in the files,
Duras is flagged as a ranged fighter, I wonder if that's intentional? Possibly the cause of this:

Managed to mod it to pause when the inventory/status screen is opened but it doesn't process the inventory closing due to the game being paused :lol:, I'll keep poking at this to see if it can be fixed. I dislike being interrupted when poking about my inventory.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Managed to mod it to pause when the inventory/status screen is opened but it doesn't process the inventory closing due to the game being paused :lol:, I'll keep poking at this to see if it can be fixed. I dislike being interrupted when poking about my inventory.

you should consider playing ris3n then

Codex Year of the Donut
The quest where the berserker ODs offers extra dialogue with the front guard in Goliet. He says he'll go bury the body, if you go back the body will actually be missing.
:incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom