Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Four days in this thread without a post by passerby? Someone check to see if he's okay!

passerby

Arcane
No one wrote anything retarded here recently and there were no news to comment on.

I was also always more interested in understanding consumerist sheeple behaviour and mindset, than in Epic itself anyway.
I also feel like I've learned and written everything there was to be written and learnt on the topic and this thread exhausted its utility for me in this regard.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, Metro Exodus is coming to Windows Store. I figure this might be the result of this game being included in Xbox Game Pass which is coming to PC.

But honestly at this point, Epic's exclusivity looks less like exclusivity and more like they paid money so games don't release on Steam, GOG and other smaller platforms are collateral damage :roll:

LqOEuOi.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So, Metro Exodus is coming to Windows Store. I figure this might be the result of this game being included in Xbox Game Pass which is coming to PC.

I don't think Xbox/Windows parity is mandatory to third-party publishers? This looks more like a conscious decision from Depp Silver(or THQN)'s part.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There are quite a few games on Epic and Uplay or Epic and Windows Store but not Steam, so I'd guess that's their priority yeah. It's not a secret Steam is the big dog they're trying to take down a peg though, so I guess it makes sense. It's funny that all they did was boost Uplay sales for stuff like The Division 2 though. Watch Epic succeed in diversifying the market but still fail to make their own store a big contender.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Over 500,000 copies. Looks like Steam ain't such a big deal after all.

Hard to really say what that means without a direct comparison to make. Seems like a lot of copies for that game though, and he says it's above their internal estimates. Borderlands 3 will be the real test though, like I said before. Steam was already big with Borderlands 2, and while it could never be exact because of waxing or waning taste for the franchise, it's the closest thing we're gonna get.

BR4ZIL

Novice

I call BS on that statement. Unless theres a shadowy number of people playing this game...somewhere.

500k sales on such a short notice for such a game would mean it is a mega one hit wonder and yet theres no real buzz for this game anywhere (no on reddit, no on any actual forum, not on twitch, not even on youtube).

I am more inclined to belive those "500k sales" require some mental gymnastics to reach, including Epic's own purchase of many copies to reach that number

Last edited:

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Is that with the EPIC guarantee of sales?
Not sure if it's relevant, iirc the deal is that the guaranteed sales are paid back first and only after that do they get revenue from purchases. So even if Epic guaranteed 500,000 sales it doesn't mean they only sold 7,374 copies.
Don't quote me on that though.

I call BS on that statement. Unless theres a shadowy number of people playing this game...somewhere.

500k sales on such a short notice for such a game would mean it is a mega one hit wonder and yet theres no real buzz for this game anywhere (no on reddit, no on any actual forum, not on twitch, not even on youtube).

I am more inclined to belive those "500k sales" require some mental gymnastics to reach, including Epic's own purchase of many copies to reach that number
I know a lot of Japanese bought it, those were the primary streams I watched, also considering how many "influencers" pushed the game it wouldn't surprise me at all if it reached that number.
As for the lack of buzz, I know Factorio sold about 1.5 million as of 12 months ago, and it doesn't get discussed that much either in the mainstream; Satisfactory selling a third of that during its launch period wouldn't surprise me, considering it is comparatively less niche and was pushed way harder. I also saw a lot of discussion on the #chans for whatever that's worth (whether they actually bought the game or not is a mystery).
That said, I wouldn't rule out any number fudging for sure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never heard of this game at all. And given Coffee Stain studios just pushes out shitty physics gimmick 'games' that isn't surprising.

BR4ZIL

Novice
Is that with the EPIC guarantee of sales?
Not sure if it's relevant, iirc the deal is that the guaranteed sales are paid back first and only after that do they get revenue from purchases. So even if Epic guaranteed 500,000 sales it doesn't mean they only sold 7,374 copies.
Don't quote me on that though.

I know a lot of Japanese bought it, those were the primary streams I watched, also considering how many "influencers" pushed the game it wouldn't surprise me at all if it reached that number.
As for the lack of buzz, I know Factorio sold about 1.5 million as of 12 months ago, and it doesn't get discussed that much either in the mainstream; Satisfactory selling a third of that during its launch period wouldn't surprise me, considering it is comparatively less niche and was pushed way harder. I also saw a lot of discussion on the #chans for whatever that's worth (whether they actually bought the game or not is a mystery).
That said, I wouldn't rule out any number fudging for sure.

Either Epic Game Store is bizarro land or as we suspect, there has been some wild sales number interpretation.

Them selling 500k means they outsold World War Z (which did 250k sales) and Metro Exodus (which did 125k) combined, considering World War Z is a competent product and has a much broader appeal (them coop FPS games!)... i really dunno whats going on.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Never heard of this game at all. And given Coffee Stain studios just pushes out shitty physics gimmick 'games' that isn't surprising.
If by that you mean they made a single Goat Simulator, then sure. They're more famous for the Sanctum series of tower defense games.

Either Epic Game Store is bizarro land or as we suspect, there has been some wild sales number interpretation.

Them selling 500k means they outsold World War Z (which did 250k sales) and Metro Exodus (which did 125k) combined, considering World War Z is a competent product and has a much broader appeal (them coop FPS games!)... i really dunno whats going on.
Outselling World War Z doesn't surprise me, as far as I can tell it the marketing and word of mouth weren't as strong at launch and the discovery on the Epic store is atrociously awful, plus Satisfactory has been out for longer; also let's not forget those numbers were announced before the $10 offer + sale, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot higher now. Outselling Metro Exodus however, does surprise me, even if Last Light did poorly and with the majority of the sales being on consoles.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's bad enough when someone is such a pompous faggot that he insists on italicizing every single computer game title mentioned in his forum posts, but MuscleSpark has taken it too far by italicizing shit that shouldn't be, like company names.

Just cut it out, man. You're not a writer, you're not an editor, and if you're an English major then you shouldn't be trying to broadcast such shameful information to all and sundry.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Mordhau sold that much in a week, Risk of Rain 2 sold 1 mil in a month (granted there was a buy one get two deal at the first few days but still), Forager stays at between 200k - 500k 1.5 months after release and that game has much less buzz than Satisfactory. This game can easily shift way more copies considering it belongs to a genre that has an incredibly huge playerbase, the fact that it managed to sell 500k proved that it's a quality game, imagine how much more it can sell with good word of mouth.

Silentstorm

Learned
Sometimes, things are more popular than they seem, they just have fans that are more quiet than a few fandoms, and it seems like Satisfactory has one such fandom, i mean, they are on a store that quite a few people hate, so even if part of the sales only happened because of Epic's big sale, that is still impressive.

Completely forgot about that game though, but that's mostly because i am not that big into games like Satisfactory rather than me being against Epic, sorry, just not that big into survival games, and even less first-person ones with anything resembling crafting, even Minecraft is a game i ended up playing very little of.

It's certainly not the timed exclusive i care about the most, and speaking of caring, how many copies did Metro sell, or Hades, or Shakedown:Hawaii?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like that this news has generated both "no way it sold that much they're lying" conspiracy theories AND "it should have sold more considering its genre" responses.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
It's bad enough when someone is such a pompous faggot that he insists on italicizing every single computer game title mentioned in his forum posts, but MuscleSpark has taken it too far by italicizing shit that shouldn't be, like company names.

Just cut it out, man. You're not a writer, you're not an editor, and if you're an English major then you shouldn't be trying to broadcast such shameful information to all and sundry.
I only did it for the purpose of legibility, but now I might start doing it to annoy people. :lol:

BR4ZIL

Novice
I like that this news has generated both "no way it sold that much they're lying" conspiracy theories AND "it should have sold more considering its genre" responses.

Well... its not like you can take any official news channels at face value nowadays (or ever, really).

And since all the sites that do metrics point out to the game not doing that well, it is suprising that apparently there are legit reasons for the game to sell that much.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I only did it for the purpose of legibility, but now I might start doing it to annoy people. :lol:

They're perfectly legible without any additional formatting. This is an Internet forum, not a formal document.

I have no doubt you'll carry on doing it. I learned long ago that you can't stop people from being insufferable faggots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom