Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Endless Legend, fantasyland trying to fix Endless Space's flaws

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Maybe not that big a shift, but the combat in EL sure can feel clunky, and it runs into the same exact problems you see when the combat AI in Civ5 does something "stupid". Namely it's pretty easy to set up the terrain to your advantage in a lot of situations, bottleneck units, and use ranged units much more effectively than you would be able to do against a human opponent.

I'd go so far as to say it's a bigger problem at the moment in EL than in Civ5. Destroy one "army" in Civ5 on higher difficulties and it's not really a big deal, the AI can always recover and usually has more units than you do. Destroy the big army/hero in EL and that can mean steamrolling a major city, which just snowballs into defeat for the AI. The swing in power is more drastic.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally tried the Roving Clans. I put them off last since their flavor was the least interesting to me, but, as these things can turn out, they ended up being my favorite faction. These guys are just crazy. All I did was concentrate on getting Dust (and boy oh boy do these guys get Dust with the trade routes) so I can buyout everything and expand as much as my happiness let me. It was nuts how each time I'd establish a new city I could just buyout absolutely everything in one turn. Honestly, Dust trumps Production completely in this game. Dust also pays for armies and heroes so you can have a lot of those running around. I'm having a hard time thinking of reasons to pick production, other than via the buildings. Tiles that produces food, dust and research are much more valuable imo.
Also, exclusive to the Roving Clans, all the units you buy in the market have, like, double health and slightly better stats. You can end up with some truly awesome armies. For comparison my Ended units that I bought via regular means had 415 HP, and I have another Ended I got from the market who is of equal level and gear and he has 885 HP. That is a HUGE difference, and keep in mind that these Ended units are quite weak. Imagine how much more health some of the more beefier units could have.
The Roving Clans can also ban people from using the market place so there's some huge trolling potential for online play. Especially powerful against Cultists who are kind of at the mercy of the market to get strategic resources that they might lack.

The one weakness these guys have is that they can't declare wars against others, but that's less of an issue since you can just buy huge armies from the marketplace, set them as privateers and attack other players under a "neutral" flag. Sacking cities this way razes them instantly instead of capturing them, which I find to be highly beneficial due to how long it takes to assimilate the cities before you can raze them after conquering them.

All in all I felt like this was the most satisfying faction to play with and I'm sure that it is a whole lot more fun online where you can use all your tricks to mess around with people.

Multi-headed Cow

Finally tried the Roving Clans. I put them off last since their flavor was the least interesting to me, but, as these things can turn out, they ended up being my favorite faction. These guys are just crazy. All I did was concentrate on getting Dust (and boy oh boy do these guys get Dust with the trade routes) so I can buyout everything and expand as much as my happiness let me. It was nuts how each time I'd establish a new city I could just buyout absolutely everything in one turn. Honestly, Dust trumps Production completely in this game. Dust also pays for armies and heroes so you can have a lot of those running around. I'm having a hard time thinking of reasons to pick production, other than via the buildings. Tiles that produces food, dust and research are much more valuable imo.
Also, exclusive to the Roving Clans, all the units you buy in the market have, like, double health and slightly better stats. You can end up with some truly awesome armies. For comparison my Ended units that I bought via regular means had 415 HP, and I have another Ended I got from the market who is of equal level and gear and he has 885 HP. That is a HUGE difference, and keep in mind that these Ended units are quite weak. Imagine how much more health some of the more beefier units could have.
The Roving Clans can also ban people from using the market place so there's some huge trolling potential for online play. Especially powerful against Cultists who are kind of at the mercy of the market to get strategic resources that they might lack.

The one weakness these guys have is that they can't declare wars against others, but that's less of an issue since you can just buy huge armies from the marketplace, set them as privateers and attack other players under a "neutral" flag. Sacking cities this way razes them instantly instead of capturing them, which I find to be highly beneficial due to how long it takes to assimilate the cities before you can raze them after conquering them.

All in all I felt like this was the most satisfying faction to play with and I'm sure that it is a whole lot more fun online where you can use all your tricks to mess around with people.
Yup, they're super cool. They also may be the most powerful faction, since as you mentioned dust is incredibly useful. You definitely want production with some other races (Basically only two that can occasionally go full-dust are the clans and the broken lords, don't think you can realistically pull it off with any others) but even so, having enough dust on hand to rush a building or two or pop a unit when needed is super nice. All the races are pretty cool in different ways though, the cultists are another obviously weird faction, but having a war faction have a single city and snowball using the minors is a really neat wrinkle. EVERYONE'S NEAT!

Except the drakken. Poor, poor drakken. They've got the best themesong but their inability to focus on anything useful really fucks them. More influence doesn't do you much good early game when you can't throw around hundreds of influence to force peace and have to compete with people who have more production/dust/science than you. They've got good racial units but they're held back on doing crazy things with them. In fact I think they may be bugged, some of the descriptions for them mention they should get both access to one tier extra of empire plan (They do), and one free level of empire plan (They don't). If they were able to focus something into second tier empire plan for the price of first tier while in first tier tech that would help bolster 'em some early game. Then again maybe they're supposed to be weak early since they can just refuse to let anyone fight them later.
http://gameaudiofactory.bandcamp.com/track/an-ancient-wail-drakkens-theme

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Next I'm gonna go and try to play with the Ardent Mages again. Last time I didn't feel like I was playing them to their full potential and want to finally figure out how to make them tick properly.

Eyeball

Arcane
Funny, I personally consider the Mages to be the weakest faction, at least on the empire level. Having the opportunity to build a pillar buffing resource production for 10 turns for a fairly hefty fee isn't just underpowered compared to the other factions, it's also a bit of tedious micromanagement to keep renewing the buff all the time.

Do they make up for their lackluster strategic skills with good combat units and spells?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah that's what I thought so too. Having to research my totem spells, which are OK, but not nearly as good as the 9 other researches that are far more useful in whatever current era I'm at, worked more against the Mages than for the Mages, I felt. Imo they should unlock the spells for free each time they get in to a era. Then it'd be more useful.

Destroid

Arcane
[1.0.8] RELEASE NOTES

Important fixes
  • Fixed an issue where an IndexOutOfRangeException is displayed (AILayer_Encounter.UpdateSpellScoringGrid)
  • Fixed an issue where a KeyNotFoundException is displayed (AIBehaviorTreeNode_Decorator_SelectTarget.Execute)
  • Fixed an issue where the Roving Clans Setseke is unable to colonise a region
  • Fixed an issue where the AI empires have a malus on Slow and Endless speed

Wait, so their error messages for bugs have bugs? Or they are just turning off the error reporting to the player when something goes wrong?

Destroid

Arcane
I'd go so far as to say it's a bigger problem at the moment in EL than in Civ5. Destroy one "army" in Civ5 on higher difficulties and it's not really a big deal, the AI can always recover and usually has more units than you do. Destroy the big army/hero in EL and that can mean steamrolling a major city, which just snowballs into defeat for the AI. The swing in power is more drastic.

That's a general problem for all games in the genre that allow you to stack your army up big - and most entries in space 4x allow you to do that, which can lead to a single decisive battle deciding an entire war as the time to rebuilt is often considerable.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So i bought it this morning and been playing it for a bit.

Glorious graphics, UI and some unique factions and writting, but as with most unity games its tryng to fry my gfx card with overeating.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I just finished my 2nd game with Ardent Mages and went heavily into Dust again. I stand by my statement that production isn't very good and completely inferior compared to Dust, no matter what faction you are playing as. It's just faster to be able to buy everything within one turn, but you can also use Dust for so many other things such as army upkeep and buying stuff on the marketplace.

As for the Ardent Mages, it is a pretty bleah faction as I though. Their gimmick, the magic spells, are pretty useless, and without an interesting gimmick it's just a pretty straight forward faction without anything interesting going on. Their units are pretty good, though, and their 2nd tier ranged units are some of the best (if not the best) ranged units in the game, so at least they have something going on at least.

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet
Thanks to the disappointment turd which is Civilization: Beyond Earth, which brought up a lot of mentioning of Endless Legends in various forums and sites, I've given EL a go despite that I felt Endless Space to be pretty shallow. And it turns out that EL *seems* to be much superior compared to BE.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I luv little fluff descriptions on all ui "cards", like resources. Teaches me about the setting and makes me want to explore more. Visuals are nice overall, and style, very sweet. Reminds me of Age of Wonders.

Lots of details, I feel a bit overwhelmed. Seems like there is some depth to everything.

Drakron

Arcane
That's a general problem for all games in the genre that allow you to stack your army up big - and most entries in space 4x allow you to do that, which can lead to a single decisive battle deciding an entire war as the time to rebuilt is often considerable.

Thats not a problem, its a problem when the AI simply doesnt know when to throw the towel.

1UPT doesnt fix it, just further shows the problems on the AI that cannot manage armies and "doomstacks" can be avoided by simply limiting sizes, add attrition (this is why we had so many decisive battles even when the enemy force still retained considerable size) or simply concentration of force.

Look at Civ, nukes on the main game simply obliterate forces ... but its the only thing on Civ V that does that, if it had stacks they would make cannons simply deal damage to the stack ... problem mostly solve and you would have to split the army but if they did that, you would have to make a AI that could recognize stacks and how to split armies or at least know how to deal with concentration of force according and they dont, this is were 1UPT becomes a crutch leading to another issue, inability to move their unites properly,

The main problem with the rebuild is the Ai simply doesnt know when its winning or loosing, taking a city of the arse end of a nowhere will be seen as a victory despite the player already moving his amry to retake it, they simply will continue a war they have no chance of winning until the score its so bad its just a question to the player if they want to let them live or not.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Click on them in the army or hover the mouse, something like that. You can also upgrade them in the military screen like in SMAC.

So normal units don't have an inspect screen like the heroes do where you can spin the unit around? I'm trying to get to that screen for normal units so I can figure out what half of these fucking abilities do.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Click on them in the army or hover the mouse, something like that. You can also upgrade them in the military screen like in SMAC.

So normal units don't have an inspect screen like the heroes do where you can spin the unit around? I'm trying to get to that screen for normal units so I can figure out what half of these fucking abilities do.

You can see it all at army edit screen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom