Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

HansDampf

Arcane
This is pretty cool:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/you-...ouse-and-keyboard-and-better-fov/#more-128638
I still have a wiimote+ dolphinbar but i never liked playing with it and setting up m+kb for prime trilogy was a nightmare before and never really worked well.
What's the right config for this? Does it only work with the Trilogy version? I've tried it with Corruption, but the cursor is always drawn towards the bottom center of the screen.

tet666

Augur
What's the right config for this? Does it only work with the Trilogy version? I've tried it with Corruption, but the cursor is always drawn towards the bottom center of the screen.

There is a faq on their Discord and yes it only works with Trilogy.

sullynathan

Arcane
This is pretty cool:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/you-...ouse-and-keyboard-and-better-fov/#more-128638
I still have a wiimote+ dolphinbar but i never liked playing with it and setting up m+kb for prime trilogy was a nightmare before and never really worked well.
I was just gonna post it here. I'm trying it at the moment and it's great that someone went through the effort of making prime trilogy work with MK+B.

Playing it for an hour, it fits well. Plays like a late 90s to early 2000s arena shooter. Almost like this is how the game was meant to be played and it's very fluid, far more than the gamecube version with a controller and lock-on is no longer necessary, even though the controls still allow it. Even using missiles has been mapped to a separate mouse button so you no longer have to switch to it.

The only problem I have with the control config is opening up the scanner, it's terrible how it's currently configed with holding shift and then pressing a number because the game speed is too quick and doesn't stay on your choice meaning you have to time it correctly and let go just to switch.

spekkio should definitely put it in the op or under recommendations.

HansDampf

Arcane
:hmmm:

But yeah, it plays like a PC game. Trilogy runs even better in Dolphin than the GC version of Echoes.

The only problem I have with the control config is opening up the scanner, it's terrible how it's currently configed with holding shift and then pressing a number because the game speed is too quick and doesn't stay on your choice meaning you have to time it correctly and let go just to switch.
In PrimeHack Settings you can customize buttons for weapons and visors. Visor 1 should be Combat Visor, and Visor 2 the Scan Visor.
Lock-on should still be needed to defeat certain enemies/bosses.

HansDampf

Arcane
Yes. It's in the hack_config.ini in the main folder. But it's easier to change it in Dolphin under the new menu entry "PrimeHack Settings".

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Hacked version of Dolphin emulator to play RE3 (GC) in hi-res (backgrounds/videos and textures upscaled via ML algorithms):
https://www.reshdp.com/re3/
vfx_f.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
I downloaded a 100% save file to play Echoes on Hyper Mode (originally called Hard Mode) and got quickly reminded of the fact that this game is actually challenging compared to the first one, even more so with the new controls. It's a bit awkward, at first, playing this with mouse and lock-on which is required for dashing.

mogwaimon

Magister
I don't know about the other questions, but Vita can't be emulated.

That is a crazy and sad bit of information. It’s been hacked, so I guess I assumed there was an emulator out there...
It's unfortunate, but there isn't and as far as I know a legitimate emulator hasn't even begun development publicly yet.

However, if you're just interested in playing the Vita games on a TV, don't forget the Playstation TV. It's hacked same way the Vita is, basically, and you can do almost anything on it that you can on a Vita with the exception of some of the touch screen games (which is like, Uncharted and....maybe Gravity Rush?) but that can also be circumvented with a PS4 controller IIRC. Getting one of these gives you Vita and PSP software, which also works out to PS1 emulation and pretty much every other emulator the PSP supported in addition to the massive native libraries. Cheap, too, got mine for 40 bucks ages ago and I already had a DS4 from my PS4, only sticking point might be the memory card but there are ways to get around that too.

Oh and for emulators on 3DS...you should be able to get GBA running fairly well if you get a DS flashcart like the Supercard DSTWO since those will run in the console's NDS mode which had full support for GBA, IIRC, but I think the CFWs for the 3DS can't access the NDS portion of the hardware yet so oddly enough emulating the GBA on the 3DS through 3DS mode is actually worse off than using the NDS mode. Though it's been a while since I messed with my 3DS so my information might be out of date, I think they were just coming out with ways to use NDS games/software in 3DS mode when I last checked that scene out.

But for SNES/Genesis on 3DS...well, as far as I know it's still dicey. If you have a New 3DS the performance might be marginally better, but if you're stuck on old 3DS like me...well, Nintendo has never really been great with putting out conventionally powerful systems, and unless you're running early SNES games like SMW or something without SA-1/SFX the old 3DS might not be up to snuff. I'm not even sure how the N3DS performs, to be honest.

Puukko

Arcane
I remember trying out SNES emulation on the DSi once for shits and giggles.

Yeah, it was about as functional as you'd expect. Missing sprites galore.

Perkel

Arcane
Big news for 3DS emulation and all those folks wanting to play shitload of blobbers and dungeon crawlers 3ds have. Texture replacement got introduced into Citra and it seems to work pretty well. I don't think it is currently in any build but it should get into nighly very soon. This is especially good news because 3DS games seems to be perfect match for AI upscaling and you can see it working in tandem here:

ZIRTHUq.png

Oc3H4le.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
A few more things about the PrimeHack, if anyone is still interested.

You may experience mild to severe performance issues with certain graphical effects (like the portals in Echoes). Enabling the graphics hack "Store EFB copies to Texture Only" should fix this. But then you won't be able to scan anything with the Scan Visor. To save yourself the hassle of going in and out of the menus, you can go to Options -> Hotkey Settings- > Graphics, and set a key for "Toggle EFB Copies". Very convenient, because you don't need the Scan Visor all the time.

Then there is a glitch with a certain lighting effect not being emulated properly. It's mostly used in Corruption, not as much in the other games, and looks like this:
The only known way to fix this is to play the game in 480p.
rating_prosper.png

In Corruption you will also have to add a few control options for the Wiimote gimmicks.
58126561-347d5d80-7be1-11e9-8f3d-f374fb1a5f35.png

Image from github.
I'm using the arrow keys for the Tilt functions. Works fine for the Wiimote puzzles. You can test this in Samus's ship. One of the buttons on the side will bring up a calibration puzzle where you have to overlap two images by tilting the Wiimote. This should be the "worst" kind of puzzle you are going to get in the game. So if you can manage this one you should be fine.
Swing Up is also used for a Morph Ball jump.
And the Nunchuk's motion controls (in a separate tab) are needed for the Grapple Lasso. Should be Tilt Forward to throw, and Backward to pull.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Visor has been fixed in recent svn's. And there's a fix for the lightning as well, if I think it is what it is.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Edit: Ignore, didn't realize your talking about a custom dolphin version.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel how's your performance in MH4 & XX in citra? I get some annoying slowdowns

Those slowdowns are caused by cache misses as citra tries to upscale those roar and other effects when you increase resolution. and they are more severe the higher res you play, with at native being very small impact (but game looks like shit then)

Ask and you shall receive full package:

- Special build of citra which fixes those slowdowns and fixes cut-scenes for mh4. Also has really nice additioanal screen setup. To fix those weird framerate issues on loacation change just bind speed togle on citra because those are caused by synchronization when Citra takes 300-400% speed game and tries to squash it down to 100%
- Also MHGU translation patch - rip from official MHGU switch translation so perfect without Japanese dialogs like in fan translation. It contains 1.4 update and every update before that.
- All of DLC for MHXX - DLC you download on 3DS from MHXX download store they give for free which you can't get normally on citra. So all extra challenges, monsters quests, etc. Only problem: you have to replace your save file in Citra so bye bye your save. Once you start game you can replace character you have with new character and DLC will still be there. If you are mad enough you can use save transfer tools to try and get your old save but i didn't want to dabble with it as it is painful process and there aren't really a lot of people who can help you. As for MH4 i don't have save with DLC. DLC is not translated but you can easily find kiranico descriptions.
- 60FPS and remove Dithering cheats. Unlocks perfectly 60fps in MHXX and removes that vaseline with square blocks on screen you can sometimes see in dark.
- Discord focused on MHXX on Citra. Acitve sub that actually plays MHXX a lot on citra via multiplayer and shares all that fun stuff. Official MH discord hubs are shit when it comes to citra co-op.

My HD mod doesn't work on that build of citra as this is older build that does not have texture replacement in it. There is hope though that someone will just add it in just like a lot of stuff was added to build i posted.

edit: apperently chinese are making unoficial builds which means that probably very soon there will be build which fixes mh games and have texture replacement.

lol i just found by pure chance DLC for MH4U

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
- All of DLC for MHXX - DLC you download on 3DS from MHXX download store they give for free which you can't get normally on citra. So all extra challenges, monsters quests, etc. Only problem: you have to replace your save file in Citra so bye bye your save. Once you start game you can replace character you have with new character and DLC will still be there. If you are mad enough you can use save transfer tools to try and get your old save but i didn't want to dabble with it as it is painful process and there aren't really a lot of people who can help you. As for MH4 i don't have save with DLC. DLC is not translated but you can easily find kiranico descriptions.
- 60FPS and remove Dithering cheats. Unlocks perfectly 60fps in MHXX and removes that vaseline with square blocks on screen you can sometimes see in dark.
Where do you put these?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom