Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

JDR13

Arcane
55 hrs clocked in total, third way (tm) (C) :smug:. I think I did most of the secondary quests, but not so sure.

I'm guessing you missed a significant amount of content. I spent well over 100 hours on a single playthrough. I'm a very meticulous player though when it comes to PB's games, and I milk them for all they're worth.

Israfael

Arcane
I'm guessing you missed a significant amount of content. I spent well over 100 hours on a single playthrough.
No idea, could be, but I also started using elex potions basically from the beginning of the game so I could use the sword I accidentally found in the toxic basement of the building where a zerker and his mutant brother hid. After that it was basically lawn-mowing everything in a very quick fashion, and it got even easier when i got a plasma gun and joined the Clerics for that damage boost.

What I forgot to mention earlier - it's kinda nice that PB always tries to create believable environments. What I mean, every citizen has his own timetable, they move around, do stuff, there's a food production chain in every major city, change of guards and so on. There are some anachronisms (like working radios), but it might be a cleric propaganda tool or a joke.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
In Gothic your stats don't increase your dmg either IIRC. But yeah the balance and diff. curve is p. bad in Elex.
Strength did in fact increase the damage you did in gothic, I remember doing a full autist min-max 276 strength build and boy did that end boss die fast.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In Gothic your stats don't increase your dmg either IIRC. But yeah the balance and diff. curve is p. bad in Elex.
Strength did in fact increase the damage you did in gothic, I remember doing a full autist min-max 276 strength build and boy did that end boss die fast.
You're right, I thought it's only the weapon skill % that determines if you score a crit and stats only gate weapon requirements.

Still, crits is the only thing that matters in Gothic so weapon skill % is all important while stats have only a relatively small effect.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
You're right, I thought it's only the weapon skill % that determines if you score a crit and stats only gate weapon requirements.

Still, crits is the only thing that matters in Gothic so weapon skill % is all important while stats have only a relatively small effect.

That's Gothic 2. In Gothic 1, Strength determines your damage, and weapon skill only determines your attack animations and speed I think (there is no % at all, the skills have just two tiers).

JDR13

Arcane
Strength boosts your damage for most melee weapons in the Gothics. Dex boosts your damage for bows and a few dex-based swords. Dex also boosts damage for crossbows iirc, but strength determines which ones you can use.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm guessing you missed a significant amount of content. I spent well over 100 hours on a single playthrough.
No idea, could be, but I also started using elex potions basically from the beginning of the game so I could use the sword I accidentally found in the toxic basement of the building where a zerker and his mutant brother hid. After that it was basically lawn-mowing everything in a very quick fashion, and it got even easier when i got a plasma gun and joined the Clerics for that damage boost.

What I forgot to mention earlier - it's kinda nice that PB always tries to create believable environments. What I mean, every citizen has his own timetable, they move around, do stuff, there's a food production chain in every major city, change of guards and so on. There are some anachronisms (like working radios), but it might be a cleric propaganda tool or a joke.

Yeah, I think Cleric has the easiest path combat-wise. That black hole skill is a little over-powered.

I agree about the environments. I've always loved the exploration in PB's games because of their attention to detail.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yeah, I think Cleric has the easiest path combat-wise. That black hole skill is a little over-powered.

I agree about the environments. I've always loved the exploration in PB's games because of their attention to detail.

Clerics are also great at melee, though. Those damage prevention and decoy abilities make them survive everything and keep on swingin'. The point blank shockwave is pretty cool to use.

Jinn

Arcane
I wish there had been an ELEX 2 announcement of some sort at Gamescom this year. I'm waiting to replay ELEX until that happens. Looks like it's not going to. :negative:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Elex is a true masterful and bold development of the Gothic idea.
What is it you like about the gameplay? Everything I read says the combat is weak, so what else is there to be impressed by?

All that was good in Gothic, but more and better.

Larger, more diverse world to explore, now with a jetpack! Interesting worldbuilding and post-apocalyptic atmosphere;
More ways to shape your character (you've got combat, magic, social skills to develop, plus dozens of spells/powers/drugs);
Difficult, especially in the beginning, combat against very strong and dangerous enemies;
3 major factions to cooperate and later join (which gives you 3 different mid-game and end-game experiences);
Lots of C&C, from the mid-game (Domed City!) to the very end;
Story that actually goes somewhere and manages to surprise from time to time.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks I'm gonna try it eventually. The combat is the only thing that kept me away so far, but if they added a lot of spells/abilities then maybe I can make it work how I want.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks I'm gonna try it eventually. The combat is the only thing that kept me away so far, but if they added a lot of spells/abilities then maybe I can make it work how I want.

Well if that is the case, you should join a faction ASAP (some people, me included, postpone faction joining to work for all factions and do their quests). The Berserkers will give you access to magic, the Clerics grant you their superior technology, futuristic weaponry and powers in a way similar to magic, the Outlaws teach you to create combat drugs, give you modern day weaponry and a strong Fallout vibe (you can even wear Power Armor!). So far I completed the game with the medieval dudes, but will propably replay it in a year or two to become a Cleric or an Outlaw.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Risen 1's melee combat was better, but Elex's combat system isn't as bad as people make out -- especially compared to say, Gothic 3. It is "slower", but I don't mind that personally.

Anyway, if Elex's melee is indeed troubling, can always use guns, bows, crossbows, grenades, or magic. Or just have an army of stooges follow you around to do your dirty work for you while you smoke cigarettes in your coolguy sunglasses.

typical user

Arbiter
Wasn't ELEX quests handled in a way that you could just rush to your favorite faction, join them and still be able to do errands which are open for non-affiliated?

Gotta play Outlaws next time.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Obligatory SS s

59A07D9D1151D1A584E27578EE91683C735CC2C0

8EDA63DCA12A62B8CE38FE9F4DD67EFDA80B759D

B6DEE86B7599B7ABF74B68F0373C823D45D5DB46

A5CF33EF46F5669433C33E1580C9D6B74286094D

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really like ELEX and it is one of the few games released the last 5 years that i really like... but it *does* require me to shut down the bits of my brain that questions things, like...

B6DEE86B7599B7ABF74B68F0373C823D45D5DB46

...if there is enough air up there for those huge things to turn, wouldn't that air throw the chair down? Or you, for that matter?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, that's right.

Risen 1 is just a weaker, smaller Gothic 2 wannabe. Elex is a true masterful and bold development of the Gothic idea.

First half of Risen >>>>>>>>> ELEX

There is no comparison. Unfortunately the second half of Risen and the sequels went full retarded.

But don't you fret about it: Elex 2 will be a piece of shit and the balance will be restored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom