Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by Jools, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Stokowski Arcane

Infinitron
    Jeez, have you looked out a window recently?

• Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. anvi Liturgist Village Idiot

Infinitron
    Elite Dangerous is so shit and shallow, biggest let down ever. X4 is too early to buy, all the X games are so bad but they are hugely modable so you have to wait 5 years after release for patches and some mods. So get X3 now with lots of mods, or get X4 in a few years once it is ok. Space games disappoint me so much. Except for Space Rangers.

^ Top  
  3. Yosharian Cipher

Infinitron
    Exactly what you just said. I have about 700 hours logged and near-zero desire to play it again.

I will say that if you do get into the Engineer grind, at least the Engineering system itself gives you a reason to actually obtain materials that exist in the game, mining, surface mining, etc.

But there are so many shitty, un-fun mechanics still in the game that, as you say, I can barely recommend it to anyone.

^ Top  
  4. Suchy Arcane

Infinitron
    lolwut? There's probably no other game where VR adds as much, can't imagine playing it on a monitor. The only issue is with keyboard shortcuts, because you can't really see the keyboard, so a voice recognition software is a must (I'm using VoiceAttack).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Yosharian Cipher

Infinitron
    The game is extremely poorly designed when it comes to VR, and he's absolutely right, it's not optimized well at all.

^ Top  
  6. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

Infinitron
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    What are you missing from the game exactly, regarding the VR?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. anvi Liturgist Village Idiot

Infinitron
    A USB virtual vagina?

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Yosharian Cipher

Infinitron
    To play this game anywhere near optimally, you need access to third-party websites. You can't do that while wearing a VR headset. Plus, the galaxy map is an abomination in VR mode. Driving around in the SRV is awful in VR, as well. The outfitting menus don't work properly. Not to mention that the stuff you could spend the majority of your time doing in Elite, such as wandering about in supercruise, performing endless hyperspace jumps, or doing any monotonous crap like trading, VR is crap for stuff like that.

The only thing VR is halfway decent for is dog-fighting. The rest of the time, it's a complete waste of time.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Suchy Arcane

Infinitron
    Ok, I can agree on third party websites - though I rarely need to do any switching... like taking the headset off once an hour to plan the next route, while sitting in a base, is not that much of a problem. And yeah, galaxy map is shit, but easy enough to get used to. Partially agree with supercruise, for that i've mapped galnet under voice commands, or listen to some podcasts. I don't feel the need to watch youtube or whatever while travelling. Still it's very much possible to use a VR overlay app, where you can play vids or whatever - tried that, but got bored and got back to podcasts.
    SRV in VR is fucking awesome, and absolutely no problem with any menus.

^ Top  
  10. Fedora Master Magister

Infinitron
    SRVs are godawful crap even without VR so vOv

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. anvi Liturgist Village Idiot

Infinitron
    Stevie Ray Vaughan plays in VR?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    This thread is hilarious. Even more hilarious is the existence of the Elite-style space sim. It's an incredibly niche genre. Codexian's standard of "fun game" doesn't even apply to most of the well-liked ones. Yet more often it bait naive mainstream gamer into trying it, for the obvious reason that space is cool and flying spaceships even more so. Then predictably they got butthurt about the genre's incredibly tedious gameplay. And usually for good reasons, too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. SpaceGhost Barely Literate

Infinitron
    Big fat nay. It's kind of cool for the first 10 hours or so, but by that point you've smoked all your weed so you realize the game isn't actually fun.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  14. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    [​IMG]

Cuntbag.

Still love it.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Morkar illiterate

Infinitron
    FYI Steam counts the time the launcher is running.

I mean I really hope that's what I'm seeing here...

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I know it does, that's probably a good 100 hours of it.

I got myself from 0 to Cutter twice, and I love flying around and seeing the sights, and I am not ashamed of it either.

[​IMG]

Now I have 270 hours in No Mans Sky, that's much worse, especially since I can't remember a single moment I really enjoyed the game.

But, I just really enjoy laid back games these days. just listen to music or some podcasts and play something not too involved.

• Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morkar illiterate

Infinitron
    I admire your abundance of freetime!

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Infinitron
    I have only 346 hours and even that was approximately 300 too much.

I recently uninstalled the shit because I needed a few terabyte space for flightsm scenery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. CaffeineConquistador Learned

Infinitron
    A few terabytes? I’m legit curious, what sim are you playing?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Infinitron
    X-Plane 11 with Ortho4XP terrain

Basically you cram 1/2m resolution aerial imagery onto your harddisks and double the electricity bill by running the converter overnight.
    I filled half a 4TB drive in 1 week

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    • WTF am I reading x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. AN4RCHID Arcane

Infinitron
    That's how I played MS Flight Sim X, just relax with a beer and put on a podcast. I tried the same with E:D in VR but the mentioned useability issues eventually got to me, and I didn't want to switch back to a monitor because it looks and feels so much better in VR. If they could fix the VR interface it would be a great background game.

^ Top  
  22. McPlusle Learned

Infinitron
    What about the first three Elite games? It seems as if those were rather obscure here in the states, and nowadays there are several ways to play all three through sourceports or DOS or what have you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Morkar illiterate

Infinitron
    Instead of the original Elite I recommend a fully modded Oolite. You can download and install mods right from the game menu. Make sure to get these gfx upgrade mods.

For Elite First Encounters there are some modded versions too with improved graphics. Look for FFE d3d AndyJ version.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. anvi Liturgist Village Idiot

Infinitron
    They are all stupid and boring. You either trade virtual goods like a loser, do fedex quests, or you engage in the worst most pointless combat. It is amazing that the games industry is so bad, it can turn being a space pilot into something so boring and low tech.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Infinitron
    You really need to have played Elite in the mid/late 1980s to understand how good it was. 8-bit Elite gameplay was as much ahead of its time as IV is behind.

It was like stepping into a time machine that took you at least 10 years forward. You had probably played nothing in your life but 2d jump&runs in which you steer crude animals over the road so they dont get squashed by much too fast cars. And suddenly you were in a PC-like scifi simulator with 3d graphics and real economics. neither the 3d graphics nor the economics look like much today but oh boy were they a step into the future in 1986. The fact that the game was hard as fuck (considering you probably pirated it and had no manual) made it even more rewarding when you finally started making money. It felt like you EARNED it like a businessman and not just by jumping left and right.

It seriously puzzles me though how Braben could have been part in this. He either completely stuck his head in arse for 30 years or is untalented as a game designer. To think he went with this arcadish b/s while some Croatian nobodies come up with something like Hellion, it's ridiculous.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)