Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Emperor of Nothing [40k CYOA]

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by LogOS, Feb 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    C, but I wonder if we can pick and choose the xenos.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LogOS Novice

LogOS
    You will be able to later on, yes. This choice is more to determine what is the Dark Imperium's attitude towards "non-hostile" xenos in general.

• incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Any chance of parley with orks then?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. LogOS Novice

LogOS
    sure, if You wanna surrender to them. Otherwise probably not.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Hmmm... so Ynnari, Taus and Necrons.

Of the three, I would trust the Necrons the least.

The Tau would be good allies, because their government is generally very much all on the same page, and the Tau are honestly kinda "naive". They also have a good notion that the Imperium can smash them like a bug if it ever means to. I do think they are the least useful ally, because they're very much local, small and limited to the Ultima Sector and at best, their link with that place near Calixis I don't remember right now.

The Eldar, especially the Ynnari, are pretty useful. They got Roboute back, after all. That said, they are tricky sorts who do a lot of weird shit for reasons we cannot comprehend because they can see the future. The Craftworlders were always the closest thing to "good Xenos" the Imperium ever met. The Eldar need the Imperium to be their shield against more powerful, and if the Imperium were to fall, they would go shortly after.

The Necrons are divided, but powerful. Really, really powerful. Their tech is the best tech in WH40k, bar none. The fact they're divided and still waking up is the only reason they are not in charge. Problem is, the Necrons have interest in the fleshy mortals for the same reason a farmer has interest in his cattle - livestock. They see us fleshbags as useful to do another biotransference.

We do owe the Eldar one.

For now I'm going with A, but I might decide to do B as well.

One problem, I feel, is that allying with the Eldar, the Necrons may see the Imperium as an enemy.

Did this guy just tell-it-like-it-is with a Primarch?!

BALLS OF ADAMANTIUM

When this guy is being attacked, he just thrusts his groin upwards and jerks his body down so that all the bullets ricochet off his balls.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    This is why Guardsman a best.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    A

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Sure, but let Tau in and they'd gue'vasa everyone they can get away with.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And they're total prudes. There are not a whole lot of benefits to allying with them, really.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. LogOS Novice

LogOS
    You have an almost exactly perfect evaluation of the situation, bar two things:

1) The Necrons want living beings in the galaxy, yes, but they dont need human bodies to biotransfer back into. they just need need livable habitats, their tech is more than advanced enough to create organic hosts.

2) DAoT humans are superior to necrons in Tech in this scenario.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    C.

The Eldar birthed Slaanesh, the Eye of Terror, and probably the Cicatrix Maledictum. Their every act harms the galaxy, no species has sown so much evil through their arrogance.

The Tau have committed numerous crimes against humanity, the Emperor would never deal with such abominations. Neither should Girlyman, who in the great crusade eradicated many such foul Xenos species.

The Necron are far too dangerous, their tech exceeds anything else in the galaxy. Indeed the Abominable Intelligences that sparked the rebellion of the Men of Iron and the loss of the STC's may well have been tainted by the Void Dragon of Mars. Shun these foul things lest they do humanity even more harm, the Pariah gene may already have originated from their contact with early man, no more.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What's this about no compromise? What would be compromised with the eldar depending on a or b ? Why can we not compromise with tau/necron ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. LogOS Novice

LogOS
    You can. A and B leave open the possibility for treaties/compromises with all the non-hostile Xenos races.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Jokes and memes aside, I don't think that we are in any position to decline alliances out of hand.

If we were in the thirtieth millenium when the Emperor was alive and all of the Primarchs were loyal, then taking on the Chaos Gods and the entire galaxy would have been practically possible. This is no longer the case.

If we decide to close ourselves off, then we back ourselves into a very tight corner. Fighting by itself, I think that the Imperium will be overextended and simply run out of steam. Like it or not, the solution demands both war and clever politics.

To that end, I think the Ynnari are a very good option: by lore, they are the biggest Eldar faction with the strongest avatar of Khaine and the nascent Ynnead on their side. Eldrad and Yvraine basically decided that an actual, no-more-bullshit alliance with the humans is their best bet. I see no reason to rebuke them.

Of course they're scheming, it's what Eldar do. Our job in this alliance will be to convince them that mankind is not only their best hope, but their only hope. Like I mentioned above, their commanders are pretty open to the idea of total cooperation and they already walked half of way, now we have to walk the other half.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Makes sense, but my memory was that Necrons were looking to bio-transfer into humans.

Makes sense they would want something better. Say, something immortal as their metal bodies.

Wait, what?

I don't think that makes sense. Necrons have time-travel, have killed C'tan and lock them like pokemon, not to mention they use means of FTL that do not require the warp. Never heard of DAOT having anything like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. LogOS Novice

LogOS
    We can have two discussions about this: The Lore one and the GW-make-more-models one

In the lore, there's Mechanicum Ships that can fire timeshifting black holes as bullets. I am assuming that DAoT was essentially a Culture-like civ that only perished because they lacked the knowledge of Psykerism. So yeah, they have superior tech to everybody else barring the Old Ones whom no longer exist.

Not sure this is particularly relevant, tho. Just saying DAoT are the apex of tech evolution in the galaxy. The catch is that DAoT is just that: Tech. It knows nothing very little of the warp, and knows nothing of corruption. So...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Capital, sell them eldar hosts, and sell eldar necron tech.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Necron technology was superior to the Old Ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. LogOS Novice

LogOS
    That's a debatable topic, but in 40k lore I think DAoT humans overwhelm all other factions tech-wise.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    B

The moment you take Eldar at face value, you lose.

maybe because they are space jews whose endgame is the eradication of all goyim

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This. Remember Eldar are still butthurt about corrupted humans betraying them 10 millenia ago. Imperium is not in a position to refuse an alliance with them, but trust is going too far.

B

edit: regarding daot, afaik plasma weapons are a holdover from that era (no one understands them etc, even more than bolters and such). And they still explode regularly when used. A problem that tau plasma weapons do not have. So idk how much stock to put in daot being ahead of Necrons...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    B

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Shit guys. You've had me read up on all the lore. Haven't played 40K in the last twenty+ years, so there was a gap in my knowledge.
    From where I stand now though, we'd be killing off ourselves, if we do not make allies.
    And the Eldar have resurrected the primarch. That's some olive branch right there.

A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ItsChon Erudite Patron

ItsChon
    B>A. Is there a difference between these options if we end up agreeing to the Eldar agreement after we hear their proposals? If not then we should clearly hear what they have to say first before we act.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)