Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Emperor of Nothing [40k CYOA]

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by LogOS, Feb 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    A>C

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Kz3r0 , does root's resurgence presage the return of treave ?
    Flopping to B>D.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    We can only hope.

^ Top  
  4. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Whose fate would guide ours, I wonder? The Emperor? Tzeentch? Someone else?

Better not to leave it to more powerful entities. Man must prevail, not Fate.

Guilliman's return actually changex a lot. Many future events stayed the same (Chapter-Master Dante's fated confrontation with Warmaster Abbadon upon the steps of the Golden Throne, for example), but even those were changed. Even the traitors now have more freedom of action thanks to the opening of the Rift. None predicated the Primarch's return. Even Tzeentch knows not the fate of all, that lies deep within the Well of Eternity.

That way to victory is out of our reach, for now. We would need many more loyalist Primarchs to do so.

Right now, we can't win. Best we can do, is survive. We need to survive before we win. The Imperium was already doomed before the Rift.

Does it work?

The reason for failure is because the Imperial Truth was built upon the lie of a secular universe.

Remember - one of our enemies is the Architect of Fate.

We should break fate.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. LogOS Novice

LogOS
    I've rewritten some of the main text in hopes of making the G-E dialogue clearer, and substantially reworked all choices, as well as adding one that Neanderthal noticed was lacking. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I recommend re-reading at least the new choices before voting.

Also, Infinitron thank you for the help

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Part 1 and you're already retconning :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sheev Novice

Sheev
    Press F) to pay respects.

And you, young LogOS, we will watch your career with great interest.

^ Top  
  9. daveyarsegallant Educated

daveyarsegallant
    E

^ Top  
  10. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    IT BEGINS AGAIN

F) The Path Boundless

I see a great hand, reaching out into the stars! The hand is your hand, Roboute Guilliman.

^ Top  
  11. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  12. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    C>A

New challenges require a new human race capable of breaking the cycle of decadence and barbarism

^ Top  
  13. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    Flip-flopping to C

^ Top  
  14. Obsequious Approbation Savant

Obsequious Approbation
    Well, now that you mention it, F) sounds pretty good. Let us follow the path of the 'Thal, I say.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    Still B.

^ Top  
  16. hoothoot Scholar Patron

hoothoot
    C

rape and revelation could be good too tho but

^ Top  
  17. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    The definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing and expecting different results. My gut feeling on this is that we need to guide ourselves in a different direction, while also not being beholden to slavish morality, as Lithium Flower suggested. After all, it's Guilliman making decisions here, not the Emperor making decisions for him.

Part of this I suspect is the Emperor's own arrogance - you finding redemption doesn't matter, only the objective matters. Ignore the human factor completely.

This is why I don't much like A; in carrying out the Emperor's vision ourselves, we twist it.

But part of this is also fate - we are Death and we must play our part, and hope that our enlightenment and redemption will come.

E, but I still may flop!

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Isn't E kind of a cop out? Blaming everything on fate? Seems pretty weak to me.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The gang is coming back together.:love:
    Nevill, get in here!

OK, but what is your guys' plan with E? Guilliman at least describes strategies for the other options.

This:
    is not a plan. What will we say to our command staff and the Imperium? "You just gotta choose between preying and being preyed upon?"

I also dislike F. The Imperium barely held on since the first Great Crusade. How do you guys expect to expand?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Through extreme violence and absolute, fanatical dedication. :M

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You don't have one, do you?
    +M

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    Acknowledging the role of fate doesn't blame anything, it frees you from the deadly delusion that we are all self-moving souls. Even in a universe where there are multiple "architects of fate," and reality is a transient illusion that depends on faith, there can be an overarching fate (as The Brazilian Slaughter , who offered most resistance to this idea, has already mentioned, even Tzeentch is blind to the fate of all), like a metaprophecy that is the result of all the other, at times conflicting prophecies. Having this perspective is the only way that would allow us to gain awareness of what was and is and will be, to grasp the...Absolute, shall we say - the Emperor certainly claims to have done so. Ironically, these things you guys want to achieve - usurping the architect of fate and cleaving your own destiny - these can only be achieved through this recognition, not by blindly running head-first into the enemy while screaming "I chose to do this and no fate is gonna tell me otherwise, yo!"

Again, E implies quite a few things, even besides the recognition of fate. "All that will be already was, terror and grace exist in equal measure and only for their own sake. Mankind is past evolution and lacks only the maturity" is an abandonment of the kind of slavish morality that burdened the Imperial Creed thus far, an abandonment of the yoking mindset that there is an inherently right or wrong path to take in the pathless Warp (think of all the technological stagnation the Imperium suffered as a direct result of that small-mindedness.) Plus, I sincerely doubt LogOS/root-sama is going to go "Lol, you picked E, but you just do nothing because E didn't specify what you told to your command staff. Get fucked, retards!"

What it says on the tin - unshakeable belief. In a world where faith = reality, I see this as the most blunt approach. Through indomitable conviction the Imperium is to run against the wall of reality until either its will or the latter break. The issue is that this could have the residual effect of empowering Khorne, and considering that's how that one other CYOA ended...I still think E) is a more interesting option and one more likely to succeed.

Again, if we were going for the path most likely to succeed in the Emperor prevailing, it would be A) specifically because of the Emperor's claim to have already grasped the Absolute, but at this point I am very skeptical that the Emperor - rather than Man or even merely ourselves, Gullyman Rowboat - prevailing is something we actually want.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I can see where you're going with this: we will rebel against the Emperor and the Chaos Gods. Like a second Horus.
    That wasn't the point of my question. I want to know how you plan to sell this vision to the Imperium, to your commanders, to the Ecclesiarchy and, yeah, the Inquisition. Rebelling against the Imperial Truth sounds cool, yes, but how are we gonna do it?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    That's where I hope the whole "rape and revelation" bit comes in, my dude :^)

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)