Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Not that I even own this game because it looks retarded and grindy.

It is one of the grindiest games there ever was. There's a core of fun, good-sounding, good-looking space dogfighting under there (which we experienced in the beta) but nowadays it's wrapped up in monumental layers of grind and tedium. Even travelling around the bubble is broken down into tons of unnecessary loading screens as you have to manually jump from system to system. Something like Starsector is a much better option.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who gives a shit

The 1% of the players who:
- still play the game
- have mindlessly grinded >5b credits over the years
- plan on mindlessly grinding some more to pay the weekly upkeep
- want to show off with a mobile base with less functionality and worse prices than the 9843242e14 stations around

But the other 99% can still enjoy those carriers by landing and paying a premium to earn less money than anywhere else by selling their goods with additional tariffs.

The beauty of it is the amount of money Frontier must have spent to get this whole feature developed, and how many paint job microtransactions they'll need to break even, but won't sell because they made sure most players won't get a carrier in the first place. But then, that's the same people who decided that arena pvp (CQC) and celebrity-driven group grind minigame (Powerplay) were critical features to tack on to the game asap, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Frontier's official business reports show that they earn more and more from Elite in each year, so there is a good amount of core players who play the game. And there is also a nice influx of new players.

I'm happy that the carriers cost a lot, because nothing would be worse than every second player having a supercarrier, flooding every system with them. Having a few dozen of these is a much better balance.

Fishy

Savant
I'm happy that the carriers cost a lot, because nothing would be worse than every second player having a supercarrier, flooding every system with them. Having a few dozen of these is a much better balance.

I don't care for balance, I wanted an offline game. *gathers pitchfork and furiously googles up Frontier's address*

And turning "# millions of credits per hour" into an even more important metric is not balance. It's inflation. It just means the next toy will cost 100b and missions/rewards will be adjusted as such. At the end of the day, that's what the game has done since launch, each new expensive toy being paired not long after with new vastly improved money making schemes. I remember the old "Not everyone needs to have an Anaconda". Can you even play in open without coming across dozens of Anacondas/Cutters/Corvettes these days?

Imho, cost is almost irrelevant here. It just follows the shitty inflation this game has seen since launch. I'm just flabbergasted at how long it took Frontier to mention/hype/develop/release such an apparently massive feature which amounts to "added a new space station model". Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to land on more planet types than rocky/icy.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Humans are extemely compulsive animals who keep at a certain point just keep doing pointless things because they have to, like biting fingernails.

I noticed myself that I kept playing ED way past the point I found it fun. Thje point is simple that in the absence of an engrossing space sim ED was all I had

And that is also the reason why people keep playing ED. It is shit, but the other space sims are even greater shit. In ED you can at least pretend to travel long distances, whereas other games have scaled space into the confinements of their shitty engine until it no longer feels like space.

DraQ

Arcane

I don't care for balance, I wanted an offline game. *gathers pitchfork and furiously googles up Frontier's address*

And turning "# millions of credits per hour" into an even more important metric is not balance. It's inflation. It just means the next toy will cost 100b and missions/rewards will be adjusted as such. At the end of the day, that's what the game has done since launch, each new expensive toy being paired not long after with new vastly improved money making schemes. I remember the old "Not everyone needs to have an Anaconda". Can you even play in open without coming across dozens of Anacondas/Cutters/Corvettes these days?

Imho, cost is almost irrelevant here. It just follows the shitty inflation this game has seen since launch. I'm just flabbergasted at how long it took Frontier to mention/hype/develop/release such an apparently massive feature which amounts to "added a new space station model". Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to land on more planet types than rocky/icy.
Well, you can always just boot up old Frontier in DOSBox or maybe contribute to Pioneer if you can into gamedev.

Both are solo and you can land wherever you fucking please.

DraQ

Arcane
Humans are extemely compulsive animals who keep at a certain point just keep doing pointless things because they have to, like biting fingernails.

I noticed myself that I kept playing ED way past the point I found it fun. Thje point is simple that in the absence of an engrossing space sim ED was all I had
You can always retreat into deep space autism and play COADE. :obviously:

Fishy

Savant
Well, you can always just boot up old Frontier in DOSBox or maybe contribute to Pioneer if you can into gamedev.

Both are solo and you can land wherever you fucking please.

Indeed, for all the warts, FFE is still a thing of beauty. But I like telling myself that being personally mad at Frontier will make them realise that I'm totally right and that they'll start using their gorgeous engine to finally make the Elite 4 I want instead of the World of Braben they wasted my precious money on. In my dreams, it totally works!

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Fuck, hadn't played in a while, decided to pick it up. My Krait was far on an outer arm when I last played so I got ready to fly back to Sag A* and hand in exploration data at the new station there.

2 hours later I charged my FSD and joined into a system. In it are two stars, no planets. No FSD injections.

I am now keep having only a single jump option. Wonder if I will get out or that it's just a dead end.

Xq3epzM.png

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Anything new happening with the aliens these days?
Given they managed to even make alien invasions something boring, i wouldnt count on it. Will always be that static lifeless boring universe.

The whole game is defined by its sleepiness. The only thing remotely exciting was attacking surface settlements in a rover. But that's an insignificant part of the gameplay.

Just play KSP.

Morkar Left

Anything new happening with the aliens these days?
Given they managed to even make alien invasions something boring, i wouldnt count on it. Will always be that static lifeless boring universe.

The whole game is defined by its sleepiness. The only thing remotely exciting was attacking surface settlements in a rover. But that's an insignificant part of the gameplay.

Just play KSP.

Or you guys could just play X4 instead. Actually by now even Star Citizen will bring you more fun (ointless fun but at least some fun). The core game at release was decent. A graphically and feature updated version of the old Elite game. Everything that came after was grudgingly bad design for me. I guess it took me 20 hours to get my controller properly configured, get used to the flight model and understand the core game mechanics. After that I played around 20 hours for real and from these I had only around 5 hours of fun. In my complete braindead frustration I even bought the horizons expansion. Landed on a planet and decided after 20 minutes to sell the landing module because landing was such a shitty and pointless annoyance. It has a big universe, nice graphics and some nice ship designes (with a nostalgia bonus for the oldschool ships). But that's it for me.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I still have a blast exploring even after 1100 hours. I have done maybe 10 hours of combat. Went from Sidewinder to Cutter twice.

I am glad there isn't any narrative shit I have to do, it would just get on my goddamn nerves.

Yosharian

Arcane

Just play KSP CoaDE.
Fixed.

At least until someone makes The Expanse game - if not in IP then at least in spirit.
What the hell do either of those acronyms stand for??

DraQ

Arcane

Just play KSP CoaDE.
Fixed.

At least until someone makes The Expanse game - if not in IP then at least in spirit.
What the hell do either of those acronyms stand for??
KSP = Kerbal Space Program.
CoaDE = Children of a Dead Earth.

KSP doesn't really need much introduction, I believe.

CoaDE is a one man project (which sadly shows sometimes) that attempts (with varying but overall quite impressive success rate) to derive near future space combat basically from first principles - you build warships out of parametrized modules defined by physical models and material properties and have them manoeuvre using n-body orbital physics and duke it out using quite detailed physical simulation.

Highly recommended if somewhat flaky, mandatory ride if you're a :obviously: Sci-Fi turbonerd.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/children-of-a-dead-earth.111131/

DraQ

Arcane
I'd rather try X4 but seems like it still needs more time.
It probably won't get more time.
Plus the trailers are much earlier version, stuff like this is more representative of the current version:

And that's what you get when you crank the module designer to near physical limits of the 5' in the future tech in game - like solid core reactors and NTRs (basically NERVAs), etc:
(The bright blue lines are rapid-firing 100km/s pellet railguns, BTW, indigo rapid fire 40km/s multistage coilguns).
Yeah, that's 30.2GW of waste heat rejected at some 2630K.

Also, it's a game where it's fairly typical to throw 20 or 50 nuclear missiles at enemy ship in a single wave - you know you want to.

Some dewd playing a bunch of the early missions using current version:

DraQ

Arcane
At relatively close orbital flyby you definitely get 3D environment even with low delta-v and acceleration, because you will have two ships/fleets leading each other and weapon fire incoming asymmetrically because of that.
Something like this:
F28CCCDE6A8FD32A5059ADB7AF73E901778801ED
Yes, that path looks complex when seen from an outside perspective, but what happens when you normalize it using one of the combatants as the frame of reference, instead of an outside point that has no meaning?
That's in combatants' frame of reference.

And it's just 1-on-1.
Norfleet
An old shot I've found, this time using stock armaments so I can actually tell exactly what is what based on tracers alone:
C5BE77509EB59F70C018E2C400B8EBEE4675F477

You have different velocity fire incoming and outgoing at different angles and it may make sense to have it inform your tactics and even ship layout.
And again, it's just 1-on-1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom