Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Not in case of Gothic (or rather, stats and skill were nicely balanced there).
And its not like you have involved/meaningful character building in ELEX.

Bye, bye reason.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dragon Slicer
Which is still useless for a long time since it requires nearly 200 str to wield lol. Also you beat most hard enemies by cheesing out the game like circling behind the troll or spamming block till you get an opening to attack. Risen is the most player's skills orientated game of all the PB games.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No its not. If you put everything in Str, gather a lot of herbs and optimize the Str pot production, you can have the required Str very early - before your first promotion, I think.

Murk

Arcane
Are there any games similar to Elex / PB style but in isometric?

I feel like the heavy emphasis on exploration and world building doesn't lead itself amazingly to the isometric view (and the connotations of gameplay mechanics that follow the viewpoint) but for what it's worth, you could try Divine Divinity. It's got the diablo hack-n-slash combat, but the world and interactions are there.

I think 'isometric' view action RPGs tend to just go the diablo route though, and nearly every example I could think of were all really middling games, like Sacred.

T. Reich

Arcane
I fuck whores in Khorinis.

ELEX has no whores to fuck. Such a fucking huge decline. I require fuckable whores in ELEX 2!

Bromor.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

For our english audience, the content of this video in english: We at Piranha Bytes are currently working with the entire team high motivated on another new role-playing game. So at the moment we are focused on our own work, because we develop role-playing games with passion and are looking forward to show you our own game. The announcement is scheduled for 2020! We are not involved in the development of the Gothic Remake. The developers of the remake are THQ Nordic Barcelona. Since the studio asks for fan participation and feedback, you can check out the early prototype here (if you already have a PB game on Steam): https://store.steampowered.com/app/950670/Gothic_Playable_Teaser/ You can then give your detailed feedback after the demo. If you send your wishes and expectations for the Gothic Remake project to the developers, so that they can take it into account, you can end up with two role-playing games that you can look forward to. Of course, we will continue to announce news about our own projects on our social media pages in the future.

T. Reich

Arcane

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Finished it on difficult in 33 hours. Joined the Outlaws and played most of the game as melee.

-Melee combat is awful, mostly because everything two shots you and the hitboxes are really wonky, at least for humans. Even when it works, it isn’t really interesting. Ranged combat wasn’t good either, because the game auto locks you on enemies and the only thing left to excel at is walking sideways while shooting. Mediocore combat systems aren’t really new to PB games, but previously they relied on stats and equipment allowing you to ignore the mechanics of the combat so it wasn’t really and issue. It also worked if you bothered learning it. In Elex I die because something grazed my invisible hitbox, or some far away enemy stun locks me with a bazooka. Luckily that's not the focus of the game.
- The world design is great. It’s interesting to explore and locations are filled with tiny details that make all the grand desolated buildings feel real. Picking a spot in the distance and running there is the best part of the game. Wish the game was about exploration rather than questing. Notes, audio-logs, and spooky skeletons added a lot to the game.
- The writing is decent, but not too interesting. All the factions feel cartoonish, they take themselves too seriously with a no-fun-allowed sort of writing. The Domed City is the only place where the writing matches the general area design. Some characters are good though, and the story was well paced.
- The game is too formulaic. PB adopted the Gothic structure without thinking too much on whether it actually fits their game. The best part is exploration, but most quests have nothing to do with it. The huge hub areas must have been a huge resource drain, scripting-wise. I would prefer a game that had 1/10 of the NPCs, but focused on contextualizing the world, and giving you reasons to explore it. UnderRail got it right.
Well, I knew what I was getting when I saw the PB logo.
- The game has really awful particles. Shame, because it’s something that would make the game looks really good, and usually doesn’t involve great effort on the part of the devs relative to other systems.
- Jetpack is fun.
- I hate how every time you enter a building it takes 5 seconds to adjust the lighting levels before you can see anything.
- Sunglasses with loot vision is a poor solution to what should have been more careful loot placement.
- Wish there were binoculars.
- One or two deep companions are better than five shallow ones.
- Combat xp isn’t rewarding, which forces the player to complete boring quests, when combat should be a reasonable option for leveling. Quests in general aren’t really good, with too many duds.
- Wish I could annotate the map.
- It’s amazing that this game was done by such a small team.

Really good game over all. I would like to play Elex 2, but I hope it has very little to do with Elex’s narrative. I have zero interest in revisiting the characters and plot. Give me another well designed world to explore and I’m sold, though if the combat was better or just non-intrusive, it would be much easier to sell the game to the general audience.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am replaying the game for X time now and just running around exploring casually. I am curious at what is the lore of the toxic hearts in the exile territory.

Murk

Arcane
I am replaying the game for X time now and just running around exploring casually. I am curious at what is the lore of the toxic hearts in the exile territory.

I couldn't figure out if those were meant to be world hearts that were left unattended for too long and had "gone bad", or if that is actually the desired end state of the world heart once it's self sufficient -- since those areas are very lush and green.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom