Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there any development regarding Vita emulation? Vita3k seems incredibly slow on progress.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Why can't i use the touchpad in the DS emulator? I'm using retroarch
Assuming you mean clicking on the bottom screen, well, Retroarch doesn't do well with mouse controls generally, sadly. You can make it work but it's a pain in the ass; try using the actual standalone version of whatever DS emu you want and it'll probably be much simpler
Just downnloaded Desmume and it actually works. Lots of options too, gonna config the PS3 controller if I can.

Oddly enough It wasn't just retroarch, openemu didn't work either.
OpenEmu and RetroArch are kissing cousins, it's rumored. Quite a bit of code-sharing going on when it comes to core implementation specifics. I've never bothered to look myself, but it's hysterical if true.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is there any development regarding Vita emulation? Vita3k seems incredibly slow on progress.
last time I checked this topic (more than year ago) there was just warnings like "any potential Vita emulator is a virus/malware/ransomware/not what you think.exe", it must be something bigger, like at least one playable game to get announcement I guess? On the other hand - there is no big game on that system for average folks to care.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Vita is a classic case of Sony once again locking down their own product so goddamned much that no one wants to buy it anymore. See also: Blu-Ray.

sullynathan

Arcane
So eh Desmume was working perfectly with my PS3 controller, then crashes and stopped detecting my controller. My computer and all the other emulators detect it but Desmume doesn't.

I tried Citra and I'm impressed. Easy install, easy config. Great performance.
I tried Ocarina of time and put it on the native resolution of my laptop (720p) and I get full framerate and speed, occasional 1 - 2 second slowdown when I'm browsing on another program while citra is open.

This is sad because I'd already played a lot of Ocarina of Time almost a year ago on Dolphin and completed most of the dungeons, but I regularly got crashes and the game runs at 20 fps, has more framerate drops on my system and looks worse than the remake .

I don't know if I should eventually just beat the original Ocarina of Time and then play the remake or just forget the original and play the remake.

I'll try other games to see how well it works when they finish downloading.

Last edited:

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
So eh Desmume was working perfectly with my PS3 controller, then crashes and stopped detecting my controller. My computer and all the other emulators detect it but Desmume doesn't.

I tried Citra and I'm impressed. Easy install, easy config. Great performance.
I tried Ocarina of time and put it on the native resolution of my laptop (720p) and I get full framerate and speed, occasional 1 - 2 second slowdown when I'm browsing on another program while citra is open.

This is sad because I'd already played a lot of Ocarina of Time almost a year ago on Dolphin and completed most of the dungeons, but I regularly got crashes and the game runs at 20 fps, has more framerate drops on my system and looks worse than the remake .

I don't know if I should eventually just beat the original Ocarina of Time and then play the remake or just forget the original and play the remake.

I'll try other games to see how well it works when they finish downloading.
Even an inferior remake of OOT is better than no OOT at all. The same cannot be said for Majora's Mask, however.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just ordered a RaspBerry Pi 3B+ (the latest one) with a 16 GB card and have a few things to ask all of you professional elite retro squad.

-How much will OS + Retropie swallow of this space ?
-By the way, Retropie or Recalbox ? I cannot seem to find a definitive answer on this.
-DS4 gamepad : works in bluetooth ?
-Sixaxis/DS3 gamepad : works in bluetooth ?
-Does PS2 emulation work ? Gamecube emulation ?
-Would it be easy to do a dualboot or something if I also want this Pi to replace my Steamlink ?

I can't answer all of these questions, but I followed these instructions and it worked for me:
https://www.arcadebuildersguild.com/443/install-retropie-raspberry-pi/

The Nintendo USB controller worked perfectly well. I haven't tried any of the others. Here is another page that talks about emulator performance, but once you get beyond 32-bit expect some problems you might have to work through. Go here and click docs, then look up the emulators individually: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/

For instance, under N64 it says:
Performance
Low screen resolution are recommended to get best performance. Performance suffers if HD resolutions are used.

RetroPie 4.0 forces a resolution of 320x240 for best performance.

For PS1:
Enhanced Graphics
lr-pcsx-rearmed has a core option to improve graphical fidelity by doubling the normal resolution, producing a sharper 3D image, however all 2D bitmaps and texture maps retain the original resolution. On a Pi 2 this introduces some slowdown and audio skipping, but on a Pi 3 it appears to work without issue. The 'speed hack' option is required for good results, but has some (sometimes game-breaking) visual glitches.

See this page for a more condensed listing of emulator performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5baYAlWZs24

https://lifehacker.com/how-emulators-perform-on-the-raspberry-pi-3-1763541020

Adafruit’s video is just a stream with a base setup of Retropie, so some of the glitches they run into are likely things that you could troubleshoot around. Regardless, the video does a good job of showing how the emulators look and perform on the new Raspberry Pi 3. If you don’t feel like watching the video, the basics are pretty straightforward: NES, Game Boy, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo 64, and Playstation all work great. They had decent luck with some PSP games, but had some sound glitches along the way. They also had trouble with emulation on Saturn games and Dreamcast games (which could just be a control setup problem), and couldn’t get Nintendo DS or Sega CD games to load at all. If you head over to YouTube, they’ve included time codes to jump to specific parts in the video for each console if you’re curious about how one system looks.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So i'm drunk and lost my last 10-15 hours of Cross Edge. 10-15 hours of grind and crafteing. Managed to rewrite two last save files. Yay, i guess...

Reinhardt

Arcane
I was aiming for bad ending for first playthrough and right before final boss decided to check all previous maps for hidden lewt. Teleport to save point, save, use search option, mark sikrits, reload, so i don't have to pay for it. Somewhere it went very wrong. So i lost ~20 levels for my party, lots of titles, materials and equipment, more than half of my money and points... Greed is your enemy, kids.
Should i start grinding again or just search for someone's else saves and start from ng+? Can i use ps3 saves in emulator?

v1rus

Arcane
Gonna sit down and play Soul Reaver.

Now, I know Dreamcast version is noticeably better, but does this still apply when its run with EMUs? The ePSXe enhances games tremendously, so, Im just wondering is it worth tinkering with another emu, Im not familiar with at all.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Digital Devil Saga's got its hooks in me as my first real foray into SMT. I doubt I'll continue straight on to 2 after this though - I'll probably give either Persona 3 or 4 a go to see that side of the series as well. Alternatively, Nocturne.

I've only had a couple noticeable but rather insignificant issues with PCSX2 so far and that is this occasional colored line appearing across the very bottom of the screen with varying colors and thickness. It barely matters, but I wonder if internal resolution affects it since mine is really high. Could tweak around with the settings if it was actually bothersome. Besides that, I do get this occasional subtle jumping effect where the image jumps up and down ever so slightly. That one seems to be caused more by closing and resuming the emulation.

I have a feeling this year will be heavy in the emulation side for me. Exploring all these classic JRPG series I haven't tried out before, and with the PS3/360/WiiU/Switch emulators making strides, I think this will be the year when a lot more emulators mature and become recommendation worthy over the consoles themselves.

The first two SMT's are easily the best. Very heavy on the biblical themes and world-shaking storylines. Devil Survivor is also not to be ignored although it's a tactics take on the franchise.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Finished Cross Edge once and have absolutely no desire to start ng+. It's not that terrible, but it's one of the most "meh" games i've ever played. Well, main characters ARE terrible.

It's marked as "ingame" in list but there was no emulation problems for me.

tet666

Augur
Finished Cross Edge once and have absolutely no desire to start ng+. It's not that terrible, but it's one of the most "meh" games i've ever played. Well, main characters ARE terrible.

It's marked as "ingame" in list but there was no emulation problems for me.

That just means no one reported it as playable so far you might as well do that since you allrdy finished it, you can report the game as playable on the rpcs3 forums in the thread for the game, i think there are some guidelines for reporting games as playable but they should be in the rules there.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Well, i only finished it for bad ending. There is 2 more and true end unlocks lot of content. So i don't know if it's COMPLETELY playable.

Started Ar Tonelico 3 because i liked first two games and have soft spot for GUST, but it has lots of visual glitches and unreadable text.

Also for some reason i can't launch "playable" Dragon's Crown - it stuck at "Now loading" screen. Tried 3 different versions.

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
Well, i only finished it for bad ending. There is 2 more and true end unlocks lot of content. So i don't know if it's COMPLETELY playable.

Started Ar Tonelico 3 because i liked first two games and have soft spot for GUST, but it has lots of visual glitches and unreadable text.

Also for some reason i can't launch "playable" Dragon's Crown - it stuck at "Now loading" screen. Tried 3 different versions.

Did you try ASMJIT Recompiler? A lot of games still hang at startup with LLVM.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Did you try ASMJIT Recompiler? A lot of games still hang at startup with LLVM.
Yes. It was checked by default.
Still, after tinkering with options i've managed to launch Dragon't Crown. Now it runs perfecly fine except for some sound stuttering.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Now, I know Dreamcast version is noticeably better, but does this still apply when its run with EMUs? The ePSXe enhances games tremendously, so, Im just wondering is it worth tinkering with another emu, Im not familiar with at all.

Since I played this recently, I'm wondering... why not just play the PC version?

sullynathan

Arcane

Since I played this recently, I'm wondering... why not just play the PC version?
Music removed, poor gamepad support, 30 fps lock, etc

Emulated Dreamcast is supposedly the best version.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Music removed, poor gamepad support, 30 fps lock, etc.
There's an unofficial patch that unlocks the FPS. Original site is down, but it can be DLed here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/my2gpvm712jqwab/sr1_patch.zip

Widescreen hack/framerate uncapper for SR1

Tos wrote: "I've made a quick hack to fix the stretch-o-vision in Soul Reaver 1 when playing in widescreen resolutions, and to allow changing the game's default framerate cap of 30 FPS to something a little less headache-inducing.

Just extract the files from archive to the game folder. You don't need to do anything other than select a widescreen resolution in the configuration dialog - it will work automatically once this is installed.

The framerate cap can be changed in the .ini file (it's set to 60 FPS by default). I wouldn't recommend setting it much higher because the game will start behaving oddly. 60 FPS works mostly normally, though I've noticed that Raziel can jump slightly higher than usual. You can also enable debug keys in the .ini to speed up game time (useful for cutscenes you've seen a million times), possess monsters or show the debug menu."

spekkio

Arcane
Just get the installer for 1.7.6 from the main site if you are a casual first-time user. :roll:

spekkio

Arcane
Quick update to OP:
  • changed main link for Retroarch from http://buildbot.libretro.com/ (no longer works + p. useless to newfags anyway):

LRoLlx7.png

what1.jpg

to: https://www.retroarch.com/?page=platforms

• added link to certfied bios packs @ EmuGenWiki:

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Emulator_Files
I'm being paid by Ninny not to include info about Yuzu censored, so don't even ask... :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom