Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Black Angel

Arcane
It's thanks to KFC that I can't find a homemade small franchise buttermilk fried chicken near where I live. God I HATE KFCs.
You don't have Hisana/Sabana near where you live?!
Nope, :negative:

Ate there a few time with friends, but I don't really like their fried chicken so I don't miss theirs.

The roasted chicken joint Bosgil is pretty nice btw. Similar prices to those small joint fried chickens, and being roasted, they're not oily, which is a problem most cheap fried chicken franchise have.

But, of course, same with Sabana, I can't find one near where I live.
Ah yeah, both Hisana and Sabana's are oily the last time I ate theirs. If I have to go to a local small joint fried chickens, I got to Tiptop's second floor cafe instead. Kinda risky because there was one time their chicken were uncooked, though.

Anyway, thanks for the (unintended) recommendation of Bosgil. Gonna try it someday.
So if steam is a monopoly, does that mean Origin, Blizzard, Ubisoft, GOG and Bethesda don't sell games?
Games like Das Geisterschiff are available only on Steam, which means checkmate, Steamtard!!!1!!!1111!!!!

Codex Year of the Donut
Now ask him the same question, but with Epic. Probably gonna be something along this line:
ZUsI57b.png
I blame the inability to differentiate a monopoly from a market leader on the lack of economics taught in US public education.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Second, not everyone is winning. Not even close. We've already established that the consumer is not winning anything here (as it makes little to no difference to him how large a cut the dev is getting) so that leaves the devs and the publisher. What the devs are getting is being paid for pissing in their own pants: It'll make them feel warm and comfy at first, but all-too-soon that changes into a catastrophe as the warmth fades, the wetness seeps everywhere and the smell spreads. Which not only leaves them looking and feeling silly, but smelling bad on top of everything. The devs haven't felt the full force of them pissing their own pants yet, but that day will come.

That leaves the publisher as the only one winning here - using a client bereft of the most basic of features (like some of the basics needed to run an online store), being able to get away with delaying 'improvements' to the client, and raking in the dough off the one megahit title on the client, as well as all the information mined from its users. That is not an improvement to the Steam monopoly situation in any way, and even the client's upcoming changes (currently TBA) won't change that. EGS could have challenged Steam's position if it actually offered something better to the consumer than Steam already does. So far that "something" is absolutely nothing, and we're how far out from the launch of EGS? There is currently no reason to even consider EGS unless you play Fortnite, and like every other fad it will eventually fade away and die.

(Also it's 30%, not 20%.)

So I may be asking the world of you here, but either you shut the fuck up, or come into the discussion with new material. We're tired of hearing the same schlock over and over.
  1. The dev getting a larger cut has the potential to benefit the consumer in the long term, as the games get better and the dev has a brighter future ahead of them.
  2. The devs wouldn't be pissing their own pants if "consumers" didn't behave like absolute retards, screeching at the dev for trying to make better for themselves.
  3. But most importantly: you are actually wrong. The dev does benefit from the Epic deal. Believe it or not, the hate against Epic is vastly overrated.
Overall, the developer sells a product and the consumer buys it willingly. It only takes consumers to behave like assholes (i.e. "acting on their best interest", which for some reason is fine if you are a consumer, but if you are a dev you are the Devil in disguise) to force anything on devs.
  1. Games are $60? Boycott the game, and devs will be forced to bring the prices down.
  2. Features you don't like? Boycott the game, and devs will be forced to change them.
  3. The game has too many colors? Boycott the game, and devs will be forced to tone them down.
But you can't pretend like consumers being assholes is a legitimate argument as to how the dev is wrong. In this case, consumers being assholes doesn't explain how a dev is wrong for making a deal with Epic. No one forces you to buy a game. And you aren't entitled to pirate it just because you don't like Epic either.

Ironically, people care too much about Steam's features (let's be honest, the whole "TENCENT!!!" argument is absolute bollocks) and yet they are perfectly happy with pirating a game (any game) even if that means there are no Steam features whatsoever.

EDIT:

The irony of people replying with the NPC emoji because they can't think of anything themselves.

PrettyDeadman

Wat the different between monopolist who owns 70% of market and market leader who owns 70% of market?

V_K

Arcane
Overall, the developer sells a product and the consumer buys it willingly. It only takes consumers to behave like assholes (i.e. "acting on their best interest", which for some reason is fine if you are a consumer, but if you are a dev you are the Devil in disguise) to force anything on devs.
  1. Games are $60? Boycott the game, and devs will be forced to bring the prices down.
  2. Features you don't like? Boycott the game, and devs will be forced to change them.
  3. The game has too many colors? Boycott the game, and devs will be forced to tone them down.
Since when does "not buying a game you don't like" equal "acting like an asshole"? :retarded:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Since when does "not buying a game you don't like" equal "acting like an asshole"? :retarded:

My comparison shows how people treat consumers and developers different. When one acts in their best interest, they are assholes. But if you decide to not purchase a game, you are not an asshole somehow. Either you agree no one is an asshole, or everyone is.

V_K

Arcane
Devs aren't acting like assholes when they take Epic's deal. They are, however, when they do that after having promised to release the game on other platforms. And especially when, having done that, they shit on disappointed kickstarter or patreon backers the way Gollop and Shenmue and Ooblets folks did.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
He has no agenda outside of trolling.

Nooooooo, why would you think I have no agenda? How can you believe I am so horrible as to not push people into using one client over another.

Feel The Edge has been praying Steam dies for almost a decade now

And I still hope it does, together with all this shit. I have no interest if any of your "modern" games and there's even some hope now that maybe streaming games will be viable. Just out of spite, I hope it catches Steam and the likes with their pants down and they go down in a big fire.

Pretty sure his computer is like eight years old, too, so none of this is relevant since he can't play anything even remotely modern.

Yeah, lol at trying to mock me for not being able to play modern games. Because I totally really care about that garbage, I'm just so poor I can't afford it. :(
Fuck off, sheeple popamoler. The games you play are shit and you are shit for not only using, but loving Steam.

Case 1: "Sorry, sir, the rare brand of whiskey you want is only available in the store across the town, nobody else stocks it. You will have to go there if you want it."
Case 2: "Sorry, sir, Don Sweeno controls the whiskey market in this town and will break my legs if I sell you this brand. You will have to go to his store across town if you want it."
Totally the same thing. After all, I will need to go to the store across the town in either case, right?

Actually yeah, it's really the same thing. And in fact, cretin, your analogy is retarded and intentionally misleading.
In both cases it's a rare brand of whiskey. One available from one store, another from the other store. Literally no difference for the buyer.

Epic is not controlling any game market, braindead cretin. It has some exclusives, that's it. Timed exclusives at that. If there's anyone that controls the market and did so for a long time is Steam. When it's essentially necessary to be on Steam to have any chance of making any money, that means it controls the market.

So, tell me, why do I have to use the Steam client to play certain games?

Because GoG is curated and rejects some games.
Because AAA publishers like their DRM and therefore don't go on GoG (but in the case of AAA publishers, they tend to have their own storefront anyway: Origin, Uplay, etc).
Because Steam is an open platform that allows every developer, no matter how small he is and how shit his game is, to drop his game on it, and it's much easier than setting up your own website, paying for hosting costs, and trying to advertise it.

Cool story, bro, but I still have to use the Steam client (or A client) and I don't want to.
Am I allowed to refuse to buy games on Steam or does that make me a race traitor since Steam equals PC gaming?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Devs aren't acting like assholes when they take Epic's deal. They are, however, when they do that after having promised to release the game on other platforms. And especially when, having done that, they shit on disappointed kickstarter or patreon backers the way Gollop and Shenmue and Ooblets folks did.

I don't know about Shenmue, but the Ooblets dev team's patreon tiers never made any mention of releasing the game on Steam or owing a copy to their backers.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Cool story, bro, but I still have to use the Steam client (or A client) and I don't want to.
Am I allowed to refuse to buy games on Steam or does that make me a race traitor since Steam equals PC gaming?

I never thought I would say this, but you and me think exactly alike on this.
We are not supposed to shit on Steam because they offer "a great service". But I just don't want to use a fucking launcher to play games. I don't need a fucking launcher to play games, just let me double click my game shortcut and get on with it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I mean you can just
a) not play games that are only avialable on Steam
b) pirate games that are only available on Steam
c) buy from GoG which come with DRM-free installers if the game is on there
d) buy from itch.io which also come with DRM-free installers if the game is on there
e) buy from the dev's own website if he offers his game for sale there

Which are all viable options for some games because Steam is by no means a "monopoly".

Black Angel

Arcane

I never thought I would say this, but you and me think exactly alike on this.
We are not supposed to shit on Steam because they offer "a great service". But I just don't want to use a fucking launcher to play games. I don't need a fucking launcher to play games, just let me double click my game shortcut and get on with it.
Literally zero in this thread ever said or implied this, but it seems your skull is too thick to get that through to you.

I know it's redundant at this point, but for the sake of it: none of us ever said Steam is exempt from criticism because they offer great services. Instead, Epic cucks insist that Epic's shenanigans are fine and dandy because Steam did it fucking 15 years ago.

Or because Steam is monopoly, which hasn't been fucking proven or elaborated on properly.

Or because Steam also has 'exclusive', when there are fucking none.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The closest thing to a steam 'exclusive' is a dev team using the steamworks API, but there are plenty of games these days that make use of steamworks features on steam and still have a separate release on services like GOG.

Black Angel

Arcane
The closest thing to a steam 'exclusive' is a dev team using the steamworks API,
And that isn't a matter of 'exclusivity', but a matter of DRM. If, for example, a physical copy of a game you bought somehow needed Steam to install, that doesn't mean it's Steam 'exclusive', but that it utilized Steam DRM.

But all this doesn't matter for the Epic cucks, and anybody who argue by those facts are Steamtards, I guess.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Literally zero in this thread ever said or implied this, but it seems your skull is too thick to get that through to you.

I know it's redundant at this point, but for the sake of it: none of us ever said Steam is exempt from criticism because they offer great services. Instead, Epic cucks insist that Epic's shenanigans are fine and dandy because Steam did it fucking 15 years ago.

Literally never ever said or implied this, but it seems your skull is too thick to get that through to you.

Black Angel

Arcane

Literally never ever said or implied this, but it seems your skull is too thick to get that through to you.
You must be blind or really fucking retarded to not see literally every Epic cucks in this thread keep touting things that happened 15 years ago when Steam first started as a storefront.

Mustawd

Epic cucks in this thread keep touting things that happened 15 years ago when Steam first started as a storefront.

I didn't, though.

If you don't like Epic, don't buy from their store. That doesn't entitle you to pirate the game, though.

Entitle? Dude, all that matters is: CAN I pirate it? Do I WANT to pirate it?

If the answer to both is YES then guess what? It’s gonna be pirated.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom