Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah, lol at trying to mock me for not being able to play modern games. Because I totally really care about that garbage, I'm just so poor I can't afford it. :(
Fuck off, sheeple popamoler. The games you play are shit and you are shit for not only using, but loving Steam.
Notice Feel The Edge does not deny being poor.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Entitle? Dude, all that matters is: CAN I pirate it? Do I WANT to pirate it?

If the answer to both is YES then guess what? It’s gonna be pirated.

It doesn't matter. My point is that no matter how shit Epic may be, you aren't justified in pirating their games.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
  1. The dev getting a larger cut has the potential to benefit the consumer in the long term, as the games get better and the dev has a brighter future ahead of them.
  2. The devs wouldn't be pissing their own pants if "consumers" didn't behave like absolute retards, screeching at the dev for trying to make better for themselves.
  3. But most importantly: you are actually wrong. The dev does benefit from the Epic deal. Believe it or not, the hate against Epic is vastly overrated.
Overall, the developer sells a product and the consumer buys it willingly. It only takes consumers to behave like assholes (i.e. "acting on their best interest", which for some reason is fine if you are a consumer, but if you are a dev you are the Devil in disguise) to force anything on devs.
  1. Games are $60? Boycott the game, and devs will be forced to bring the prices down.
  2. Features you don't like? Boycott the game, and devs will be forced to change them.
  3. The game has too many colors? Boycott the game, and devs will be forced to tone them down.

I cut off the bad part of your post, because that shit was just garbage-tier strawmen arguments I'm not gonna get into.

As to the above, I agree with you that boycotts are the way to go (especially since I made that a centerpoint of one of my first posts in this thread) but it's the underlined parts that I want to address.

1. The dev's larger cut may offer potential benefits to the consumer in the long term, yes... but then again I may win the lottery tonight and be able to retire by the end of the year. That's a lot to place on what basically amounts to a crap shoot. The question then is, naturally, what steps are to be taken between Now and Then to ensure this potential future? One obvious answer is not to piss all over all the consumers who you've both depended on in the past, and will have to depend on in the future. The Ooblets devs have done just that, and I don't think anyone thinks that was a good idea for them.

2. And the "consumers" wouldn't behave like absolute retards if the devs hadn't decided to piss all over them. I don't think many people minded that Ooblets went Epic-exclusive (though inevitably there are those who would be disappointed) but people sure did mind how the devs justified their action and mistreated the very people they depended on.

rating_citation.png
At best the dev is benefitting short-term... long-term benefits cannot be measured at this time, especially any possible damages from signing up for an exclusivity deal. However, in the case of the Ooblets developers, it's looking likely that the Epic money is the last money they'll ever get while holding their current jobs.

EDIT: Large oversight. Corrected (see point 3)

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Entitle? Dude, all that matters is: CAN I pirate it? Do I WANT to pirate it?

If the answer to both is YES then guess what? It’s gonna be pirated.

It doesn't matter. My point is that no matter how shit Epic may be, you aren't justified in pirating their games.

Tim payed for the games already. He is a bit like Jesus. But not religious.

Cromwell

Arcane
My comparison shows how people treat consumers and developers different. When one acts in their best interest, they are assholes. But if you decide to not purchase a game, you are not an asshole somehow. Either you agree no one is an asshole, or everyone is.

are you retarded? one is a company the other is a human. (hurrhurr devs are humans too)

Squid

Arbiter
Steam sucks. Epic sucks more. If you like that Epic is going to give Steam competition, great! Me too! But let's not pretend like their store isn't complete shit or that they pay out to big names for timed exclusives.

I can understand why a smaller company would take an Epic deal as financial stability is a thing all (most) humans strive for. But when big shot publishers are taking the deal it is only to line the top dogs' pockets more. People who don't need all the extra money but you're a fool for thinking the wouldn't take it anyway.

The fact that people say Epic will catch up with Steam in features is funny. It's also likely true. Either way, Steam has done this for 15 or so years. Epic can literally see what they should and shouldn't be doing with their interface and features. Launching without a shopping cart is hilarious. It's like the first time online shopping was ever a thing. "Oh yeah, basic feature? Hrrrmmmm hmmm hummmmmm uhhhh. We'll add it by the end of the year." Yeah, Steam launched like shit but that means others should take notes from all the time they wasted doing whatever it was to get shit right. Would Epic do it all right in one go? Of course not. But basic features are missing from a company with the currently biggest revenue generating video game on the market.

Fuck 'em both. Do better.

Jezal_k23

I don't disbelieve their sales numbers. The way I see it, part of the PC gaming community is engaging in some wishful thinking regarding the Epic store. The Fortnite audience alone is enough to fuel their store, and would be enough to fuel any store. People don't have to like them, but I think making up stories about how all the Epic exclusive games are bound to crash, burn and sell like 50 copies is silly. And I've seen a lot of people doing that lately. It's just insanely pointless and intellectually dishonest.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The fact that people say Epic will catch up with Steam in features is funny. It's also likely true.
It's not likely true at all.

No customer reviews is considered a feature for Epic. No forums, no community is a feature. Etc.

Epic will never catch up to Steam, because they don't want to. They think giving customers a say is bad. Therefore, they'll forever be the inferior store, and the most condescending. And who the fuck would defend let alone support a store whose vision is based on the idea that their customers are toxic? Only ignorants and people ideologically aligned against gamers. Good luck with that kind of audience.

Squid

Arbiter
Yeah, games aren't going to fail because of the Epic launcher when there's already a user base there due to Fortnite and games also sell on consoles without this drama. It's just wishful thinking for a demise because people felt betrayed.
I get it. People really want their games all in one spot and Steam has been the easy go to place for it. They've had great sales, they have community features, even an integrated mod thing. A friends list that doesn't absolutely suck ass.

And fair Ismaul. Didn't think of it like that. But we'll see as time continues and if they really want to truly compete with Steam as a storefront or not.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As I said probably over a hundred pages ago, Sweeney could have competed by not enforcing exclusivity deals but selling games on Epic for a lower price: the developer would still get a higher yield but Sweeney's (and the Chinese government's) end would be less than Valve's. Epic is simply pushing the cost on to consumers. Period.

Codex Year of the Donut
As I said probably over a hundred pages ago, Sweeney could have competed by not enforcing exclusivity deals but selling games on Epic for a lower price: the developer would still get a higher yield but Sweeney's (and the Chinese government's) end would be less than Valve's. Epic is simply pushing the cost on to consumers. Period.
How would the owners of video game companies get a new yacht in this situation?

passerby

Arcane
1) Publishers set the price not Sweeney. Epic would be perfectly fine with lower prices, but it's not their decission to make.
2) If publishers had set lower prices, it'd defeat the whole point of the lower cut for them.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
it isnt legitimate. If you cant see the difference between a private consumer doing X and a company doing X nobody can help you.

Sorry, if you can't see that both a person and a group of persons act on their best interests, nobody can help you.
What's even funnier: all the customer gets is a game; the group of persons get the money that pays for the food on their tables.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Steam sucks. Epic sucks more. If you like that Epic is going to give Steam competition, great! Me too! But let's not pretend like their store isn't complete shit or that they pay out to big names for timed exclusives.

The client definitely sucks and lacks features, but I think the people upset about this situation vastly underestimate the number of people who either don't care or don't care enough to ignore an exclusive they want.

thesecret1

Arcane
don't care enough to ignore an exclusive they want.
Even if they buy the one exclusive, they'll keep buying other games on Steam or GOG rather than suddenly becoming loyal Epic customers. Epic's strategy cannot work long term - they need to convince people to actually preffer them over other storefronts, but I don't see how they'd do that when even their damn client is total shit

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Even if they buy the one exclusive, they'll keep buying other games on Steam or GOG rather than suddenly becoming loyal Epic customers. Epic's strategy cannot work long term - they need to convince people to actually preffer them over other storefronts, but I don't see how they'd do that when even their damn client is total shit

Yeah, I've said that before. To turn buyers of exclusives into more long-term customers they have to improve the client a LOT faster than they are. It baffles me they're so lackadaisical about it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Epic should make text based store where you must input commands. And it should work only with MS-DOS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom