Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Naraya

Arcane
In case anyone wants to know, Tetris Effect port for PC is absolutely amazing. It's THE best Tetris game you can get, simple as that.

Also, it might be just me but I find it completely mesmerizing to watch highly skilled people playing Tetris. I'm quite good at it myself but this level is simply stellar (btw, this is not cheating, I watch this guy's stream quite often and he's a machine):

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In case anyone wants to know, Tetris Effect port for PC is absolutely amazing. It's THE best Tetris game you can get, simple as that.

Also, it might be just me but I find it completely mesmerizing to watch highly skilled people playing Tetris. I'm quite good at it myself but this level is simply stellar (btw, this is not cheating, I watch this guy's stream quite often and he's a machine):

Offtopic: FYI Only the TwitchPulse link works in your signature.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It's a really good game, my wife is enjoying it a lot too. If you're not allergic to new clients I highly recommend it, and even made a thread about it on here. P.S. It is DRM free and launches without the Epic client running.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Moral and industry implications aside, I learned Epic client is an asshole in a new way yesterday.

I reintalled my OS but kept my game files etc. on my hard drive.

Start The Sinking City
"Please start game through Epic Games client"
Fine. Epic > The Sinking City
"Game is not installed"
Ugh, fine. Install game in same folder so it will see the files are there and just go.
"Can only install to empty directory"
.......... delete all files and redownload everything. FU EGS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah the client ain't great, that's for sure. They need to improve it a LOT quicker than they are too, if they want all the people they're roping in with these exclusives to not spread a lot of negativity online about it. Kind of baffles me they're taking such a "whatever" track with it.

So far every game I've played on there didn't even require the client to launch though, so it's had minimal impact.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Moral and industry implications aside, I learned Epic client is an asshole in a new way yesterday.

I reintalled my OS but kept my game files etc. on my hard drive.

Start The Sinking City
"Please start game through Epic Games client"
Fine. Epic > The Sinking City
"Game is not installed"
Ugh, fine. Install game in same folder so it will see the files are there and just go.
"Can only install to empty directory"
.......... delete all files and redownload everything. FU EGS.
Just pirate it nigga,it is faster and easier lol

Ringhausen

Augur
Curiously, on the topic of pirating games as "try before buy", I've done this for Witcher 3, theHunter Call of the Wild, Dishonored 2, Resident Evil 7, WRC racing titles, as well as a bunch of smaller titles, buying all of them within a day from pirating to try. I give a pirated game 30 minutes, after which I either delete it or buy it.

There's zero wrong with doing this and I salute you. I just think a ton of people act like they do this but then buy very little. Impossible to really say what the percentages are though.
All the people that buy games but don't play them offset the pirates who play but don't pay. The universe is in equilibrium.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Think I just read about the most douche devs with EPIC™ $$$money$$$ so far:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/cl3yoc/the_developers_behind_ooblets_are_a_textbook/

PVact3a.png

gEQnFTD.png

ZUuEkLz.png

ReMCgsS.png

slzqH3t.png

n9cWzN2.png

jCbZQgw.png

xoEc65R.png

WLWmijw.png

Life is unfair, so these assholes will probably be set for a very long time. But hopefully this attitude will one day come around and bite them in their asses hard.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah the client ain't great, that's for sure. They need to improve it a LOT quicker than they are too, if they want all the people they're roping in with these exclusives to not spread a lot of negativity online about it. Kind of baffles me they're taking such a "whatever" track with it.

So far every game I've played on there didn't even require the client to launch though, so it's had minimal impact.

True, most games I have on EGS don't need the client, at least they got that one thing right. And yeah, I was willing to cut them some slack when they announced the road map but for the richest dev in the industry it's coming up very slowly. They only got cloud saves last week or so, they still don't have achievements, wish list, dev announcements or even a fucking shopping cart. How hard is to implement a shopping cart? They also need to come up with their version of Steam Workshop stat, if they wanna have a chance against Steam. In this day and age simple and convenient mod management is a must.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Saw all that last night and had to laugh.

There seems to be a position coalescing around EGS by the usual suspects that it’s great, mostly because 90% of PC gamers hate it, and anything 90% of gamers hate must be good for the business.

I think some of these people are a bit sentimental about the indie games environment of 2009-2014 where the typical mainstream blogger could hype up their roommate’s game about solving lesbian mysteries just by writing a series of posts and pretending it is the next big thing. Valve would read that as hype (or Project Greenlight would succeed) and let it sell on their store and your choice as consumer was either that or Call of Duty and everyone was happy.

Somewhere along the way Valve opened up user ratings and refunds and then eventually let you buy anime virtual reality sex simulators and suddenly the typical indie developer who kinda hates anyone who doesn’t have a twitter account with a blue check mark can’t make money on Steam any more. This EGS shit is perfect for them, since they get to make money and literally do not have to appeal to a single purchaser to do it. Note how everyone is parroting the point that it’s good for the industry because it provides financial stability to assholes like this developer here who disdain the market.

In reality, this is creating a classic perverse incentive - imagine buying a sandwich that isn’t even cooked properly and is missing ingredients and then being told by the shop that they don’t care if you like it or not because their profit has already been guaranteed by a third party. By propping up a developer no matter what EGS are incentivizing delivering products that are otherwise uncompetitive. Asshole developers and bloggers love it because telling them they can make money and be unappealing fuckwits at the same time is essentially like winning the unappealing fuckwit lottery, even though it’s decidedly not all that great for anybody else.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think some of these people are a bit sentimental about the indie games environment of 2009-2014 where the typical mainstream blogger could hype up their roommate’s game about solving lesbian mysteries just by writing a series of posts and pretending it is the next big thing. Valve would read that as hype (or Project Greenlight would succeed) and let it sell on their store and your choice as consumer was either that or Call of Duty and everyone was happy.

Somewhere along the way Valve opened up user ratings and refunds and then eventually let you buy anime virtual reality sex simulators and suddenly the typical indie developer who kinda hates anyone who doesn’t have a twitter account with a blue check mark can’t make money on Steam any more. This EGS shit is perfect for them, since they get to make money and literally do not have to appeal to a single purchaser to do it. Note how everyone is parroting the point that it’s good for the industry because it provides financial stability to assholes like this developer here who disdain the market.

I think the truly funny part is they did it to themselves. Turns out opening the floodgates for everyone to publish their games on your store is as bad as treating it akin to a walled-off garden where only the privileged few can put their products on. This simply took a while to sink in for your "danger hair indie dev" because they had zero foresight at the time and now they find themselves between the rock and a hard place - they're nobodies lost in the shuffle on Steam while other stores won't take them in because they're not notable enough or because they follow their own alien process like GOG does at times.

Basically, real ramifications and fallout of selling out to EGS are still a year away. Will customers at large just forget about everything or hold a grudge?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Basically, real ramifications and fallout of selling out to EGS are still a year away. Will customers at large just forget about everything or hold a grudge?

Youngfags are too youngfaggy to know anything but when Steam started locking single-player games behind their shitty launcher 15 years ago the outrage was WAY stormier than the current one over EGS. People threatened to sue Valve and sent complaints to the FTC. And that was fucking 2003 when the pinnacle of social media was Slashdot. If Valve pulled that shit today, the rage would literally shatter the internet into atoms and Gaben would turn into Forrest Gump, eternally running from armies of angry gamers. Instead, gamer armies today defend Valve with more zealotry than Muslims defending the Ummah.

So, anyone still remembers the outrage over Half-Life 2? Thought so. Epic has just one job - add more features to EGS. In a few years, nobody will remember shit.

Plus all that jazz will be irrelevant anyways because shit like launchers, DRM and even gaming hardware will be rendered obsolete with direct streaming.

Reinhardt

Arcane
If Valve pulled that shit today, the rage would literally shatter the internet into atoms and Gaben would turn into Forrest Gump, eternally running from armies of angry gamers.
So you are starting another lap? Nigga, every big corp now made their own shop for their own games, like valve back in the days. Keywords are still THEIR OWN. Epic don't make their own games, they just steal whatever looks good. We are talking about it for 100+ pages.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The weasel thinks gaming is some kind of charity for indies.

Also the trend of shitting on your audience continues unabated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom