Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

ELEX's treatment by the mainstream gaming media

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by PorkyThePaladin, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Sjukob Erudite

Sjukob
    Since you are not going to explain I will take on a role of misunderstood genius.

^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    heavy attack has much greater stagger value and usually staggers shit that isn't a moloch or sth, will almost always stagger with a twohander

if raptor double slash can't be blocked, mayhap you should consider avoiding it, especially since it's telegraphed as hell and leaves the raptor vulnerable if you doge away

if the tracking of the monster projectiles is 'too good', you should probably stick to turn-based games because it's as basic as it can be

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    When it comes to gamejournos, only 8 or above is positive. I'm sure you knew this already, though.

In a perfect world of reviews, 67 is fine for ELEX. That gamejournos randomly select games here and there that they review as if it was such a world to make themselves look less retarded/corrupt isn't actually a good thing.

^ Top  
  5. Sjukob Erudite

Sjukob
    The point was that enemies can RANDOMLY jerk and hit you during your attack chain. This should never happen in the game where you already limit player's combo with stamina. Even if you somehow start the heavy attack at the moment of enemy "jerking" they will still hit you. It's not about "how to stagger" it's about "why are they not staggering when they should".

I say heavy attack is almost useless because damage/combo increase is marginal compared to risk you take and how much stamina it costs.

The point is that why some silly dino's attack cannot be blocked while massive troll stomp can't harm you if you raise your shield, it's just random. Also attack is not telegraphed it's instant and you have to predict it (not like I have problems with it after playing Gothic).

Didn't get it again. The tracking is too good if they decide to randomly launch it in close combat, it's almost impossible to avoid and the punishment is often too great. While I was typing this I recalled that there is a small hiccup when you land after using jetpack, you can't act during it. This leads to some cheap shit where you are helpless while the massive sneeze ball of doom flies towards you.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    ^ Top  
  6. M0RBUS Augur

M0RBUS
    That IGN review of Fallout 4 was written by someone who knows less about RPGs than I did when I was 16.
    There's no redeeming themselves, there's no looking less retarded. You only have to read their Fallout 4 review and see for yourself. I'm willing to believe that even the most ardent Fallout 4 fan will see the bullshit in that review, even if they won't admit it. That is a by-the-book, as-ordered-by-the-publisher, bullet-point, predictable-as-the-sun review that might as well have been made for Fallout 3 and it would be just as good of a review.

I mean, even the bullet points are wrong. Outstanding world, great crafting system, good story, good characters, huge variety. It's literally every. Single. One. Wrong. Objectively and demonstrably wrong :\

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    It's a crap.

^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    if the raptor roars first, it will always attack with the double slash

to be honest you have to be pretty dumb to ever get hit by those after the first two or three times you see them

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Sigourn Arcane Village Idiot

Sigourn
    Precisely. The reviewer clothes all of these points under a veil of "omg so awesome!!! GOTY", but when you are given the facts and the facts only it is much easier to draw your own opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Haplo Arbiter Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I will have to side with Roxor here. Learn to play before you make judgements, Sjukob.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sjukob Erudite

Sjukob
    Hehehe. I could've accepted this if not for the fact of me beating game on hard and finding it relatively easy. And since you are picking on some points I made to show game's "lol random" behaviour, I'm going to take your post as indirect "fuck you" and reply with: Learn to read before you make judgements.

I can not understand what is so appealing about mastering a bad system and how Elex combat system can appear as good to anyone who played Gothic.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    The point is it's not particularly good, but it's not as bad as people who don't understand it are trying to paint it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. IncendiaryDevice Self-Ejected Village Idiot

Self-Ejected
    A bit like the Avadon series then?

^ Top  
  14. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    how would i know

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    I enjoyed avadon too, for what its worth.

^ Top  
  16. Diablo169 Arcane

Diablo169
    Mainstream reviews and opinion just aren't as important as they once were. I recall it being the top game on twitch and one of the more famous streamers playing it extensively. He didn't sugarcoat some things he saw as flaws but was quite positive about the game.

Found his opinion

^ Top  
  17. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    I mentioned this when the reviews first came out. The best part is, the reviews on Steam by actual players have always been positive. Right now they are Mostly Positive (3700+ reviews, 76% positive) and have been that way since release.

I was going to also point out how recent reviews have been "Very Positive", but I checked just now and they are Mixed, which is weird (they were Very Positive a few days ago when I last checked.)

Anyway, I believe these mainstream reviewers make educated guesses and roll the dice with games like this. They expected it to be bad, Angry Joe makes fun of PB's games after all, and they wanted to capitalize on that and jumped the gun early. They never thought that the game would actually be good (great to some) and get positive reviews on Steam. So now they are looking foolish and losing credibility. That's not even mentioning the lack of correct information in those reviews. The reviewers didn't even know how to play the game in some cases.

4/10 is a broken, unplayable game IMO, and the game has 2700+ positive reviews on Steam for a Mostly Positive score. Doesn't add up, at all.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    What credibility?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lahey Laheyist Patron

Lahey
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    [​IMG]
    Ironic that your example would be a full-time streamer who engages in promos on behalf of publishers. Streaming is useful to see gameplay but the big fish are as much a part of the industry PR-wing as any gamejournopro.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. IncendiaryDevice Self-Ejected Village Idiot

Self-Ejected
    The game had a lot of patches soon after release. Our very own Jasede , who likes the game a lot, even nearly had to quit because of a potentially game breaking bug.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    I fixed it by sleeping 30 times in a row!...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    No it didn't, lol.

I was there from before the start. It had a day one patch, another one a week or so later and now the latest one. That's 3 total.

Since Risen 2 PB has released some of the least buggiest RPGs on the market. ELEX may be *the* single least buggiest open-world RPG ever released. That's not hyperbole, either, look into it.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. One Stoned Bastard Educated

One Stoned Bastard
    It's because gaming journalists are not real critics, they're not real anythings really, other than real shills.
    They hardly even like video games.

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Master Learned

Master
    How quickly the Codex forgets. For 100 pages on ELEX pre-release thread all you could find was post after post about how horrible the game looks. This even extended to the devs with one poster saying how "Jenny looks like shit. I would rather fuck a horse in the pussy." Thats the treatment Codex gave to these Gothic devs for 100 pages. Even though on every video and screenshot it CLEARLY said pre-alpha, not even beta but pre-alpha. At the same time on PoE 2 thread people defended that games graphics by saying how its only alpha even though it didnt say so on any screenshot or video. Beautiful. Even the Official Codex Gamescom interview was tacky where they constantly put the devs in a bad spot with questions like "what is your target demographic" Why the fuck you even ask them that?! Like theyre some AAA studio. All they could say was, well we just think this is fun, which is probably true. Really i never saw any other dev being poked and prodded like that. It was a pretty weird interview. And now after all that we have this thread - Elex Treatment by Gaming Media, where Codex defends the game from evil journalists... What a joke.

• butthurt butthurt x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    dis could be mindblowing but bear with me

mayhap the crux is in the word pre-release

makes u think dunnit

• :M :M x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)