Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Enemy spawn mechanics in Baldur's Gate

Wyrmlord

Arcane
That makes sense.

Though I'd guess the easiest way to prevent party members from dying and not having to reload would be to solo the game until you are level 4 and then recruit everybody? Since every party member is scaled to the level at which you first meet them?

The number of Gnolls being spawned depends on your party level, and more elite versions replace them if you're high enough.

I think that's the only variable that others in the thread haven't already nailed.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
But, with that in mind, I still didn't let Minsc die even though I was dropping him later for Valygar.
Valygar? I thought we were talking about BG1? Do you mean Kivan?
Fuck I don't remember what I mean. Was there a black person in BG1?

Uuuh...

I had Dynaheir, myself (bard), thief girl from BG, uuuh. fuck. maybe I actually did finish it with Minsc and I switched him out in BG2.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think there were any black party members in BG1. Dynaheir was kind of brown-ish, but that is all.
Out of curiosity, which thief girl do you mean?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Enemy spawn mechanics in BG1:

tumblr_lryosg9r2M1qh9g36o1_500.jpg

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The Gnoll Stronghold has some wacky spawning, yes. But it's nothing compared to Firewine Bridge. You'll never look at kobolds in the same way again. :smug:

Oh god I just got to Firewine yesterday. I am in for a treat!

Gnoll Stronghold wasn't too bad, but then again I'm playing vanilla and hardly rest. I've heard that Tutu increases the respawn rates.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Depends on which version you're playing.
Vanilla BG1? TuTu? BGT? EE?
I remember the respawning in vanilla BG1 was crazy, but much more sensible (and adjustable) using TuTu.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Drago edited after my post.
TuTu definitely had adjustable spawn rates when I used it. I don't recall respawning being a problem with TuTu.

purpleblob

Savant
Well if you are swapping out Minsc for this some random "black" person, this someone has to be a warrior class which means: Khalid, Adjantis or Shar-Teel? Unless you used Minsc as an archer, then it has to be Kivan???

I think BG thief girl = Imoen or Alora??

Wait, could be Safana or Skie??

Murk

Arcane

Uuuh...

I had Dynaheir, myself (bard), thief girl from BG, uuuh. fuck. maybe I actually did finish it with Minsc and I switched him out in BG2.

In the literal sense, it would be Viconia. ;D

Unless you mean a dude, in which case no. You're probably confusing the two games or were thrown off by the weird portraits.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I definitely remember the timed spawn rates in the Gnoll Stronghold. One time I tried creating a safe area by leaving characters behind one by one in order to minimize the fog of war and have an easier time returning from Dynaheir's pit to the stairs, but it backfired because I left a little fog of war between a couple of party members and a few gnolls spawned in the meantime.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In Vanilla BG1 saving and/or loading would also trigger respawning.
Good times!
(not really)
Yeah, this.

Well if you are swapping out Minsc for this some random "black" person, this someone has to be a warrior class which means: Khalid, Adjantis or Shar-Teel? Unless you used Minsc as an archer, then it has to be Kivan???
Or Coran, who is a superior archer, especially if you rush through the main quest to beeline to him, so he is not much fucked on HP per level.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Coran is indeed a criminally underrated character. You could pretty much dump both Kivan and Imoen for just Coran if you're running a good aligned party.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Yup. Or just get both Kivan and Coran and steamroll through 95% of encounters using bows alone. :joshsawyerwillfixit:

Norfleet

Uh, okay, and what challenges in BG1 'need' this level of powergaming?
"Need" never enters into anything. Powergaming is for its own sake. Even in games where it is completely unnecessary, you do it just for the AWESOME.

laclongquan

Arcane
But, with that in mind, I still didn't let Minsc die even though I was dropping him later for Valygar.

Uuuh...

I thought we have a black elf girl in BG1 and advance to Bg2. Black elf girl is niggeress, of course.

purpleblob

Savant

Uuuh...

I thought we have a black elf girl in BG1 and advance to Bg2. Black elf girl is niggeress, of course.

Viconia

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Nice necro you guys. BTW when I said thief-girl I meant the shitty thief found in Baldur's Gate, late in the game. Don't know which black person I was referring to. I probably made that up.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Though I'd guess the easiest way to prevent party members from dying and not having to reload would be to solo the game until you are level 4 and then recruit everybody? Since every party member is scaled to the level at which you first meet them?

Not really recommended as the hp gains from levelling when they are not in your party tend to be p. shit.

And Coran isn't criminally underrated as a character at all; he's always been popular. Though Kivan's popularity as an archer stems from his portrait, more than teh numbaz.
Plus Kivan's voice acting is cool. Grumpy chars (Kivan, Viconia, Shar-Teel etc) are OP, while the chirpy ones (Ajantis, Garrick) often suck balls. There may be some exceptions, I don't know where Tiax fits in. But Tiax rules all, so it's not really relevant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom