Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

empires apart (age of empires clone)?

mbv123

Arbiter
Why would you play this when you can just play.... AoE 2 instead?
Does it even add anything new or it just rehashes the same formula with worse art style?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
completely asymmetrical factions sounds like a good enough reason for me

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What does "asymmetrical factions" mean?

It means they are completely different. In AoE 1 the factions are very symmetrical, sharing most buildings/units/technologies and really having nothing unique except civ bonuses. In AoE2 each faction also gets a unique unit but still shares most things. AoE 3 is more asymmetrical than 2 but still shares some units/buildings between factions. it gets more asymmetrical with the expansions where each native/azn has their own buildings and units. This game allegedly doesn't share anything between civs, all the units are supposed to be different and each faction is supposed to play differently. For example from what I've read the aztecs can enslave enemies they defeat in battle.

deama

Prophet
What does "asymmetrical factions" mean?

It means they are completely different. In AoE 1 the factions are very symmetrical, sharing most buildings/units/technologies and really having nothing unique except civ bonuses. In AoE2 each faction also gets a unique unit but still shares most things. AoE 3 is more asymmetrical than 2 but still shares some units/buildings between factions. it gets more asymmetrical with the expansions where each native/azn has their own buildings and units. This game allegedly doesn't share anything between civs, all the units are supposed to be different and each faction is supposed to play differently. For example from what I've read the aztecs can enslave enemies they defeat in battle.
Oh, I see, sounds interesting.
I assume starcraft has completely assymetrical factions by that definition too?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh.... Starcraft is somewhat asymmetrical for sure, but IMO that is largely cosmetical. Each faction has the same unit roles available at pretty much the same tiers.
Late game units are very asymmetrical and base building is quite asymmetrical as well.

No doubt it is one of the most asymmetrical RTS games, anyway. Along with Universe At War and Grey Goo (yes, both are not exactly great, but that's not the point).
Warlords Battlecry 3 is also rather asymmetrical when it comes to units (Grey Goo is the other way around).

I don't think there has been a truly asymmetrical RTS, yet. Mostly because "muh balancing!" MP shenanigans. As if making all factions of the same strength would be the only way to get a good MP going, but I digress...
Though I did not play this one - ratings deter me so far.

oscar

Arcane
I don't think there has been a truly asymmetrical RTS, yet. Mostly because "muh balancing!" MP shenanigans. As if making all factions of the same strength would be the only way to get a good MP going, but I digress...

Dominions series deals with this quite well. Players naturally gang up on the more powerful factions and underestimate the weaker ones. Of course this is harder for 1 v 1 oriented multiplayer games.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Eh.... Starcraft is somewhat asymmetrical for sure, but IMO that is largely cosmetical. Each faction has the same unit roles available at pretty much the same tiers.
Late game units are very asymmetrical and base building is quite asymmetrical as well.

No doubt it is one of the most asymmetrical RTS games, anyway. Along with Universe At War and Grey Goo (yes, both are not exactly great, but that's not the point).
Warlords Battlecry 3 is also rather asymmetrical when it comes to units (Grey Goo is the other way around).

AI War is the most asymmetrical I can think of, if you count that as RTS.

AoE 3 is more asymmetrical than 2 but still shares some units/buildings between factions. it gets more asymmetrical with the expansions where each native/azn has their own buildings and units.

Even vanilla civs in AOE III already have quite pronounced differences. Like russians having barracks and defense towers combined into same building and (with right cards) being able to produce units instantly, making a forward base with just a single barrack really powerful. Or portuguese being able to have a second town center at age II as opposed to age III for the rest of civs, meaning they can double the villager production way earlier. Or dutch with their banks and lower villager limit, meaning no need to worry about gold mines and having more room for bigger army. This is what I liked about AOE III when compared to II, taking a new civ actually freshened the game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Dominions series deals with this quite well. Players naturally gang up on the more powerful factions and underestimate the weaker ones. Of course this is harder for 1 v 1 oriented multiplayer games.
Well, yes, but this is about RTS game. Real Time Strategy ;)

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Outrageous that Dawn of War series didn't get mentioned when it comes to rts with race asymmetry, especially considering starcraft got bought up!

6 or 7 different races wasn't it? And it was considered imbalanced but fuck that, the game was fun as hell because of the variety.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
BrotherFrank to be honest, it's been so long ago, I kinda forgot how asymmetric it is (or isn't), so I didn't mention it ;)

I do remember loving to play Imperial Guard because they could just spam bunkers (and I love turtling!), and that was something only they could pull off.
And the Orcs had their WAAAGH! mechanic.
Necron also felt fairly different.

Sounds like I need to replay Soulstorm one of these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom