Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Ensure the Warriors of Diversity will live on in Eternity

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would agree that Obsidian have told us more, but they've shown us less, if that makes sense.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That one's easy, game developers are all overly-optimistic idiots. :smug:

:smug: :smug: :smug:

True. Especially with Obsidian there's reasons to question their ability to plan and budget.

Vince is wondering what happened to that sweet Steam engine that looked so appealing in ToEE and handled so much in Arcanum.

That'd be sweet. I doubt it though.

First, engine doesn't tell you much about the game (only about the tech side and the game's chances to be completed in 18 months) and the fact that Fargo is going with Unity and Obsidian with a mystery engine doesn't tell us anything at all.

You have a weird concept of something and nothing. Obsidian has been pretty vague about their plans on 2D-backgrounds 3D-models and the specific choice for engine can be pretty damn relevant, as you only just argued yourself a few posts up. It doesn't have to be. Picking between Unity and Unigine is pretty irrelevant. But it can be pretty damn relevant if we're resurrecting old Troika engines as you hope.

Second, that static display is nothing but modeling art.

Yes. How is that not way, way more than what Obsidian's shown?

Third, my point was that Obsidian told us more than Fargo did to-date. If you disagree, kindly sum up what we know about the world and mechanics. Maybe I missed something.

You may have missed the vision document, I guess? Mechanics? We know how WL2's camera will work in world and town maps. We know the combat system will emulate JA2/F:Tactics. don't really know dick about the character system for either game. We know a lot more about WL2's setting and story since we know your faction, how the game starts and moves into the second phase, how it partially takes place in the same area as WL1 and we know where the new area is (LA and surroundings) and that it's bleaker (not a ton of details because that'd be story spoilers, obv, gotta draw the line somewhere). We have pieces of concept art, descriptions and an ingame display to know what WL2 looks like, we don't have dick for Eternity.

Now, rewind a bit. You made a clearly ridiculous statement about knowing more about Eternity now. That is a patent absurdity. However, I will assume your point was that inXile has been very uncommunicative. If that's the point, I agree, and happen to only recently have mailed Fargo about that. I think they're doing a poor job talking about their game. And they need to ramp it up sooner rather than later. That doesn't make your statement any less absurd.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I wouldn't be surprised if they have left stuff for later updates so that they can keep upcoming info on the game constant.

Tigranes

Arcane
I missed this entire discussion, because I didn't read DU's post. It's a Codex drive, for $5000, for Warriors of Diversity, in Project Eternity. What do I care if DU shat on whoever and whatever?

I make my own decisions about how optimistic to be and how much money to pledge based on my own judgment of the information, not what this random dude on the internet thinks. Any intelligent Codexer will do the same, and the fundraising is for a Codex reward, not for DU, as I'm sure he would agree.

Anyway, for both Wasteland 2 and PE there are concerns of scope management and how Kickstarter will turn out. I've been less than impressed by inXile/Fargo after the Kickstarter drive (vote on saturation levels?) and for PE it's early days yet - but to me their initial efforts here are worth funding. It would have been nice to have been able to fund Troika, if only for one more game, before they kicked the bucket - even if that game didn't end up being as good as Arcanum. That's my thought.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
We know more about Obsidian's new game after the last two updates (less than a week) than we know about WL2 after 6 months.

That's bullshit. We don't even know what engine Eternity is on. We barely have one piece of concept art for Eternity while we've seen WL2 run (albeit as a static display situation). The fuck, dude.

3:28 in KS and it's not one piece of concept art. I know it was hard to miss with MCA speaking, but it is there. (missed it too, but JS told me it's there).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:lol: I think it's pretty Obvious DU didn't particularly feel like doing this fundraiser at all.

And that's exactly why you should show him that his vile trickery doesn't work and help us reach the $5000, Matt7895. ;)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
A working jew gold meter would be nice to see how far it is left to the 5k, I'm sure The Brazilian Slaughter would agree.
Yeah, I was actually going to come back from my wilderness sojourn, code a lovely system that would've automated all of that, and then start a fundraiser for the server.

Then this happened instead.

I make my own decisions about how optimistic to be and how much money to pledge based on my own judgment of the information, not what this random dude on the internet thinks. Any intelligent Codexer will do the same, and the fundraising is for a Codex reward, not for DU, as I'm sure he would agree.
Race traitor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well...we can do both. Everything over 5000 goes to the server. Don't tell people when we reach 5000 so they don't stop donating. :smug:

Stelcio

Savant
Estimated Delivery: April 2014

That gives them 19 months.
It's estimated date of delivery, so it means nothing. Actually, we should encourage Obsidian (and inXile as well) to take their time and finish the game properly despite this date. Unlike publishers, we can wait a little more, especially if this means more polish to the game.
You're a grown adult, I don't need to sell it any more than that.
The problem is not that you don't try to sell it. The problem is that you try very hard not to sell it. That's not only unfair and unprofessional. It's retarded primadonna behavior. You don't like it, so let's sabotage the effort with "edgy", "critical" post. You could make it short, emotionless "you want it, we're doing it". Instead you decided to publicly embrace your butthurt over people not agreeing with your "superior opinions" by calling them brain-dead idiots.

You know, there's a significant difference between a witty critic and a retarded whiner. There's also a difference between a "janitor" and a narcissistic child behind the control panel. FYI you're closer to the latters. Grow up to your role ffs.

:killit:

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
After i read this whole thread i`m not sure i want to donate anymore, keep up the good work at this rate no one will donate shit.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll do $50+ next Friday if it's not too late. To many crack whores bills this week and whatnot.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
First, engine doesn't tell you much about the game (only about the tech side and the game's chances to be completed in 18 months) and the fact that Fargo is going with Unity and Obsidian with a mystery engine doesn't tell us anything at all.

You have a weird concept of something and nothing. Obsidian has been pretty vague about their plans on 2D-backgrounds 3D-models and the specific choice for engine can be pretty damn relevant, as you only just argued yourself a few posts up. It doesn't have to be. Picking between Unity and Unigine is pretty irrelevant. But it can be pretty damn relevant if we're resurrecting old Troika engines as you hope.
Two options here.

A) Obsidian will go with Unity or the like, which will place them in the same boat at Fargo.
B) Obsidian will go with an existing engine, which will place them ahead of Fargo.

Neither decision will affect the mechanics and the setting details.

Edit: well, fuck me. It's Unity.

Second, that static display is nothing but modeling art.
Yes. How is that not way, way more than what Obsidian's shown?
I've never doubted that Fargo & Co will be able to model some shit and put it on a map. Similarly, I don't doubt that Obsidian will able to do the same. Thus, seeing these models doesn't tell me anything about the game as I've already knew it's isometric and had no reasons to doubt it.

I want to know about how shit works.

You may have missed the vision document, I guess?
Didn't. Told me next to nothing.

Mechanics? We know how WL2's camera will work in world and town maps.
I wouldn't call camera controls game mechanics.

We know the combat system will emulate JA2/F:Tactics.
Which aspects would it emulate? JA2's combat was "the best evar", Tactics was "ok, I suppose", so that's quite a range.

don't really know dick about the character system for either game. We know a lot more about WL2's setting and story since we know your faction, how the game starts and moves into the second phase, how it partially takes place in the same area as WL1 and we know where the new area is (LA and surroundings) and that it's bleaker (not a ton of details because that'd be story spoilers, obv, gotta draw the line somewhere).
I agree that it's not a lot of details. Bleaker means nothing, as it can mean just about anything. So, basically, what we know about the game, we know because it's a sequel to Wasteland.

Now, rewind a bit. You made a clearly ridiculous statement about knowing more about Eternity now. That is a patent absurdity. However, I will assume your point was that inXile has been very uncommunicative. If that's the point, I agree, and happen to only recently have mailed Fargo about that. I think they're doing a poor job talking about their game. And they need to ramp it up sooner rather than later. That doesn't make your statement any less absurd.
Fargo's been very uncommunicative. Considering that he promised to run everything by the community, it's kind of strange, but whatever. It's not about Fargo. So, what has been revealed by Obsidian:

- party size, set formations, ability to add custom ones, temporary party members
- character system that we allegedly know dick about: class-based, has races and sub-races, has stats, traits, skills, and talents.
- companions: tied to the conflict, can open new plot branches, create conflicts; also one per class.
- races: traditional and non-traditional (godlike and 'odd' ); different physiological factors play a role
- souls play a role - a lot of fairly detailed info that makes it easy to see how souls are integrated into the setting, the story, and gameplay.
- technology vs magic angle explained
- main quest explained
- next update: promised to talk about non-combat skills and classes.

I consider that a lot, but maybe it's just me.

Jashiin

Arcane
After i read this whole thread i`m not sure i want to donate anymore, keep up the good work at this rate no one will donate shit.
overcome_discouragement.jpg

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If they had announced that it wasn't going to be Steam-exclusive and that they're going to use Unity, thus having multi-platform support from the get go, a lot of butthurt would have been avoided. At that point, the whole stretch goal list becomes equivalent to "The more money you give us, the larger and more complex the gameworld will be.", and, again, much butthurt would have been avoided. I'm sad to finally admit that Obsidian really can not into planning.

It would be better to clarify first what the party will consist of.

I'm not donating to inflate egos of retarded codexers that don't even frequent this place anymore. It's an inside joke, that some of us will get, but who gives a shit ?Well I don't. Bee got it right :

Crooked Bee said:
I'd rather our group didn't consist of actual Codexers. It'd be way more fun if it was 6 Codexian archetypes or symbols or something, imho. Like I dunno, Papa Mole the gunslinger, etc. (I'm bad at this, but someone could probably come up with something actually good.)

Archetypes are much better because they will mean something to others, especially to RPGWatch and SA and even to Obsidian, otherwise it will be just a lame inside joke. For something like that I will donate, if not, I'd much rather increase my KS pledge than support this.

Yeah, on second thought using particular posters is silly. If anyone's in doubt, take the Unwashed Villagers encounter in FO2, which is pretty much what this is.

Unwashed Villagers fighting a spammer is a special encounter in Fallout 2. You meet bunch of Unwashed Villagers fighting a guy named Grim Reaper.
The villagers featured in the encounter are:
Buffy
Doombot
Panoply
Lerk
Ymir
Iguana Eater
Night Owl
Shadow Dancer
Amish Commando
Alexand the Killer Bee
Hatchetman
BlueCross

Behind the scenes
This is a reference to The Unwashed Village community that's more than likely the oldest Fallout community in existence. The Unwashed Villagers present in the encounter are some of the oldest and most respected members of the Unwashed Village (though the situation has changed over time). The spammer they are fighting is Volourn the Grim Reaper or Volly Grim, a legendary spammer who plagued the Interplay forum for a long time as the archnemisis of the UV.

Recognize any of those? Did you understand their descriptions? Did you remember their names after the encounter ends? Me neither.

That said, it's probably the first time I've seen DU genuinely butthurt about something. Our god bleeds! (from the anus)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But they have TC on team and they saw Fargo doing it? That should amount to something, right?

TC is not a miracle man and this engine is as new to him as to anyone else.

That said, you gotta figure Fargo going with Unity factors in hugely here. They're licensing tools to Fargo and integrating them into Unity, which in turns comes back and helps them with customizing Unity. Win-win. And both seem to have picked Unity exactly because it allows a fast smaller-scale development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom