Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
for stuff like emulation and roms, USB storage would be fine. it's shitty for backups, though. the main problem is the ps2 doesn't have usb 2.0, so files read slower than they do off disc, which means much longer loadtimes, fucked up videos, and sometimes just outright failure to work.

the best option if you can swing it is putting games on a ps2 hard disk drive, if you have one. speeds up loading and everything, it's rad. if you've got the ethernet thing working though, that's also a good option and works with pretty much everything, iirc

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
if you've got the ethernet thing working though, that's also a good option and works with pretty much everything, iirc

I played about 20 minutes of King's Field IV and didn't encounter anything strange, so that's really nice. I'm testing out Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land now. I'm really happy about all of this, this has effectively replaced the shitty PS2 emulator.

No Great Name

Arcane
I'm posting this here because I thought I would share what I learned a few days ago about swapping disks for the PlayStation Beetle PSX core.

1. Create a text file with the extension .m3u. For instance:

Koudelka (USA).m3u

2. Inside that text file you must place the .cue names of every disk your game uses and save the text file. For instance:

Koudelka (USA) (Disc 1).cue
Koudelka (USA) (Disc 2).cue
Koudelka (USA) (Disc 3).cue
Koudelka (USA) (Disc 4).cue

You don't need .bin information of any kind in this text file. BUT YOU !!MUST!! HAVE THE .CUE FILES ON THE SAME FOLDER AS YOUR .m3u FILE! Otherwise RetroArch will crash when you load the .m3u file. It doesn't matter if said .cue files are bogus (i.e. you simply copypaste the first disk's .cue file and rename it), as long as you replace them with legitimate ones by the time you need to advance to that disk. It goes without saying you need to have legitimate .bin files as well in your folder when you advance through the disks.

3. Place that .m3u file on the same folder your .cue and .bin files are for that particular game.
4. Whenever you want to play, Load Content this .m3u file instead of the .cue files as you would normally do with single-disk PS1 games. It will automatically load the first disk in the series.
5. When prompted to switch disks, whether it be because you are loading a savegame that takes place in a latter disk or because you are advancing in-game to that disk:
a. Open the RetroArch menu and navigate to the game you are playing.
b. In the game's settings menu (where you can change emulation options, shaders, etc.) go to Disk Control.
c. Click on Disk Cycle Tray Status. This will open the virtual lid and Eject the current disk.
d. Set Disk Index to the corresponding disc (e.g. Disk Index 2 means Disk 2; by default it will be set to Disk Index 1 because that's the default disk the game launches)
d. Click again on Disk Cycle Tray Status. This will Close the virtual lid.
e. Close all menus and resume playing the game. Your savegame will load/you will advance to the next disk.

Hope this save's people some trouble, as I had to switch disks for Koudelka and I didn't know how, and most of the explanations I found online were very vague (for instance, they didn't say you need all .cue files).
You can also go into the retroarch.cfg file and set hotkeys for those actions too instead of fiddling with menus. For example, I have input_disk_eject_toggle set to f10 and input_disk_next to f11 so if i need to switch to disc 2, i press f10, f11, and f10 again and that's it.

Just remember that when loading the .m3u file, retroarch defaults to disc 1 at the start.

Vorark

Erudite
EDIT: Hmm read something about using OPL to play games on my PS2 from my PC. Not sure how that would work, but apparently the consensus is that is is much better than using a USB, which from what I've heard will not only work slower, but the game will also stutter and crash.

OPL is great, I used it back in the day to play God Hand, Tales of the Abyss and a couple of other games -- all ran really well. The only thing which is better is a PS2 fat + a network adapter + HDD combo.

sullynathan

Arcane
Saved states caught up to me. I've been using them in tandem with Super Metroids in built save system, but I've been wary of them. I save in game, then started the game, but wasn't sure which was the most recent save so I loaded up a previous save state and lost 30 minutes of progress. Shit. Luckily, I also quicksaved which is a separate save and I lost less time but this was a bit confusing. You can't recover progress when this happens.

Another thing, I've been experiencing frequent slow down in Super Metroid in OpenEmu. I guess this is OpenEmu's fault, but I don't want to switch to Retroarch since I'm not sure the save states or save files will work. I'll try this when I beat them game.

Recently started playing Shiren: The Wanderer for the Wii. I played a lot of the DS version and this seems to be very fun.

Shiren is a roguelike series dating back from the SNES. There's actually a lot of variety in the older games. Hopefully the Wii version holds up later.

rfseeb-4dnjv3.png

Jinn

Arcane
Has anyone here had experience running Yakuza 2 on PCSX2? I've got v1.5.0 of the emulator and everything works fine for me except 2 glaring problems.

1. There is a weird half-translucent line that runs down the center of the screen.

2. In menus there are lines running in a grid pattern with large boxes, as if the textures aren't meshing properly.

Besides that, I'd happily play it. Anyone got any insight into this?

No Great Name

Arcane
Has anyone here had experience running Yakuza 2 on PCSX2? I've got v1.5.0 of the emulator and everything works fine for me except 2 glaring problems.

1. There is a weird half-translucent line that runs down the center of the screen.

2. In menus there are lines running in a grid pattern with large boxes, as if the textures aren't meshing properly.

Besides that, I'd happily play it. Anyone got any insight into this?
I haven't played the second one myself but seems like it's a known issue here: https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Yakuza_2

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Another thing, I've been experiencing frequent slow down in Super Metroid in OpenEmu. I guess this is OpenEmu's fault, but I don't want to switch to Retroarch since I'm not sure the save states or save files will work. I'll try this when I beat them game.
Don't report a bug, whatever you do. The shithead Lead Developer will just find a way to invalidate it, and those are several hours of your life you absolutely will not get back.

No Great Name

Arcane

tet666

Augur
So any good jrpgs on ps3 i can play with current emulator?

Look here:
https://rpcs3.net/compatibility?s=1

I recommend Ni No Kuni 1 and Persona 5 if you have not played them both run pretty much perfectly now altough you need a mod to fix the portraits in Persona 5 on higher rendering resolutions.

Speaking of RPSC3 there is a new progress report: https://rpcs3.net/blog/2019/02/17/progress-report-december-2018/
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron is now playable it's one of my favourite games and i can't recommend it enough if you like trippy visuals and weird religious inspired settings give it a go.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Persona 5 is pretty rough on your computer but NNK is nicer. Some slowdown occasionally in cities but not very often, and it's one of the few games I've tried that has no issues whatsoever when playing FMVs

tet666

Augur
Persona 5 is pretty rough on your computer but NNK is nicer. Some slowdown occasionally in cities but not very often, and it's one of the few games I've tried that has no issues whatsoever when playing FMVs

Persona 5 actually got a good performance boost in recent PRs but if it still doesn't run at 30 fps for you look into thread pausing it's a hack which gives a nice performance boost without any downsides it should be at least as fast as NNK with that method on the newest PR, here is a tutorial on how to do it: https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/7nm0k4/how_i_made_persona_5_playable_on_rpcs3_audio/ (Debug Audio Stutter Fix the rest of the tutorial is not that important) it doesn't really matter which 3 of the 6 spu threads you pause i always take 3,4,5 it's pretty easy to do on the start screen so i recommend doing it there.

Jinn

Arcane
No idea then if software mode doesn't fix it for you. If you're using version 1.5, then I'm assuming it's one of the nightly releases. Maybe try downgrading to 1.4 (or update to a newer one if you're using an older nightly release)?

Ended up reverting to v1.4.0 with great success. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Perkel

Arcane
They better not try to go after emulation projects while waving that bullshit piece of paper. They'd have no legal basis, but when has that ever stopped them?

Sony was the reason why in US emulation is completely legal.

Bleem made PS1 emulator and Sony sued them.
Bleem won the case but they went under due to lawyer bills.

Puukko

Arcane
Booted up RetroArch w/ Beetle core, PPSSPP and PCSX2 this week with Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre and Digital Devil Saga in mind respectively. Not sure which one I'll stick with, but I'm in a mood to explore these JRPG series I have wanted to play for a long time, such a FF and SMT.

Naturally, none of these games were entirely problem free. TO had audio slowdown issues that I tracked down to be caused by the game being loaded from HDD. As soon as I moved it to my SSD, the issue seems to be gone.

Vagrant Story had some pretty nasty graphics issues in the intro scene that I believe I managed to fix. I applied widescreen as a test (never really intending to stick with it) and it caused some pop in issues on the sides which is to be expected. Setting dithering to 32 instead of the default 16 caused some really bad warping whenever frame buffer effects such as blur were used. Other than that, upping the resolution and applying the Z-axis fixes seemed to give good results, so I'll stick with those. Upping the resolution is the only thing that's a must for me.

PCSX2 has received unstable 1.5 versions recently so I gave those a spin, they've moved on to OpenGL as the default renderer but I have no idea if it's supposed to give better performance. There is an array of new options though. I opted to install the undub patch for DDS as the voice acting in the intro didn't really impress me.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Booted up RetroArch w/ Beetle core, PPSSPP and PCSX2 this week with Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre and Digital Devil Saga in mind respectively. Not sure which one I'll stick with, but I'm in a mood to explore these JRPG series I have wanted to play for a long time, such a FF and SMT.

Naturally, none of these games were entirely problem free. TO had audio slowdown issues that I tracked down to be caused by the game being loaded from HDD. As soon as I moved it to my SSD, the issue seems to be gone.

The problem here is that you are using Retroarch.
Retroarch is fine to use it to play nes games but it is piece of shit for anything newer than 94 because builds of those emulators are notoriously old and sometimes outright broken.

If you want to play TO which is amazing just use PPSSPP app from their site which works like charm and has almost 0 issues with about pretty much every game on psp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom