Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Did ryphecha die or something...? No updates of any kind since April doesn't bode well.

flyingjohn

Arcane
For anybody looking at dreamcast emulation.

Redream:
Good:
-No bios requirement
-Excellent compatibility even at the lowest polygon sort accuracy.And this is even for obscure jap shit such as eldorado gate
-Free version has almost all features of the paid one
-No plugin bullshit
-Library option
-Optimized for toasters
Bad:
-Paid version is the only one which can upscale textures
-No save states
-Doesn't support any format except the gdi/cdi
-closed source
-Polygon sort accuracy has only the lowest and highest option

Overall a great way to play dremcast games without any major hassle.
https://redream.io

Reicast become flycast in retroarch:
Good:
-Plenty of upscaling options
-Polygon sort accuracy has a middle option that works amazingly well with good performance.
-Save states
-No plugins
-Plenty of options to increase or decrease performance accuracy
-open source
-Supports all formats
Bad:
-Performance needs tinkering
-Compatibility is not at the level of redream,but not bad. I would say it can emulate 70 percent of the dreamcast library easily.

I actually prefer this to redream because of save states.You can download the core from retroarch.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane

Ocr translation in retroarch.

Now before you all get excited,this is heavily flawed and barely even works for translating basic stuff like commands.Asian languages are not possible to brute force translate.Learning barely enough Japanese to actually read commands is preferable to this.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm not sure about this, I've seen Google translate go from utterly incomprehensible to somewhat comprehensible in 50% of the cases for Japanese and other Asian languages, although I have no idea how powerful the backend is. Still, once an idea gets traction, 20 years down the line it might be crazy what is possible.

Perkel

Arcane
Google translate is good enough to have rough understanding what someone says. It works better than ATLAS.

Yeah japanese is a bitch language because like egyptians and chinese they write in fucking hieroglyphs that are open to interpretation and even native japanese have to fucking explain sometimes people what they wrote.

Honestly they didn't nuke enough japan. Maybe with several other nukes they would be smart enough to adopt standardized language instead of ancient chinese hieroglyphs.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Japan is a difficult language to translate because context is extremely important to understand what is being spoken about, moreso than in most other languages, and this is not something that is easy for machines to deal with. Chinese has a similar "problem" too.

As for their continued use of kanji (moon hieroglyphs), they are forced to rely on them because the Japanese language has a very small pool of distinct vocal sounds - around 100 in Japanese, compared to 6000 for English, so a lot of their words are homonyms (sound the same but have a different meaning) as well as homographs (spelled the same but have a different meaning). If you tried to write a sentence solely using kana nobody would be able to understand what you're trying to say.

Koreans, on the other hand, managed to successful switch over from the use of their own version of Chinese symbols to a standardized alphabet precisely because they have a larger pool of distinct sounds in use.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Japan is a difficult language to translate because context is extremely important to understand what is being spoken about, moreso than in most other languages, and this is not something that is easy for machines to deal with. Chinese has a similar "problem" too.

As for their continued use of kanji (moon hieroglyphs), they are forced to rely on them because the Japanese language has a very small pool of distinct vocal sounds - around 100 in Japanese, compared to 6000 for English, so a lot of their words are homonyms (sound the same but have a different meaning) as well as homographs (spelled the same but have a different meaning). If you tried to write a sentence solely using kana nobody would be able to understand what you're trying to say.

Koreans, on the other hand, managed to successful switch over from the use of their own version of Chinese symbols to a standardized alphabet precisely because they have a larger pool of distinct sounds in use.
Yup,that is why you are gonna get the word fortress confused with the word butt by using machine translations for asian languages.
And even worse is the fact that even if it sounds right it still might be completely wrong.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The clusterfuck is further compounded by the fact that nearly each kanji has two pronunciations, the Chinese one and the Japanese one, and the fact that some kanji are used to represent the word they were used for in China, while other ones are used to represent whatever word in Japanese sounded closest to its Chinese pronunciation, regardless of its meaning in Chinese. And these different pronunciations are both used extensively, depending if the kanji is used singularly or is part of a compound word, and there are rules to determine how and when the Chinese or Japanese pronunciation is used.

And on top of that they now have to contend with the problem that new technologies and items get introduced all the time, so they have to either play word-salad with the kanji they already have or invent completely new ones.

So, for example, a relatively modern term like railgun is written thus:

電磁投射砲 (electricity, magnet, throw, shoot, gun)

which is fairly logical, and anyone that knows the meaning of the singular kanji can deduce the meaning of the word proper, while some of the older kanji are complete chaos and you need to know that the combination of those two kanji produce a very specific meaning when put together.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Let me rephrase that.

Japanese has around 107 distinct sounds with a limited capacity of combination, while English has 44 that can be combined in many more ways, thus resulting in the 6000 number I mentioned.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
while English has 44 that can be combined in many more ways, thus resulting in the 6000 number I mentioned.

Still the same 44 sounds..so still, LOL WUT over "combining" sounds somehow makes MOAR SOUNDS.

Welcome to Language 101.

Zep--

flyingjohn

Arcane
Btw, google api requires credit card info and ztranslate has a 1000 screen limit per month.
And i can't get thing to work no matter what.
It just pauses and returns a io error.

Duraframe300

Arcane
This was totally more important than cleaning house on all your janky-ass cores.

Yes, can we please stop the feature creep and just focus on accurate, efficient emulation? I'm sure Twitch integration is right around the corner, assuming that crap isn't there already.

It is. Along with Discord, but they aren’t the only offenders there. For some reason quite a few emulators integrated Discord and activate it by default.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
It is. Along with Discord, but they aren’t the only offenders there. For some reason quite a few emulators integrated Discord and activate it by default.

Future emulators will have Discord integration in place before they have gamepad support.
Future emulators will have an initial kickstarter, all the funding for which will go to the creation of their "Social Media Presence", including a Patreon page. The various tiers on this Patreon page will actually involve the members who attained those backer rankings unwittingly coding different portions of the emulator. These portions will be e-mailed via anonymous encrypted throwaway addresses back to the "author". Bug reporting and feature requests will take place on a website kept afloat by distributed IPFS-style hosting. The pre-built binaries are downloaded via Bit-Torrent, with strict ratio requirements in place. The emulator itself includes a bitcoin miner built-in, so literally every time you fire up supa mayro bros to forget for 5 measly seconds what an unending singularity of existential meaningless horror your adult life has been, you are donating to the project. The project will be open source, but compiling it requires you to join a distributed computing cluster to finish in your lifetime. While waiting for your binary, you agree that your machine can and will be used to launch DDoS attacks against various targets chosen by the highest bidder.

:happytrollboy:

Puukko

Arcane
Discord integration lets me show off to my wannabe nerd friends what obscure shit I'm emulating today. This is how I establish myself as the cool and mysterious alpha nerd.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Until you have all the romsets you ever wanted and realize you don't have enough lifetime to play them all, not even a sizable portion of them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom