Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

JDR13

Arcane
Risen did have a superior melee system, but Elex is the better game overall. Combat is secondary to me in PB's games. I care more about the exploration and atmosphere.

soulburner

Cipher
Back when it was released, I remember there were some issues with the UI, I can't recall exactly, but it didn't really show some things. Maybe what skills/perks/whatever actually increased? Is there a guide what to choose when leveling up which will actually increase damage etc.?

Israfael

Arcane
Elex is definitely less packed in terms of quests and NPCs as compared to die Nacht des Rabens - Khorinis alone has more named NPCs and quests than ELEX in totality.

Modron

Arcane
I really like ELEX and it is one of the few games released the last 5 years that i really like... but it *does* require me to shut down the bits of my brain that questions things, like...

B6DEE86B7599B7ABF74B68F0373C823D45D5DB46

...if there is enough air up there for those huge things to turn, wouldn't that air throw the chair down? Or you, for that matter?
There is some drone clip out there of a dude sun tanning up on one of these turbines, so I would think a person is relatively not in danger barring a wind storm but yeah that chair staying up there on its own is unlikely unless it was bolted/strapped to the turbine.

Ninja: I recalled incorrectly was not windy that day

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Those turbines do not require a hurricane to work tho. Their massive wings can turn from regular wind, why would that blow a person away?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Shame that reviews were the same old garbage: IGN gave it a 4.9 "because it is buggy", while giving 9.5 to Fallout 4.

Most gaming outlets are Kwan and they aren't nearly as friendly to Yuro games as they are to Bethesda or Bioware. Be it Risen or Elex or Witcher 1 or Kingdom Come, no matter how innovative, original and special a Yuro game is, it's always too buggy or too janky or both.

The only Yuro RPG that wasn't nitpicked to death was Witcher 3 because it had all the Hollywood prodakshun values those superficial cretins crave. Even tho TW3 was just as buggy and undercooked on release as all the big open-world RPGs ever made.

Codex Year of the Donut
Shame that reviews were the same old garbage: IGN gave it a 4.9 "because it is buggy", while giving 9.5 to Fallout 4.

Most gaming outlets are Kwan and they aren't nearly as friendly to Yuro games as they are to Bethesda or Bioware. Be it Risen or Elex or Witcher 1 or Kingdom Come, no matter how innovative, original and special a Yuro game is, it's always too buggy or too janky or both.

The only Yuro RPG that wasn't nitpicked to death was Witcher 3 because it had all the Hollywood prodakshun values those superficial cretins crave. Even tho TW3 was just as buggy and undercooked on release as all the big open-world RPGs ever made.
Has nothing to do with it being european. PB is nowhere near as popular as Bethesda outside of Germany(and outside of the codex), along with PB most likely not greasing their palms.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
First half of Risen >>>>>>>>> ELEX

There is no comparison. Unfortunately the second half of Risen and the sequels went full retarded.
I would argue that two thirds of the game are really good. The boring part was once you collected the discs and did go in the big underground complex. I did like the lizard enemies tho,they were pretty strong and made you use your accumulated skills at the max. The big problem of the later part was the lack of side quests,tho on a replay i could have good fun for quite a lot of time.

Risen did have a superior melee system, but Elex is the better game overall. Combat is secondary to me in PB's games. I care more about the exploration and atmosphere.
Risen did had great exploration in the first part,tho in the later part not that much,still there is a ton of secrets in the game.

Risen 1 vs humanoid melee combat is still the best in piranha bytes games. vs monsters tho it feels like worse version of gothic and elex.
I did had good fun killing the beasties,they do use all their unique patterns and do make you use your brain and exploit the terrain.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The last third of Elex SUCKS BALLS too btw, due to a completely mismanaged difficulty curve. In my first playthrough, without metagaming, with just blindingly stumbling forward, I was so absurdly overpowered it sucked all fun out of the endgame. This could never happen in G1 or NotR (not sure about R1 but I don't remember any such OPness either).

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Those turbines do not require a hurricane to work tho. Their massive wings can turn from regular wind, why would that blow a person away?

This is why i wrote "questioning" :-P. So i did a quick search and putting this and this together it seems that the wind that would take to just get these things running (and assuming they are of the "electric motor kicks in to help start the rotation" variety) wouldn't be enough to blow someone away, but in general there can be more than enough wind going through a wind turbine to do that. I'd guess it also may take less wind than what mentioned in the second article because that assumes you are standing on solid ground with firm footing, whereas when on a curvy turbine at a great height like in the video it might be much easier to lose your footing. Also i'd guess that the inertia from the blades cause them to create a wind current of their own, essentially standing in front of a huge fan, but that is just a guess.

I wonder if there is any 3D physics simulation program that one could set up to try such things out :-P (a game engine could work but i do not think game engines have accurate enough physics simulations).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The last third of Elex SUCKS BALLS too btw, due to a completely mismanaged difficulty curve. In my first playthrough, without metagaming, with just blindingly stumbling forward, I was so absurdly overpowered it sucked all fun out of the endgame. This could never happen in G1 or NotR (not sure about R1 but I don't remember any such OPness either).
Nah,you are just shit at levelling. You were well aware that you play PB game and know that focusing on a single type of combat is the way. Every one of their games i hard,that is not a problem of the game. Also meh end game is a feature of PB games :). Only Gothic 3 didn't have a boring dungeon craw and a stupid boss at the end. Gothic 2 was also a lot harder in the end game areas,before NotR was really shit and you had to min max everything to even to be able to finish the game. Original Gothic was more generous on the exp front,but still the end was pretty annoying with all those orks you had to kill.

I have no idea how you managed to fucked up in Risen to make it that hard,if you are actually an experienced PB player.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
all the all PB games have you VERY OP at the end due to the 100% hand crafted nature and static level of the monsters, i was sure i was raining death on gothic 1,2 risen 1,2,3 at the last part of the games maybe except NOTR

JDR13

Arcane
I played on Hard difficulty, and I found it pretty challenging the whole way. That was with a Berserker though, and they don't have any skills that are particularly OP like the Cleric's black hole, etc.

I also refused to use flamethrowers because I could immediately see how cheese they were.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I played on Hard difficulty, and I found it pretty challenging the whole way. That was with a Berserker though, and they don't have any skills that are particularly OP like the Cleric's black hole, etc.

Yeah I plan my second playthrough with a melee Zerker too, I hope for a more fulfilling experience. How's the endgame mob spam with a melee char? At the very end, when you're wading through waves upon waves of mobs up in the snowy area, I was kindda glad I'm Cleric with a stupidly OP plasma gun.

JDR13

Arcane

Yeah I plan my second playthrough with a melee Zerker too, I hope for a more fulfilling experience. How's the endgame mob spam with a melee char? At the very end, when you're wading through waves upon waves of mobs up in the snowy area, I was kindda glad I'm Cleric with a stupidly OP plasma gun.

Yeah, the endgame was sort of a grind. Not as bad as Risen 3 though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh god Risen 3 endgame....you know, I can't actually remember if I finished the game or gave up. Honest to little Jesus, seems I've suppressed the memory.

Modron

Arcane
I don't remember the end game of Risen 3 being particularly grindy, it was super easy to max each and every stat/skill in that game. Really the only I remember about the end game was how lulzy the titan battle was just running around toilet papering the titan with manicles.

JDR13

Arcane
I don't remember the end game of Risen 3 being particularly grindy, it was super easy to max each and every stat/skill in that game. Really the only I remember about the end game was how lulzy the titan battle was just running around toilet papering the titan with manicles.

It wasn't grindy a difficult way, it was just longer than it needed to be. There was really no point to that last island.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
There is some drone clip out there of a dude sun tanning up on one of these turbines, so I would think a person is relatively not in danger barring a wind storm but yeah that chair staying up there on its own is unlikely unless it was bolted/strapped to the turbine.

Ninja: I recalled incorrectly was not windy that day

I feel tingling in my heels when I'm fucking watch this.

Yeah, I recently noticed that on example of Kingmaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom