Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Reinhardt

Arcane
It is interesting how they are taking all the garbage games. Outside of metro i don't remember a single good game,and even metro was meh compared to the second one.
So you finally agree Operencia is shit?
Nah,it is pretty good blobber! It is not amazing,but it is still fun. Also why are you so butthurt? You didn't even play the game,larper.
So good so you already forgot it exists?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Epic racing to the bottom, once they are there - ' lets continue further and see what happens'

Paul_cz

Arcane
That's basically every game that is a timed exclusive on the Epic store.
Honestly, that is probably the main reason why I am not even mad about the exclusivity nonsense anymore.
Like, I wanted to buy Control day one, but now I will get it year later with patches and all DLCs included and enjoy it more.

Silentstorm

Learned
Now that you mention it, it does feel like quite a few timed exclusives are basically Early Acess titles and the ones that aren't, tend to be the kind of games that will have patches and DLC's making the game better.

But, considering how popular many games are in Early Acess, i don't think many people care if a game is over or not as long as the game is fun.

V_K

Arcane
That's basically every game that is a timed exclusive on the Epic store.
Honestly, that is probably the main reason why I am not even mad about the exclusivity nonsense anymore.
Like, I wanted to buy Control day one, but now I will get it year later with patches and all DLCs included and enjoy it more.
I'm actually ok with exclusives for games that started as such, it's the snatching of kickstarter projects and the games that were originally announced as coming to other platforms that I find grossly unethical.
That said, I've yet to see an Epic exclusive that'd pique my interest enough to be mad about it. I'm just here for the perpetual trainwreck that is Epic's PR and it never ceases to deliver.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That said, I've yet to see an Epic exclusive that'd pique my interest enough to be mad about it.

I think Metro 3 is the only one big enough to really make a dent so far. There are others which are supposed to be great games like Outer Wilds, but I just don't think they have the cultural cache to push someone mad about using another client to give in. Borderlands 3 is a massive one though. You might not be that into it, I'm not that into it, but it's a huge release that a lot of people are going to want to play with their friends and not wait on. I think Epic would be smarter to focus on a handful of games like that rather than a slew of more niche games, but what do I know.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I'm actually ok with exclusives for games that started as such, it's the snatching of kickstarter projects and the games that were originally announced as coming to other platforms that I find grossly unethical.
That said, I've yet to see an Epic exclusive that'd pique my interest enough to be mad about it. I'm just here for the perpetual trainwreck that is Epic's PR and it never ceases to deliver.
I mean yeah I find it gross and unethical too - especially crowdfunded stuff - just in practical terms, I find it hard to care when these days I usually wait for patches and DLCs anyway.

going to want to play with their friends
That's an interesting point, actually. I wonder if Borderlands 3 is going to be a misery to play multiplayer since, presumably, people will have to make Gearbox accounts to play it if it's going to have cross platform support between Epic and Steam. And if it isn't, then that's bad since it's going to split the playerbase. Steamworks does tend to make shit a lot easier to deal with for multiplayer (Usually just right clicking your buddy in chat/friends list and joining his game) but they probably won't be using Steamworks at all or nowhere near as heavily for Borderlands 3 because they'll be selling on Epic. Wonder if that'll really have an impact on how smoothly multiplayer works for it. I'd assume it would have to.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
going to want to play with their friends
That's an interesting point, actually. I wonder if Borderlands 3 is going to be a misery to play multiplayer since, presumably, people will have to make Gearbox accounts to play it if it's going to have cross platform support between Epic and Steam. And if it isn't, then that's bad since it's going to split the playerbase. Steamworks does tend to make shit a lot easier to deal with for multiplayer (Usually just right clicking your buddy in chat/friends list and joining his game) but they probably won't be using Steamworks at all or nowhere near as heavily for Borderlands 3 because they'll be selling on Epic. Wonder if that'll really have an impact on how smoothly multiplayer works for it. I'd assume it would have to.
It will be shitshow for certainty.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It's going to be a real test for Epic. Whatever they do if it's a total clusterfuck at launch, which could easily happen, it's going to make Epic's PR troubles even worse and convince a lot of non-die-hards to wait for the Steam version. If it works fine and a lot of people are playing, like World War Z supposedly is, then I would guess a lot of people will give in because it's a big game and their friends will be playing and all that jazz. Also like I keep saying 2k has direct comparisons they can make with Borderlands 2's Steam launch. So it will be a huge moment for the Epic store for sure, either for better or worse.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They took my Tetris.
I am incensed.
I'm going to sail the caribbean seas on this one.
Also, ratio of likes to dislikes on the youtube trailer is hilarious.

Tetris is probably one of a handful of games with hundreds of different versions of it out there.

There's no need to YARR for this one, just find one of the other ones and have a blast with that instead.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh, you mean this?

fc346a65fe123812badb21bb5313b463.jpg

Naraya

Arcane
Tetris is probably one of a handful of games with hundreds of different versions of it out there.

There's no need to YARR for this one, just find one of the other ones and have a blast with that instead.

Oh I know, personally I found Nullpomino a few years back - it's awesome and I play it a lot, but Tetris Effect has great audiovisuals, it's a tetris experience on another level. I don't have (and never had) a console and I refuse to buy things on Steam/Epic store because reasons. I'll buy it instantly if/when it get on GOG (read: probably never).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would assume Epic pays the developers some discounted amount for every "free game" redeemed. So if you really want to stick it to them, I'd get on there and redeem every free game they offer but never transition to paying them for anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom