Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yeah, my pal sabotaged my team and made one really old hotlet who is going to die in like 4 years. I've also got a fairy who will die at age 30, so age is something I'm kind of concerned about and clearly blew at character creation.

Here's my team -

nkOOgEZ.png

It goes samurai - brawler - cleric - valkyrie - bard - alchemist

S6d6fJu.png

This is Mory, the character my friend made. She started out as a servant because what the fuck is a servant????? We had to find out. She's a "dutful" old lady that follows the party around and cleans up after them. We found out early on that servants aren't actually that good, so we made her an alchemist which made her age a year and lowered all her stats to the base. She's pretty awful and she's a geriatric but her alchemist spells are nice. The legend of Mory...

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah, my pal sabotaged my team and made one really old hotlet who is going to die in like 4 years. I've also got a fairy who will die at age 30, so age is something I'm kind of concerned about and clearly blew at character creation.
You can solve this by triggering the kiss of the goddess trap.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Servants are good as "final" classes.

Collect spells from multi-classing from other classes first because otherwise they'll just twiddle their thumbs.

This plays a lot more like Wizardry than GTX and a lot less animu...But I honestly like GTX gameplay better.

But I am having to grind quite a bit at the start of the second dungeon... is it because i suck at this or expected?

Party is lizard Brawler/human Valkyrie/werebeast Bard/fairy Alchemist/dwarf Priest/elf wizard. No class changes yet.

Dorateen

Arcane
So is anyone else still playing this jewel, this uncrowned 2014 cRPG of the Year? It seems a shame that there hasn't been a post in over two months, buried in this damnable quarter of the forums notwithstanding.

I found this game to be an excellent throwback to a style that just isn't seen anymore. Not only the party building and class progression, but even leveling up brings tension to the experience. I'm enjoying the exploration with the need for real mapping. Discovering secret doors after consulting hand-drawn maps on graph paper yields such satisfaction. Combat varies from amusing to challenging. Once the world map areas opened up, I like being able to choose where to go, and not be directed.

While MMX offered a more realized game world with better developed characters, I'm drawn to the superior dungeons and full party dynamic of Elminage Gothic. I also enjoy managing a roster of back-up parties to run errands or hold onto surplus items.

More players should check out this title.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's good, but I enjoyed GTX: Code Hazard or even The Dark Spire (NDS) better when it came to dungeon design and character building, not to mention the more advanced stuff like Strange Journey. Perhaps you could check those out if you enjoy Early Wizardry-like RPGs.

MMX is very different from this type of RPGs, though. Not all blobbers are directly comparable.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'll be sure to check those out at some point. While I do lean in preference toward the latter Wizardries, there's nothing wrong with a straight dungeon delve. I like having towns to visit and wilderness areas to traverse, which is why I was torn between MMX. But I can appreciate the efficiency of static menus just as well.

I think there are similiarities, however, among combat focused first person crawlers that can be looked at. For instance, I liked triggering abilities and special attacks in Legacy, but Gothic seems to have a better spell selection. Plus having two extra party members allows for more options and keeps things interesting. For me, it's all about the game infrastructure, and one that lets me to take the party I've created through its content. Naturally, I'm using the same four characters in both games, plus two others I haven't been able to party with since Storm of Zehir.

Actually, I thought I was going to end up making the same party from Crusaders. But it's due to the differences in EG, I've had to adjust accordingly. No fairie ninja this time, he's gone thief-hunter. And our previous bard is serving quite well in the role of alchemist.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dorateen If you enjoy the combat focus of blobbers, you might do well to check out Labyrinth of Touhou 1+2. Personally I think those are tactically the best when it comes to menu-driven RPG combat -- and honestly, turn-based RPG combat in general. (Do search the JRPG forum for dedicated threads about those games.) The writing and setting are JRPG-like inane, but the combat is the most flexible, open-ended, and challenging among all TB RPGs I've ever played (and I have played a lot), especially when it comes to LoT2.

grudgebringer

So is anyone else still playing this jewel, this uncrowned 2014 cRPG of the Year? It seems a shame that there hasn't been a post in over two months, buried in this damnable quarter of the forums notwithstanding.

I'm struggling to find a spare time, but I'll get back to it when it's possible. Definitely one of the brightest spots of the year.
According to GOTY awards not a lot of people tried it, though, so it's a question of awareness, I guess. But anyway I like it even more when underappreciated.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I recently managed to man up and actually get into this game, and I think it really might be the most underappreciated release of 2014. The fact that you need to put quite a lot of effort into it before seeing any reward (as in, interesting dungeon design or party building/dynamics) probably didn't help.

Dorateen

Arcane
It is definitely one that rewards patience. Seeing those new textured dungeons after the multi-level opening caves, was a great moment. A lot of the appeal I find, is the unveiling of the next off-the-wall monster design waiting around the corner. (And subsquently executing a strategic retreat to come back later...)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I probably would have tried this earlier but I got fairly burnt out on the genre from Wizardry Xth; wherein I spent too many hours retracing my steps because I found a secret passage leading to a certain death trap. That game did not reward exploration.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I have this game but its not near the top of my to-play list. Is it better than Elminage Original? I thought that one was ok but not gripping enough to finish.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The need to click 20 times to do anything anywhere and read wiki to understand what the hell is a paladin ruined it for me, as well as all the random encounters, same textures and all that stuff. Strange, I thought I liked blobbers... I think I am broken. But I just didn't find everything fun. And you know what, I found Grimoire, no matter how broken and weird it is, fun, since it was just fun to look at and dungeon design was fairly well done.
Other than that, it's a blobber alright. Everything is a carbon copy of what you might used to, including starting city screen, bar, shop, all the stuff. And you will have to roll a lot to make that Ninja.
Sorry for being so decline.

grudgebringer

The need to click 20 times to do anything anywhere and read wiki to understand what the hell is a paladin ruined it for me, as well as all the random encounters, same textures and all that stuff. Strange, I thought I liked blobbers... I think I am broken. But I just didn't find everything fun.

For me it's part of the game. You have to explore things and find out everything on your own. Don't try to build a perfect party and know just about everything, instead have fun with what you can do with different classes/skills and learn through the game.
And texturing is working great as a reward for working your way through dungeons, it's fun to discover different set of textures on deeper floors.

zwanzig_zwoelf

So, how many people gave up and ran off from this game with their asses handed back to them? I'm considering to give this game a try.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Outdone by RPG Watch. So who's going to pick up this cup and write Codex's own review?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

Thanks for the link - it's a decent review - more or less what I already knew but some decent tips.

I have only engaged with it for a short time - but I think next time I try it I need all the tricks and tips written down somewhere - otherwise it will end as fail due to frustration.

Problem - tips and tricks aren't in one place!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom