Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic Games launches new digital game store competing Steam

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    With tens of millions of users acquired with the popularity of Fortnite, Epic launches a Steam competitor. And Tim Sweeney is the man of his words, their revenue split is 88/12 as opposed to Steam's 70/30: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ic-takes-on-steam-with-its-own-pc-games-store

• Brofist x 5
    • incline x 5
    • Informative x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • meh x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Steam Spy guy was an actual spy!:

This is a serious threat to Steam than any other previous attempts, I think.

• Funny x 30
    • incline x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Makes you wonder if Valve figured out what he was up to and cut off SteamSpy for that reason.

• Agree x 12
    • Makes you think... x 10
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    can't be assed to install 700 different videogame store clients
    if it's not on gog or steam then I'll just acquire it by other means

• Agree x 20
    • Brofist x 5
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 3
    • Deus Vult x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. mustawd. Arcane

mustawd.
    This is my attitude right now. Although, I can see them making an effort if they offer some games on discount or have a few exclusive mega hits.

But honestly, as much as I dislike pirating games, if it’s not on steam or gog I’m not gonna buy it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Competition is good. If this new platform starts running mega-discounts to compete with Steam (and with their Fortnite bux Epic can afford it), Valve will feel the pressure to do so as well. They might even (gasp) develop some games of their own again to give people a reason to use Steam.

But, let's see how it actually turns out first.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 10
    • Yes x 7
    • Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It will be interesting to see how the competition plays out when Chinese WeGame also enters the market.

• Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Interesting news, especially in regards to how the competition will react. But the clincher for me personally will be the DRM aspect. Leaving it to the developers is a nice touch, that covers Epic's ass on one front.

And LOL at SteamSpy being an actual spy.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ESh Arcane

ESh
    This is what is important, that the platform has no mandatory DRM and doesn't provides an easily implementable DRM (fuck you Steamworks).
    I can totally see this storefront getting more attention than GOG (especially with only 12% vendor tax holy shit), which means more DRM-free mainstream titles which is really fucking good for us consumers.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Alexandros Arcane

Alexandros
    Pass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    I'm ok with more competition. Hopefully it isn't half assed and actually has an impact.

Also, hopefully this brings back deep Steam sales instead of the ho-hum bullshit we've had for the past few years.

^ Top  
  12. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    And like Steam - they killed their best game (Unreal) to make something more profitable...

• Brofist x 6
    • Despair x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    All Valve has to do is release a couple of these big guns: Portal 3, L4D3, HL3, DOTA 3, TF3 or a new Counter Strike and *poof*, no one will ever hear about this new store.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 6
    • Funny x 4
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    This is retribution for failing to give us HL3.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. moraes Cipher Patron

moraes
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The proletariat demand that all those stores should be accessible from a single, standardized and open API so the consumer can shop around in them from an universal client.

• Yes x 9
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    It's certainly an interesting development but anyone can launch a digital store. Steam charges 30% for access to a bajillion paying customers, not for the store itself. While 12% is certainly very enticing for developers, but what's in it for the players? If they can't attract and keep millions of daily players, Steam has nothing to worry about.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Multi-headed Cow Learned

Multi-headed Cow
    Pretty much. Not to mention the better cut to the developers is cool for developers but that's not exactly making me want to jump ship from Steam and buy games from Epic instead. Not to mention "E-celebs will get a slice of the pie if they shill your game on Epic" isn't particularly thrilling either. Seems like they're trying to woo everyone but customers, and the game journos are trying to give it a positive spin so the customers feel good that everyone but them is getting something out of the arrangement.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  18. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Yeah, I guess, even with Epic's major advantages (the owner of Unreal Engine, existing relationships with game developers, Fortnite) over other contenders, building a viable platform would require a long-term dedication (client and community features, stability, exclusives).

Well, this answer is underwhelming: https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/04/tim-sweeney-answers-questions-about-the-new-epic-games-store

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T Arcane Patron

~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Theoretically "gives developers a better deal" might mean that they can do bigger sales than Steam. If you can get games cheaper at the Epic store that's a legitimate reason to use it over Steam. Still, color me skeptical.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    Wish them success. Competition is always good, and it's good to have an alternative for steam jewry.

Edit: I wasn't aware that chinks got their hands on this. Hard time to figure out what's worse now...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 5:40 PM
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    These are very weak advantages. Developers will gladly sell their wares on any platform that has at least 5% of the market, because 70% of something is always better than 100% of nothing. They don't need special relationships and better deals, although better deals are always nice. It's all about the players, but it would take more than stability (as that's what players expect by default) and exclusives (they can play your exclusive if they absolutely have to and then go back to Steam) to lure even 15-20% of players away from Steam and I can't guess what it might possibly be. Judging by the quote below, Epic doesn't know either:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Why should you buy GOG instead of Steam? Except no-DRM which theoretically would be the case with this too for the same games.

A reason would be to not feed only the biggest reptilian and give a chance to others.
    Normal people with a brain should jump at the opportunity to foster competition, but in the age of "no steam-no buy" imbeciles there's not much hope.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Fornite is a passing fad. There are an innumerable amount of multiplayer in the last several years that ADD kiddo's eventually get tired of an move on to the next hyped thing.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. JBro Learned

JBro
    Rev up those torrents, boys. Piracy is back on the menu.

• PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Originally, for "Good Old Games", which Steam didn't have and GOG actively pursued to find out who holds the rights etc. to get them working on their platform compatible with the new Windows version.

Curation and promotion of relevant products could possibly be one thing that Steam gets constantly wrong (although that would obviously favor certain developers before others and I don't think they're going to come begging to Iron Tower Studio). But yeah, they'd have to have an existing library of games and an existing userbase first (they're apparently counting on those "Fortnite" players to stay around).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)