Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

Dorateen

Arcane
Did you ever trigger the "kiss of the goddess" traps on treasure chests? Those are the ones that reduce a character's age. It's a good way to keep short-lived races from growing old.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I had a fairy with a short lifespan, so whenever I identified that trap, I've made sure she was the one to open the chest/trigger the trap. Worked pretty well for her.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
NO

zSfZHk3.jpg

So, what are my options?
There's the fountain in Ishmag that changes race to Devilish, but when I use it I run into a bug crashes the game (even in fullscreen mode). The screen turns black and stays that way, though I can still use the mouse.
Jane is also a Valkyrie so I'm not sure if changing her race to devilish won't also change alignment to evil.
Is there another way to change race?

That explains it. I thought there was only one roll, in which case 90% resistance isn't that high. Guess I'll try to capture easier targets until I level up a bit.

I never encountered that bug. Weird. I used that fountain effectively to change into Devilish.

Anyway, you can use the Alchemist spell to reduce age or farm Treasure of the Goddess traps (she has to be the one to open them).

Alternatively you can just go to Game Mods section of the english wiki website for Elminage: Gothic and go into the hex editing section and read that, then open up your game save in a hex editor and change her age. It's surprisingly easy and anyone can learn to do it even with no experience hex editing, and you will only have to change 1 number.

Use a hex-to-decimal and decimal-to-hex calculator to get the hex variable for the age you want and then input it into the corresponding hex field. Really, it's very easy, and the hex editing section in the Game Mods section is incredibly detailed.

turkishronin

Arcane
What's the deal with "book" weapons and their heavy prices? I found an "Oldest Book" item that does like 6 damage but is worth like 25000 gold. Is there more to these books?

Some books have a "special power", I think, for a one time use that can have serious effects on a character.

Oh yeah I equipped it on one character and they got petrified.

Dorateen

Arcane

Lukipaluki

Novice
Hi aweigh do you still have the most recent iterations of your rebalancing and difficulty mods for E:G? The Filedrop and DropBox links are dead. Would you be able to upload the files somewhere, please?

Also, I am really interested in playing the ported 3DSedits+Translation on PC, so if you have that as well, I would really appreciate it!

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm about to finally play this game. I remember reading you can get a companion in the first dungeon if you have a party member of a certain class; I think it was a cleric or paladin or something like that. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Ysaye

Arbiter
I'm about to finally play this game. I remember reading you can get a companion in the first dungeon if you have a party member of a certain class; I think it was a cleric or paladin or something like that. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

You can get a neutral devilish ninja in the first dungeon. Bishop is what you need I believe from memory (or is just you need to pass over an item you find? Can't exactly remember).

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!

Indeed, you will need a bishop (and there is also a level requirement if I recall) for a special event to trigger. The only way to get that companion is to perform a quest, don't worry it's kinda straightforward if you explore the dungeon thoroughly.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Eh, if you don't mind playing a bit with Summoner and Spirit Pact (or was it blood pact, the EX Skill - but it can be gotten on a tavern bench level 1 Summoner), you can recruit far stronger monster adventurers down the road. A better Ninja is actually pretty easy and fairly early when you capture a Dragonfly.

arcenierin

Novice
I'm going to be picking this back up as well as Elminage Original. I'm working my way thru this megathread. In retrospect, what class/race setup would you go with for a fresh playthru?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Of the top of my head:
Dorf: Valkyrie, cleric (gnome is also ok), lord
Dragonewt: fighter, samurai, brawler
Werebeast: ranger
Hotlet: thief, ninja
Elf: mage, bishop (/alchemist/summoner)

Faerie makes decent bishops (thy don't get any good equipment anyways), but the short lifespan might become annoying.

arcenierin

Novice
Of the top of my head:
Dorf: Valkyrie, cleric (gnome is also ok), lord
Dragonewt: fighter, samurai, brawler
Werebeast: ranger
Hotlet: thief, ninja
Elf: mage, bishop (/alchemist/summoner)

Faerie makes decent bishops (thy don't get any good equipment anyways), but the short lifespan might become annoying.

Thanks. I made it a few dungeons into Gothic during my first foray into the title - then I got distracted.
Literally just installed Original last night when I found it available and in English.
Rolled a party and poked my nose in; going to do more research to decide what party I wanna roll with longer-term.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Original is much more accessible, also feels nicer.

But Gothic offers much more challenge and uncomparable enemy variety (not only in types/species, but most of all in strenghts/weaknesses).

Enemy stats in Origin are boring in comparison - they mostly simply grow with level, most enemies don't have distinct strengths /weaknesses.

Ysaye

Arbiter
I'm going to be picking this back up as well as Elminage Original. I'm working my way thru this megathread. In retrospect, what class/race setup would you go with for a fresh playthru?

Whatever suits within reason* - it is afterall a roleplaying game. If I was going to go again, I would like to see if I could fit in a Kannagi, Hunter, Valkyrie and maybe a Servant somehow...alternatively a party full of Lords might be interesting?

*Ultimately you really want probably at least two of (Elven? Dwarven? or Devilish?) Samurai, Brawler or (Dwarven? Devilish) Fighter as front rowers, as well as at least one Lord (can go front or back, whatever long living race?) and an Alchemist (Elven?). Then add whatever else suits...If you are getting a brawler as a front-rower, then maybe get an (Elven?) Summoner as well (but get all the mage, cleric and alchemy spells first) and the brawler would be a Werebeast and a Hunter may also fit in this combo as well. Aweigh swears by Clerics (over any of the other healing types, due to the spell bonus) as very good healers so that is another option. Valkyrie is a very strong option for a backrow utility, Kannagi is good against demons and ghosts (so basically the large proportion of enemies) etc. etc.....

In terms of the races, the most vulnerable to dying of old age are Faeries, Humans and Halflings. Dragonbeasts can be useful early with their mulit-hit breath attack, but bear in mind that they and werebeasts cop a penalty on exp to level up.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Now that I think about it, Dragonewt is also a good pick for Summoner and even Alchemist characters (if you don't go the route of heavily multiclassing those chars). They are very passive otherwise and, as a Dragonewt, they at least have the Breath as their main attack they can spam (which becomes aoe after a few levels).

Regarding party composition, make sure to include a Mage in the initial setup. Can multiclass him later (for example to Samurai, Bishop, Cleric, Alchemist, Summoner), but first get access to level 7 spells and get Diomente - Teleport ASAP (I think that's at level 13 - might want to reroll the level if you don't get it at level up). Seriously, the utility of that spell in deep mazes is game-changing.

Samurais (and Bards) get it also, but those 3 levels later seems like an eternity because of the required exp difference between level 13 and 16. Not to mention Bishops, those gain new spell levels so slowly that you learn all spells as mage PLUS cleric in HALF the time in takes a Bishop to develop them (so go Mage+Cleric 13, then multiclass to Bishop, can also lear all Alchemy spells underway... and maybe even some 3 slots of Summoning... will still be quicker progression then a dedicated Bishop)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom