Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
playing Mario on an emulated NES to celebrate.

hd-aspect-1473330033-giphy.gif

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
My first console was a Model 2 Genny bundled with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. But before that, the first game I ever played was Commander Keen 4 on the family PC. In the olden days of MS-DOS....

I cannot begin to describe how afraid I was of this little fuckhead:
Lick-ingame.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
My first game on a PC ever was the 1st episode of Commander Keen, damn I loved that game as a kid. Also Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion

including a very odd hack of Street Fighter 1 with Super Mario I think

It was not SF1 but SF2 hack - I mean, one 34328497 hacks of bootleg port of SF2. That one was called Mario Fighter 3, with Mario sprite ripped straight from SMB3.

I have some spots for Mortal Kombat pirates, Famiclone/NES lacked of fighting games so bootlegs filled the void. MK1 and MK2 were solid but MK3 was utter crap. It's only recently since I've found that some awesome programmers hacked that horrible MK3 rom, turning it into full fledged Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 port!

It's from 2010, I wish it were produced back then, in mid-to-late 90's.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
including a very odd hack of Street Fighter 1 with Super Mario I think

It was not SF1 but SF2 hack - I mean, one 34328497 hacks of bootleg port of SF2. That one was called Mario Fighter 3, with Mario sprite ripped straight from SMB3.

Holy shit you're right, I haven't seen that in years, but seeing it on YouTube, man that brings back memories. Was a terrible game, but still fun

hackncrazy

Savant
Emulating SMT IV. It is described as having "okay" compatibility which seems quite accurate. Battle sprites often partially turn into black boxes during some effects and Burroughs randomly speaks at 200% volume regardless of settings. Rather minor issues, and based on what I've read, 3DS audio was a nightmare to reverse engineer anyway.

Since you've mentioned, in which state is the 3ds emulation right now? Games like Fire Emblem, SMT: Strange Journey Redux and Etrian Odyssey are fully playable to the end (even if with hiccups)?

Puukko

Arcane
Emulating SMT IV. It is described as having "okay" compatibility which seems quite accurate. Battle sprites often partially turn into black boxes during some effects and Burroughs randomly speaks at 200% volume regardless of settings. Rather minor issues, and based on what I've read, 3DS audio was a nightmare to reverse engineer anyway.

Since you've mentioned, in which state is the 3ds emulation right now? Games like Fire Emblem, SMT: Strange Journey Redux and Etrian Odyssey are fully playable to the end (even if with hiccups)?
There's a compatibility list on the Citra site, I know SJR is listed as "perfect" at least. It's more likely than not that whatever you're interested in is indeed completeable, but there's still big releases like X/Y that aren't, last I checked.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
every 3ds game i've ever tried on citra, and that includes SMT 4 and SMT 4: Apocalypse, have worked absolutely flawlessly and without a single glitch or error.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
every 3ds game i've ever tried on citra, and that includes SMT 4 and SMT 4: Apocalypse, have worked absolutely flawlessly and without a single glitch or error.

My problem is I just can't play DS or 3DS games on my PC. I have no problems with emulation otherwise, but when something is designed for dual display touch screen it really shows when you try to work around it. Provided you're not playing a game where the second screen is just basic status display and touch controls can be safely ignored. Which seems to be majority of games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dual screen works even better on citra/PC than it does on an actual 3ds, because you can configure the layout of the 2 screens in any way you want, and the individual sizes of each of the screens.

you can also assign 1 screen to 1 monitor as well if you're on dual-monitor setup.

...once again EMULATORS RULE AND CONSOLES DROOL!!!11

Cromwell

Arcane
I can still not play crimson shroud on citra since it tends to freeze after rolling the dice, so thats one game that doesnt work.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ah, i have that one downloaded but i haven't tried it out. I downloaded it cos it's from the FFT/FF12/Tactics Ogre/Vagrant Story team, but I haven't gotten around to playing it or trying it out on citra.

Cromwell

Arcane
ah, i have that one downloaded but i haven't tried it out. I downloaded it cos it's from the FFT/FF12/Tactics Ogre/Vagrant Story team, but I haven't gotten around to playing it or trying it out on citra.

If you do and it works tell me what you have done. Sadly I couldnt find any solution anywhere on the net maybe not enough people want to play it afterall its not fucking pokemon.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I noticed recently FM-Towns roms are nigh non-existent. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'm annoyed i wasn't online to snag that super mario c64. That dude worked 7 years on that and nintendo shuts him down BAM!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom