Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELONA, the ADOM with sex and grafix

Heresiarch

Prophet
Decorating your house and other sims are just bonuses that you can safely ignore. It's mainly for people who their Dwarf Fortress or UO "house decorating" lust suddenly kicks in.

I've heard the game do have a major plot just like ADOM does. Instead of corruption, you need to stop the spreading of "ether".

I agree that the game may not be truly a roguelike since it doesn't even have perma-death. But the roguelike gameplaying like full keyboard control and old school interface are fully inside.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
I wanted to post something insutling to the game but saw all the crappy insults already made. Then I wanted to post something witty, funny and insulting and failed... epic...

This thread shows the true face of the Decline of The Codex.

The Dude

Liturgist
Morons. Together with Incursion and DF this is probably the most entertaining "new" roguelike. Look past the anime crap, and the game beneath is pretty solid and has a lot of interesting ideas. It can be pretty grindy at times, but the rest of the stuff easily weighs that up. All the codex nazis can have their fun too. You can start a breeding programme to create the true übermensch.

Helton

Arcane
So I've looked at the site and the wiki and I've read this thread and I have no idea what the game is about. Do I have to put in an hour of wiki scanning to even get a bone here? Christ, learn how to make a thread. Here's your form first sentence:

"X is a game about Y where you can Z"

Helton

Arcane
Ah, I see, the idea was I need to go read about, download, and play another game to level up so I can read the thread for this one. My bad.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Kavax said:
I have been playing some more, and there's too much combat in this game, I will stick to Nethack.

wat

Anyways, I got bored off my ass and decided to cheat, the wiki doesnt list all the wizard button purposes, stupid fucking japs

mutant claymores 0wn though, its the tr00 way to play the game, greater evasion is just so overpowered in comparison, heavy armor builds just can't compete because strength values can only get so high, you have to fucking devote to that bullshit

Also making your house look like a fucking nightmare with shit all over the place increases your income

its just too easy though, the only way i've died is from "holy shit" moments where I get my ass kicked before I know what happens, like heading into the arena after you have like 30,000 fame and are level 12.

Basically, it just kind of sucks.

MisterStone

Arcane
I think that the game def has some potential, but DAMMIT they need to get rid of those totally ass character sprites. Looking at the game makes my eyes bleed vitreous fluid. I'd rather see ascii than that stuff.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Well, the game surely has some potential, but right now it's a horrible mass of random Japanese bullshit. It doesn't get even near to Dwarf Fortress and Incursion although it's probably younger then them.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Damn, you guys are insecure.
haruhi_shineba_ii.jpg

Heresiarch

Prophet
I must say I'm tempted to make my next prophecy: The Codex Will Become Hongfire MKII Within 5 Years Or Less

Azarkon

Arcane
Heresiarch said:
I must say I'm tempted to make my next prophecy: The Codex Will Become Hongfire MKII Within 5 Years Or Less

Hongfire has torrent downloads. Codex doesn't. 4chan is more likely.

TheLostOne

Savant
I actually have had this game on my pc for a while. It's pretty fun. The anime nonsense is pretty silly, but it plays very much like any other rogue-like except the graphical interface and menus help with the learning curve until you learn all your hotkeys.

Gene engineering is pretty neat. Other than breeding creatures with 23 equipment slots, you can breed them to sell as slaves or breed creatures who's corpses give stat bonuses or resistances when you eat them.

Lots of stuff to do, but magic isn't very balanced. It becomes markedly inferior to melee at higher level, but I believe that's being addressed.

When I played the forum was pretty active and solid suggestions and bug reports seem to get addressed quickly.

I'd say play it for a bit to see if you can't get past the J factor because there's a pretty solid game underneath.

Higher Game

Arcane
Hey, anime graphics turned Gearhead from an unplayable, indecipherable mess to a kick-ass roguelike, and it's insane to try to play Dwarf Fortress without tiles. Sometimes more really is more. :)

aleph

Arcane
I still prefer to play Linley's Dungeon Crawl.

Higher Game said:
Hey, anime graphics turned Gearhead from an unplayable, indecipherable mess to a kick-ass roguelike, and it's insane to try to play Dwarf Fortress without tiles. Sometimes more really is more. :)

So ... you are not übermensch enough to stand ASCII?

crufty

Arcane
there is a pretty good game underneath the anime veneer--well, after a day or two.

will be interesting to see how it holds in the long haul. open the source up says I...pretty impressive game. Very polished so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom