Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

hellbent

Augur
Is it the best russian fallout since Planet Alcatraz?

Maybe best since ATOM RPG? Each Fallout Russia makes seems bigger and more ambitious than the one that preceded it, like space stations and pogroms.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Atom rpg isn't that good, encounter design is just bad, forced reloads in the starting area, a 10 int, 8 Dex, 8 alertness character can't evade the law after killing a few caravans

Death squads at level 4 in the starting area, with no feasible way to avoid

An intelligent thing to do would be to make harder encounters appear the further you got away from the main city hubs, but apparently that was too hard to do for the developer, or at least have a feasible way to avoid them

noinote

Barely Literate
Can I get constructive criticism on role-playing game system?

jf8350143

Liturgist
Enter the character creation system and the first character I see is a female black lady with beard like Hulk Hogan. 10/10 game.

on a more serious note, if you could choose male body type for female characters, you should also be able to choose male portraits for female character.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Enter the character creation system and the first character I see is a female black lady with beard like Hulk Hogan. 10/10 game.

on a more serious note, if you could choose male body type for female characters, you should also be able to choose male portraits for female character.

So you cannot remove the facial?

:troll:

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ptic-rpg-could-be-the-modern-fallout-we-need/

Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG could be the modern Fallout we need

The shadow of Fallout and Fallouter still looms over RPGs despite a decade of Bethesda’s mega-blockbuster 3D sequels. Similarly, Stalker continues to inspire a remake or mod or attempted successor every other month, and it’s at the conference of these two phenomena that you’ll find Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG, which entered early access last week.

I’ve played it for much longer than I was supposed to.

It’s sort of doing both, see. A turn-based RPG with an emphasis on alternative dialogue and errand-running options, in a contained setting where factions jostle for control of an irradiated dump because it’s also full of precious scientific artifacts.

It’s both promising and a bit wobbly. The suspiciously shiny Cronus project recruits you to join its investigation of the Dome, a huge and semi-contained area of desert full of oddness and murder. They work on a caste system reminiscent of a lot of 70s sci-fi, and instead of a class you pick a caste and modify your stats and skills from there. Blues do all the mechanical stuff, Blacks run security, Silvers boss everyone around, and downtrodden Oranges clean the vending machines and refuse to trust you unless you’re one of them.

I played as a Silver, see, which gave me near universal access to the large starting base and let me pull rank in a few conversations, but most characters who weren’t bootlickers didn’t like me much. There was a bit where I got to reprimand a security guard for abusing his authority over a hapless Orange though, and with some points in the “criminal” skill you can subvert some situations and play against type. I saw lots of blanked out dialogue options for other skills and character backgrounds too, suggesting a lot of replay value.

jpg

That’s something the developers, Dark Crystal Games, are keen to emphasise: “There are no classes in the game, the player will be able to dispense attributes and learn skills at their own discretion”, says their website. They also talk a big game about how much you can play with faction relations, and based on the opening few hours I’m prepared to believe both claims.

It has a long way to go though. There are lots of un-implemented skills, outside areas are a little anaemic and prone to messing with the camera, and a frustrating start had all of about nine options getting me unavoidably killed. The solution was to turn a nearby valve to scald a man to death instead of, say, not immediately murdering the first person I saw at my new job. If I’d chosen a melee-focused character I might have had another option, to be fair. And it’s in early access, yeah? This kind of tweaking and rejigging is exactly what that’s for, and Dark Crystal have already made a few adjustments over the weekend.

Encased is on Steam Early Access at a reduced price of £21.41/€22.49/$26.99 until this Thursday. The developers estimate a full release in nine months.

I can’t say I recommend Encased wholeheartedly just yet, but I’m very optimistic about its chances. As retro-inspired RPGs go it’s definitely got the potential to stand out. Even though its trailer music is so awful I’m reluctant to link it at all. Ugh. Go on then, but maybe mute it first.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Why all this discussion on ATOM vs Encased? Can't we enjoy the fact that we've got two fantastic games in our hands, each with its own qualities? One allows playing a transgender character, the other has General Nasty. This is truly a golden era for rpg lovers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/921800/announcements/detail/1584629091406784562

EA HOTFIX II
665aeb6dbe91a96badcd98305e2f28fcfe484e54.png

Patch note for version 0.14.1001.2057.

Hello, and welcome everyone to our next set of patch notes! This will likely become our “regular column” for the next couple of months. An Early Access launch is certainly no time relax, and in addition to eliminating bugs and finalizing localization, we’re also adding some additional content that should breathe life into the trackless desert.

Thank you to all the concerned users who regularly send us bug reports about anything that spoils your immersion or gameplay, or interferes with playthrough. And yes, hello too to our torrenting friends. We’re grateful for your input, but please make sure you’re running (pirating) the most recent version. Or another option is to purchase the official game and get the latest updates automatically. :)

Fixed bugs and balance adjustments:

• Fixed the corpse blocking the passage;
  • Fixed a bug stopping the game launching in some Windows locales (in particular, the Turkish version);
  • Hunger and thirst: the rate of fatigue, thirst and hunger has been reduced;
  • Hunger and thirst: changed the parameters of food and drinks;
  • Fixed access to several groups of objects in the elevator service room and warehouse levels in Magellan;
  • Lab level: fixed pathfinding around the doctor’s office and in the ecozone;
  • Lab level: fixed newspaper header text in portable device;
  • Lab level: injured Holiday is lying on a hospital couch now;
  • Lab level: added NPC markers to the minimap;
  • Lab level: fixed radiation exposure mechanics;
  • Residential area: fixed Keith Boseman gestures;
  • Residential area: fixed a robokid repair bug when using the repair kit;
  • Residential area: fixed the Jana Zilberman dialogue logic, now you don’t need to buy anything in order to get your cut for the quest;
  • Residential area: fixed Ben Koch dialogue;
  • Administration: fixed Cheerful Jack mini-game bugs;
  • Garrison: fixed object access problems;
  • Storage: fixed reaction to attacking John Keppler;
  • Gas station: fixed status effect removal if the player decided to drink with Melville;
  • Nashville parking lot: fixed ladder functionality;
  • Barrens: fixed level exit;
  • Anomalous bog: fixed crates access;
  • Fixed triggering of the “Cain” achievement on the GOG version;
  • Fixed scanner VFX bugs;
  • Crafting: lockpicks can now be fashioned from scissors;
  • Fixed numerous localization errors;
  • Fixed “Wrestling Stance” effect;
  • Fixed ammo type display in the weapon tooltip;
  • Changed the experience reward for picking locks using the abilities “Lockpicking” and “Force”;
  • Ammo drop amounts increased;
  • Fixed bug with updating inventory weight while crafting;
  • Fixed the behavior of crafting without the workbench window;
  • Fixed behavior of the crafting items list when scrolling;
  • Fixed raw eggs weight;
  • Gas station basement: fixed crate access;
  • Nashville: fixed turrets faction (they attack the infected now);
  • Fixed getting a reputation in Black Wing if you help Ida Grace eliminate the Oranges;
  • Coffee and soda reduce fatigue;
  • Fixed triggering of the “Mary and Pierre” achievement;
  • A quest to fix a robokid is now displayed in the journal;
  • Added an option switch to lock the cursor inside the window when playing with a second monitor;
  • Fixed the translation of part of the prison vignette;
  • Fixed the start of combat when the player breaks the door to solitary confinement;
  • Fixed radiation removal when using the toilet;
  • Fixed the behavior of Codex and Reputation tab hotkeys;
  • Fixed displaying large experience values on the Character tab;
  • Fixed triggering of the “Law and order” achievement;
  • Fixed the dead birds random encounter functionality;
  • Fixed game crash when using ventilation system on the “Kaleidoscope" level;
  • Fixed the description and properties of the complex artifact in Nashville;
  • Fixed the old man random encounter functionality;
  • Fixed a bug that led to a variety of problems after loading a saved game;
  • The number of auto and quick saves increased to twenty per each

If you want to help Encased become more stable and better overall, send your bug reports through the in-game bug reporting system.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Everything I said about atom is a fact, death squads at level 4 in the starting area is bad design, what level of delusion do you have to have that forced reloads are a part of gameplay

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Yes, the game is really good. In my opinion, it's worth it to buy and play now depending on your value equation. There's a maximum of about 10hrs probably on a single playthrough if you take your time at this point. Everything is there that you want and the world is rich but it's just not finished. Around 30% of the skills aren't implemented and you can see how they would change your gameplay but damn if it ain't a seed. If it was a full game released today with the same density of activity maintained throughout it would be a top rpg of the year.

Dodo1610

Arcane
How good is the game? Can someone say without spoiling it?

At the moment you get about 5-8h of some of the best usage of skill checks and dialogue-based decision making I have seen in an RPG. The big question are whether they can keep u this level of quality and if they can build encounters that are interesting.

Last edited:

RickOmbo

Learned
Is the game about saving something\someone, or you can play as a plain greedy stalker?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Is the game about saving something\someone, or you can play as a plain greedy stalker?

The prologue doesn't really contain any story. You just get sent to a location to do your job...
But since you cannot leave the dome I think the main plot will revolve around escaping through that's speculation on my part.

Many thanks for your feedback. Right now it's the most important for us to get maximum community feedback. We already working on some problems and release hotfix update today.
Hey dear devs, kindly provide the option to entirely disable hunger/thirst etc. Babysitting surivavl meters is not fun game-play for everyone. Fallout didn't have it and it was better for it.

noinote

Barely Literate
The game's ruleset is mainly inspired by the special but it doesn't take in the account the mistakes of the special, and its sucks. Sadly :^(

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom