Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Emperor of Nothing [40k CYOA]

B)

Let's not dunsult ourselves here okay

If the Telbros are equal to the Emperor in *every* capacity save for psychic aptitude, that means surely they possess his talent for politics and manipulation as well. Worse yet, they might come to the same conclusions as the Emperor, and carve their own design onto the current face of the Imperium. Also, consider the sheer potential for unpredictable fuckery here. How will they react to finding out that the ruler of the current Imperium is an incorporeal version of themselves trapped in its own corpse? How will the people react to their beloved God-King walking among them again?

A single bro is easy enough to hide. Let's study our new friend ok

C) is out of the question. So we get 144 super soldiers. So what? We've got armies of them soldier boys. What we don't got are 144 superhumans who have ever reason to resist our manipulation of them and in turn to manipulate us. Generals? We don't want our tools to be superhuman politicians with sleeves full of crazy fucking wildcards. The only saving grace of this choice I can see is that if the news of our new friends ever leak, it will be a whole lot easier to excuse 144 of them away as some ancient experiment in cloning, rather than try to paint a single one as "totally not the real emperor come again you superstitious uneducated masses of the Imperium."

A) would be wasting this opportunity to learn some dank shit btw. We have an opportunity to study an Emperor or as a last resort autopsying the motherfucker, something the janitorial team or whatever they are called would never allows us to do. We might learn some cool shit stop being boring you guys

What Usury is safer than regular old C but would be squandering this great opportunity. Again, do we really need more super soldiers? We've got the Ultramarines (I think. Maybe? LogOS) and everyone knows that they are the best fighting force in all the universe and especially within their space marine peers who were basically worthless little kids until Papa Guilliman showed up and taught them how to Codex btw

One-hundred and forty-four naked Emperors get three votes; how many for our boys in blue?

712.jpg

oscar

Arcane
I think they should be reasonably safe without their psyker powers (would the original Emperor have achieved 1/1000th as much without them?) but I will consider flopping to B.

B)Reminder that the Imperium's super-soldier program practically runs off the Emperor's genetics, whatwith Primarchs and then Space Marines.

Consider how easily he just kicked our ass as an adolescent and butt naked. Fair to say even our new'n'improved marines would be toddlers compared to a force based off these guys.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
that Sister of Battle made of fused SoBs, Ephrariel Stein I think?

I've just read that comic (it's on a thread here) and my understanding is that Ephrariel Stein received knowledge and power from an amalgamation of SoB (mixed with a Keeper of Secrets(?)), but she's not a gestalt herself. And the amalgamation of SoB, called the soul cage, still had some distinct voices if I remember right.

the Emperor is a gestalt of shaman souls

Where is this information it coming from? I know I've already heard something like this, but it was in another CYOA

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
yeah according to Root the Emperor is like Rasputin or something but idk if thats like the real lore

From 1d4chan, apparently it dates back from 1st & 2nd editions and it hasn't been confirmed since. Also GW have later hinted the Emperor is a perpetual, which might or might not be compatible with the gestalt of shaman souls

Baltika9

Arcane
144 Teen-Emperors seems like a recipe for trouble.
I somehow missed that important detail. Even with Guilliman's stable upbringing in a loving household, I still can't see him babysitting so many teenagers. One is definitely enough for now, unless we want to play 40k High School.

Set him up with a nice Eldar girl, it'll all work out.
:love:

Plus, how many actual imperial citizens even know what the emperor looks like? Space Marines are a special case.

A seems like obvious bait.
Let us try and implant the Emperor's soul into it, eh?
LogOS, what does Cawl think of this idea?

The Codex Astartes does not approve of this action.
Gee thanks, Cawl.

Esquilax

Arcane
Wow, a hell of a choice...

A) If this creature possesses the Emperor’s intellect but not his strength of purpose, it is only a liability. Destroy it and be content with the other discoveries made in the Hexarchion Vaults.

Having picked the 'heretical' choices before, in that we initially chose to be guided by an acceptance of fate (which I interpreted to believe that our actions are at times dictated by powers beyond our control, and accepting that fact as a way to find a better path to victory, rather than blindly fighting against it), then again in our acceptance of an alliance with the Eldar, this feels wrong, somewhat.

It feels almost like a betrayal of self to go rah-rah Emprah when we have purposefully chosen to discard the slavishness of the Imperial Creed and accept that maybe He wasn't 100% right about everything.

B) If you take but a single specimen, the risk is therefore reduced. Let Cawl study it; imagine what mighty warriors could be gleaned from this. And there is much you could learn from a tame Emperor.

I don't really see this as much of a reduced risk - psyker powers or no, this thing still has the intellect and the martial might of the Emperor, which makes it superior to us. Conditioning or not, I don't foresee this thing being contained for long. And its attention will be focused solely on us. At least if it has 143 other identical copies, it will have other rivals to worry about.

And hey, if we take the single specimen, it's entirely conceivable that it ends up using said intellect and might to escape and go with Option C) anyways, except this time, taking the remaining 143 copies and binding them to itself instead. Not to induce paranoia here, but it seems like the sort of thing that the Emperor would do!

On the plus side, while I'm speculating here, I would imagine that studying this creature might actually allow us to learn a lot about the Necrons. It also would not surprise me if this thing was a psychic null.

C) An army of Emperor facsimiles would be undefeated in battle, psykers or no. Take all of the 144 and condition them to serve you. What force in the universe would be able to stand against them?

The idea of having complete control over 144 facsimiles of the Emperor is awesome, totally not based in arrogance and has shades of DEVOUR SOUL!!! all over it. A winner any way you slice it.

However, as terrifying as the second phrase is, that assumes that the 144 will fight in a united front. They won't - left to their own devices, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE. They did inherit the Emprah's arrogance too, so they all have to be right about everything. Conflict is inevitable.

God help me, but I'm seriously considering C as one of those "crazy enough that it just might work" sort of plans. We don't need these guys to be on our side necessarily - we just need them to be fighting someone else. But how to deal with them after the smoke clears?

Baltika9

Arcane
Conditioning or not, I don't foresee this thing being contained for long. And its attention will be focused solely on us.

So how about we don't contain it, but take it in as our 'favored son.' After Cawl does some poking around, of course. Ich bin daddy now. :lol:

Or we can bring him in front of the real Emperor, see what happens.

Seriously, though, one or one hundred and forty-four, I don't think we can 'contain' an emperor's clone in any conventional sense. Every one of the choices presented to us have a whiff of Guilliman's arrogance.

A) If this creature possesses the Emperor’s intellect but not his strength of purpose, it is only a liability. Destroy it and be content with the other discoveries made in the Hexarchion Vaults.

B) If you take but a single specimen, the risk is therefore reduced. Let Cawl study it; imagine what mighty warriors could be gleaned from this. And there is much you could learn from a tame Emperor.

C) An army of Emperor facsimiles would be undefeated in battle, psykers or no. Take all of the 144 and condition them to serve you. What force in the universe would be able to stand against them?

What makes Guilliman think that this activated copy can even be destroyed now, or that it will stay docile, or that he can condition 144 emperors to serve him at all. Not to induce paranoia, but the did just disarm and toss Guilliman to the ground. Unless these clones come with a remote control, I don't think containing them is really possible in the long run anyway.

I'm picking B because one clone can be observed more easily, although this probably will prevent Cawl from giving us a good answer as to what is wrong with these clones. Can't really do much science with a sample group of one.

GreyViper

Prophet
B) Now the question is how many enemies we can destroy with this and how badly will this backfire on us. I mean all the signs are there, but maybe we can get out from this disaster. I can see =I= having a field day with this. :D

LogOS

What makes Guilliman think that this activated copy can even be destroyed now.

If anybody is reluctant to choose A because they think it might not work, no need to worry. Guilliman was surprised in a unique situation, but he's still a Primarch with the whole Victrix Guard and a legion of battle servitors waiting around. The fake emprah only got the upper hand because it said spooky stuff.

rewrote a few bits to make scene clearer

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A. You heretics considering C have lost your fucking minds. 20 Primarchs derailed the Imperium and nearly destroyed it. Now imagine 144 beings "As far above the Primarchs as the Primarchs are above humanity" (Plague Wars, condensed)-- all with the same drive, motivation, personality and uniquely monomaniacal self-identity-- unleashed on the Imperium. Even supposing something beneficial to the Imperium came out of the clusterfuck that would result from their Highlander-esque infighting, they'd invite a response from all corners of the Xenoverse that we have no way of reacting to right now.

I thought about B... something along the lines of giving the Telos the full truth and trusting that it will wish to reunite itself with its psychic consciousness, but hoping that it will be willing to be guided and protected until that's possible... but in the end it felt more like "blind insanity" than "bold, status-quo shaking maneuver".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom