Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Reinhardt

Arcane
Fuck emulators. I shouldn't have come here. Now i'm playing Dragon's Crown, Ar Nosurge and Class of Heroes 2G.:negative:

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
What's the point of bios packs anymore?
To use the proper one, because it is extremely bad juju otherwise. Many devs won't even take bug reports if you're using a non-standard one. The more humane ones will make testing with the One True BIOS Revision the first step in resolving your issue, essentially accomplishing the same result as the first group by more humane methods.

Puukko

Arcane
Using the double XP cheat for DDS2, my first Omoikane fight went normally but the second one gave me some 530k XP which gave my active party 30 levels or so each. :lol:
4Q5UT1l.jpg

Reloading the fight without cheats doesn't help either since you gotta use in-game saves for that.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just wanted to post a little update to my earlier rant about DS4Windows and no reliable exclusive mode. I talked to the guy who maintains it and he gave me a step-by-step tutotal on how to configure DS4Windows with HIDGuardian so exclusive mode is 100% working again. Disclaimer though: HIDGuardian will literally delete all your Windows hardware configuration registry keys if you use Total Uninstall Pro or something similar to uninstall it so be wary. If anyone not of a fainthearted persuasion wants these instructions just give a shoutout. I always loved DS4Windows - it's brilliant - but had to give it up for the much lesser (imo) InputMapper because Retroarch hated it. Now I'm back where I belong.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Just a friendly heads-up, Emulation General no longer maintains an Internet Archive account. I still say the entire wiki is on borrowed time at this point.

Puukko

Arcane
Got Citra to split the screens to allow me to use both my monitors. It doesn't support this by default, but a Reddit post had instructions for tweaking the config file to change the size and positions of the screens. I've now got the top screen on my main monitor and the bottom screen centered on my right-hand monitor. Main reason for this was that with the default options, a lot of display estate was wasted and none of the default options quite felt right. The increase in resolution is not very beneficial, the games being made for the 3DS and all.

Only issue is that I don't know how to remove the white Windows top bar so I had to account for the wasted vertical space when ensuring the aspect ratio of the top screen stayed correct, as running the emulator in fullscreen doesn't work with multiple monitors. It's only 30px or so anyway.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Citra/comments/6338sv/tutorial_running_citra_on_2_monitor_screens/

Puukko

Arcane
The increase in resolution is not very beneficial, the games being made for the 3DS and all.

This is a blatant lie. 3DS games look like they're running on brand new hardware with increased resolution.
I was comparing to the default screen arrangements, that is, it does not make a huge difference whether the top screen takes up 2/3rds or all of my primary display clarity wise. Wasn't referring to the render resolution.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ahh... well, on that topic, you do know you can edit the values yourself in the ini file, right? you can pace them anywhere you want and in any shape, in fact you can even overlay them on top of each other if you wanted to.

Although I assume that has to be what you're doing right now anyway to have them on seperate monitors. Probably the ideal setup I imagine.

Beastro

Arcane
Anyone know places to get the complete libraries of consoles like NES and Genesis rather than DL each one by one?

Got Citra to split the screens to allow me to use both my monitors. It doesn't support this by default, but a Reddit post had instructions for tweaking the config file to change the size and positions of the screens. I've now got the top screen on my main monitor and the bottom screen centered on my right-hand monitor. Main reason for this was that with the default options, a lot of display estate was wasted and none of the default options quite felt right. The increase in resolution is not very beneficial, the games being made for the 3DS and all.

Only issue is that I don't know how to remove the white Windows top bar so I had to account for the wasted vertical space when ensuring the aspect ratio of the top screen stayed correct, as running the emulator in fullscreen doesn't work with multiple monitors. It's only 30px or so anyway.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Citra/comments/6338sv/tutorial_running_citra_on_2_monitor_screens/
Have you tried casting to & controlling the emulated touchscreen window with your smartphone? That should be the ticket to perfect emulation.

You definitely gain a lot of screen real estate with a secondary screen but the main problem with 3ds emulation is that it's still unpleasant to switch from mainscreen gamepad to touchscreen mouse when you often need to use the 3ds touchscreen in some of its games. If you could set your phone right below your gamepad within reach of your thumbs it should control just like the original.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane

Have you tried casting to & controlling the emulated touchscreen window with your smartphone? That should be the ticket to perfect emulation.

You definitely gain a lot of screen real estate with a secondary screen but the main problem with 3ds emulation is that it's still unpleasant to switch from mainscreen gamepad to touchscreen mouse when you often need to use the 3ds touchscreen in some of its games. If you could set your phone right below your gamepad within reach of your thumbs it should control just like the original.
That would definitely be interesting since I just got a new phone, but I have no idea if it's possible. Time for some research.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Anyone tried Dusk Atelier series lately? Ayesha listed as ingame but reports are from 2017.

Puukko

Arcane
Man, what's up with the battle music quality in Nocturne? The rest of the audio is fine, but the battle music sounds like it was compressed into 64kbits mp3 three times over. I imagine no one has taken upon themselves the task of editing the ISO to replace the music with higher quality versions.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's actually several tracks playing simultaneously - if you were creative enough you could mute some of them or even replace some of them.
It's how people recorded these

They're all essentially little clips around 10-ish seconds long, and they get played in a seamless way via a timer (as least I assume there's no rng to it).
Due to the number of them, and I presume the computational complexity thereof, they compromised on audio quality to do this.
Especially as they also run a midi synth in the background, though that's mostly used for audio effects like healing spells taking effect.

It's pretty clever - since it lets them efficiently combine parts on the fly into much longer unique tracks that won't feel nearly as horribly repetitive as it usually does in a JRPG.

As for these clips, they probably use a raw PS2 PCM format - I forget how capable it is, but in SMT they're probably 22.5kHz clips.

You can check it for yourself in PCSX2 with async audio mixing.
In turbo/slow-mo midi audio will adjust their tempo completely; streaming audio will play normally, assuming the framerate is high enough to keep the audio buffer fed.

Puukko

Arcane
My list of 3DS games of interest for the time being only includes the SMT games which to my knowledge don't require touch input often, but I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future. I've only got a DS3 without a holder though if I did set this up for SMT, I don't think it would be worth it to use one anyway since it does add quite a bit of weight to the controller.

Puukko

Arcane
Getting Persona 5 running on RPCS3 was some hacky shit, pausing SPU threads to boost performance and remove audio stutter. Performance varies wildly, between 25 and 60fps on my i7-3770k, and there's sometimes some nasty pop-in when entering new areas where textures can take several seconds to load. I'll keep playing and see if that gets better, because it's otherwise playable and looks great. There's even a full-blown developer menu mod and fixes for portrait glitchiness at higher resolutions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom