Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

Ysaye

Arbiter
Good party, but I think you need a cleric.

Also you have no alchemy spells. Very powerful kit you are missing.

One solution could be to quickly level his mage to get all levels of spells on the first dungeon then class change to an alchemist, as arguably that is around the point where you would really want one around.

Agree the bishop is slow going; have one in town and for the quests but otherwise....

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Finally finished Caves of Tsun-Kurn after accidentally getting buttrekt by a Vovalketer.

The first dungeon p much grinds people alive if they're not accustomed with dungeon crawling, either through enemy encounters or by breaking their will. Feels so good to finally get through it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Here's the way to easily beat Volkabitch, but it's not worth it cos it's better to wait and come back and steal his weapon and/or poke-capture him with your Summoner (or both); the XP reward for simply killing him isn't enough to justify doing it without getting his equipment, nevertheless if you just don't care about waiting you can off him right now by doing this:

You can easily charm him using a Bard's Tarot ability, and he'll kill himself in 2 hits, lul

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The bards in this game are a lot funnier and better designed than the bland Wizardry 6-8 ones.

Virgin lute player sleeping everyone (even the player) just until level 5, VS Chad gambler, getting high risk high reward powerful card plays.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Do you get to just pick whatever Tarot effect you want? Looking at them on the wiki, they seem mostly OP as fuck.

I decided to give this another go. Reloading because I don't feel like walking back out of the dungeon with only one decent fighter after the super cheapass uber monster fight, even though a single brawler could probably pull it off. Why do wizardry games have these things? It's not interesting. It's the video game equivalent of 'rocks fall, everyone dies.' It just makes me less inclined to even bother exploring at all. Is there even any treasure in the game besides random shit after encounters or random ore while walking around? I don't get the point of having a huge complex dungeon with no reason to explore it once you can leave.

Damned Registrations

I honestly haven't been able to notice a difference so far. Hopefully the second dungeon is better than the first.

Damned Registrations

Well the second dungeon at least can kill my characters. Unfortunately it's mostly done so via random bullshit I have no control over. And the hardest fights so far have rewarded me with... a whip. I also got a Fairy Whip from a relatively easy fight. Neither is of any use at all.

AFAICT the best way to get stronger at this point would be to walk back and forth in the first dungeon to farm ore for 20 million years. But that'd take much more time than just levelling up my guys some more in the second dungeon and savescumming when they die so I don't have to fork over 5k gold for a chance they might not be gone forever. For that matter, I'd be better off just grinding levels at the gremlin hole in the first dungeon. And the only reason to even do this is that presumably there's a boss here to kil to progress the story- I'd have no incentive to fight any of the random encounters since I'm already levelled up and the loot is total garbage.

I'm just not really seeing the appeal. There's no reward for exploring and combat is a super random crapshoot of status effects and mages getting 1 shot.

Damned Registrations

The XP seems to be of questionable value though. I'm doing very close to the same damage I was at level 1. Smithing up all my gear so I regen 30 hp every round and my brawlers don't get confused and murderize half my team would be a much bigger impact than a couple more levels. But walking back and forth while 30 xp battles with fluff balls pop up would be infuriating.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The XP seems to be of questionable value though. I'm doing very close to the same damage I was at level 1. Smithing up all my gear so I regen 30 hp every round and my brawlers don't get confused and murderize half my team would be a much bigger impact than a couple more levels. But walking back and forth while 30 xp battles with fluff balls pop up would be infuriating.

Just get the xp boost mod.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Each dungeon floor has a separate list of equipment it can drop.
This equipment is equally divided into 3 rarities. Obviously the best equipment you can get from each dungeon floor tends to be the most rare.

Check the item lists. If any given floor does not offer anything interesting to you, I'd suggest to stop wasting time and move on.
http://translate.google.com/transla...rv2/elg/E694BBE795A52FE5B08FE3838DE382BF.html

My experience is that grinding is NOT required in the vanilla game. Might sometimes grind some floor for a weapon you really like, but in general it's better to progress. There will be stronger stuff later on anyway (and previously rare items will eventually become common).
Of course can gain a few early levels at the hole, avi statue or training center, nothing wrong with that. But generally you seem to be wasting too much time and effort at this time.

Also the last level dungeon bosses ("Floor Bosses") are not required for the story and are quite OP, you should just skip them for now, maybe come back later.
Some of them can be cheesed fairly easily (like the 1st one), but it doesn't really make sense to do so. They don't give much xp or drop anything special. Better come back later to either steal their stuff (needs Thief with Mastery ability - minimum 26 level) or poke-capture them and use as unique summons (but as they all are quite resistant and it will take a bit of time and effort, might as well go straight for the strongest ones from last vanilla dungeons - like Gaia).

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Damned Registrations WTF are you talking about? I didn't smith shit until mid game and had no problems beating dungeons. You die from time to time,so what? You get confused? Confuse,charm, sleep,paralyze debuff: use your fucking OP spells.

Weapons and equipment drop at fairly decent rates. Maybe you don't get everytime the best item for your level if you don't grind, but you get upgrades very often.

This game gives you insane tools, but it's fair so they give them to the enemy. Git gud and stop complaining. I'm not even a good player.

If you have problems use this guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321865136

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

To be clear, I haven't been grinding at all. I've only got like 2 hours on the clock on my current run. But I've gotten literally no equipment upgrades so far. Nothing. The only item that dropped that might have been an upgrade for someone was a rusty sword that gets an extra attack but is probably still too shit to bother with, and nobody on my team needs a sword anyways.

If I'm expected to look at fucking item lists and grind fights in specific spots to get appropriate gear, fuck that. That's not interesting. That's like a bad clicker game. I've spent 2 hours and seen nothing interesting drop, and there's nothing to find by exploring except deathtrap monsters I should ignore.

Perhaps I'll clear the second dungeon as well before declaring you all completely retarded, but if I haven't found something exciting by then, I can only assume you're all just total autists that love grinding for rare drops and reading wikis to learn the stats of every enemy.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Meh, reading wikis or guides is indeed retarded, I think you regularly find items significantly stronger that the ones you're wearing in Elminage : Gothic.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I will concede that the first dungeons are the weaker part of the game. The game is a blast after that.

Ysaye

Arbiter

Have you bought the Flameberge yet? Do you have any mages with decent attack spells? I can't believe you haven't got any decent weapons and gear and struggling to increase damage yet are on the second dungeon.

Damned Registrations

I'm not struggling with offense, no reason to drop 20k on that thing. Actually, I ended up giving my front line pairs of whips so they don't get fucked by mages or archers hiding behind one 'hiding' cunt that never gets revealed. Also realized one of my guys kept getting murderized because apparently 'cursed' counts as a status effect for pursuit, which never misses and rolls like double damage or something. RIP awesome cursed club.

Tree dungeon is actually much easier than the other one, but after exploring the first level and realizing the game expects me to turn to every fucking wall and manually search it, I think I'm done with this game. I don't even want to know what other autistic bullshit is in store.

For the record, after 4 hours and 3 different dungeons, the list of decent items I've found consists of:
Fairy Whip (it can hit ghosts at least)
Fairy Gloves (it has better stats than a normal glove... good thing my bishop happened to be a fairy so it wasn't completely worthless)
A Rusty Longsword (has 2 attacks instead of one... never used it because brawlers hit 4 times harder than everyone else.)
A Beastbone Sword? It's got really awful stats but double damage vs animals... which means it's not worth using.

Everything else has been shit I could have bought in the store or just outright trash like those Konbou things. I guess there were those shitty Quenstene things for hitting ghosts too, but honestly their stats are so bad they don't seem worth carrying. Not a single piece of even chainmail armour.

Hmm, I wonder if they were actually crazy enough to make it linked to the luck stat? If the luck of the person opening the chest did have a huge impact on loot, I could see the point in having a dedicated thief.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not struggling with offense, no reason to drop 20k on that thing. Actually, I ended up giving my front line pairs of whips so they don't get fucked by mages or archers hiding behind one 'hiding' cunt that never gets revealed. Also realized one of my guys kept getting murderized because apparently 'cursed' counts as a status effect for pursuit, which never misses and rolls like double damage or something. RIP awesome cursed club.

Tree dungeon is actually much easier than the other one, but after exploring the first level and realizing the game expects me to turn to every fucking wall and manually search it, I think I'm done with this game. I don't even want to know what other autistic bullshit is in store.

For the record, after 4 hours and 3 different dungeons, the list of decent items I've found consists of:
Fairy Whip (it can hit ghosts at least)
Fairy Gloves (it has better stats than a normal glove... good thing my bishop happened to be a fairy so it wasn't completely worthless)
A Rusty Longsword (has 2 attacks instead of one... never used it because brawlers hit 4 times harder than everyone else.)
A Beastbone Sword? It's got really awful stats but double damage vs animals... which means it's not worth using.

Everything else has been shit I could have bought in the store or just outright trash like those Konbou things. I guess there were those shitty Quenstene things for hitting ghosts too, but honestly their stats are so bad they don't seem worth carrying. Not a single piece of even chainmail armour.

Hmm, I wonder if they were actually crazy enough to make it linked to the luck stat? If the luck of the person opening the chest did have a huge impact on loot, I could see the point in having a dedicated thief.

Have you played Original? You miss out on Ex skills and a larger loot pool but it's a lot more user friendly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom