Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Eh, setting aside the blasphemousness of microtransactions, what's the point of using a centralized platform when customers have to use other third-party payment methods.

How different is this really, since I know if I want the Rage 2 DLC (a game I bought on Steam) I have to buy it from Bethesda directly in the game itself, which is bullshit.

Modron

Arcane
How different is this really, since I know if I want the Rage 2 DLC (a game I bought on Steam) I have to buy it from Bethesda directly in the game itself, which is bullshit.
Surprised you can do that, the whole reason EA pulled everything from steam going forward was because valve wouldn't let them do that in Dragon Age 2.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Eh, setting aside the blasphemousness of microtransactions, what's the point of using a centralized platform when customers have to use other third-party payment methods.

It looks like actual payment (buying RAGE 2 Coins to buy the DLC) still has to go through Steam's system?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It looks like actual payment (buying RAGE 2 Coins to buy the DLC) still has to go through Steam's system?

It doesn't have to, you can buy "Rage coins" in-game directly from Bethesda. I am surprised since I thought Steam required a percentage. Also either way you have to go through Bethesda's servers and only own the DLC on their system, and also you have to be online to use the DLC. It's pretty ridiculous. If Epic's move allows the same kind of shit or worse, it's pure decline.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

All in-game purchases are decline. The amount of hoops required to jump through is immaterial.
I honestly can't think of a single game where they have added anything positive to the experience.

I guess you could make the case that the free to play model at least gives you the option to play for free, but even paid games have them nowadays.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
GoG handles this by their store and accounts being fucking functional and it not being super easy to log into other users' accounts unless you know the password.

This isn't an issue in functional stores.

Piracy is easy with GoG installers, yes, you can upload a GoG installer anywhere and it will run for anyone who downloads it, but I never read a single thing about a GoG user waking up and suddenly having a game in his account he never bought, or a GoG user logging into someone else's account to download all the games. This only happens with stores that have security issues - such as Epic Store, which is pretty much just a gigantic bag of issues piled together.

With how quickly every game released on steam gets cracked, you can distribute steam games just as easily, so this shouldn't be a consideration for GoG. I'm pretty sure anyone pirating DRM free games torrents them just the same you would torrent games with DRM. People who buy DRM free place a higher value on customer service and practices that aren't designed to treat you like shit, so the average person buying DRM free would be less likely to spit in the face of good service and reupload those purchases.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All in-game purchases are decline. The amount of hoops required to jump through is immaterial.

Well in Rage 2's case it's a real expansion. Like the game or not, that's not just bullshit microtransactions. The fact it's only available in-game, for "Rage coins," and requires a constant internet connection is pretty batshit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
With Ashen out on Steam and GOG today it will be interesting to see player numbers and if there are any comments about how it's doing. I wonder what message great success would give developers though... either "Steam is still the king, releasing there is important" or "releasing on Steam later won't impact your sales there." I'm really hoping we get a comment one way or the other from someone.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
With Ashen out on Steam and GOG today it will be interesting to see player numbers and if there are any comments about how it's doing. I wonder what message great success would give developers though... either "Steam is still the king, releasing there is important" or "releasing on Steam later won't impact your sales there." I'm really hoping we get a comment one way or the other from someone.

Yeah but this isn't an ideal case. Game is good but it's very indie, very niche and very cell shaded. There wouldn't be much buzz about something like that, even if it released on Steam straight away.

An interesting tidbit - the game is 6 euro cheaper on Steam (comparing regular prices, not promos).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah but this isn't an ideal case. Game is good but it's very indie, very niche and very cell shaded. There wouldn't be much buzz about something like that, even if it released on Steam straight away.

Sure, I think stuff like Borderlands 3 is a better gauge. Still, indies make up a big part of the platform now so it will be interesting to see how it impacts them.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Or... by not releasing on Steam immediately the game lost a huge amount of momentum/buzz and is basically DOA when it finally does launch on Steam.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Or... by not releasing on Steam immediately the game lost a huge amount of momentum/buzz and is basically DOA when it finally does launch on Steam.
Didn't the same thing happened with Read Dead Redemption 2? I recall reading something about the game not doing very good on Steam after already launching on Epic. It has an all time player peak of 41K, compared to 360K of GTA5 for example.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think 40k is still pretty good, only a few thousands below Jedi Fallen Order. It's quite difficult to measure how successful the launch is since there's no way to know peak number on R* and Epic though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Sure, it's possible. My whole motivation to get more quotes and numbers is to find out just how many people are willing to wait a year to play a game they're interested in in order to have it on their preferred client. Much to your annoyance I've always expected the number to be small, but I'm willing to be shown it's not. I just want more facts.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Didn't the same thing happened with Read Dead Redemption 2? I recall reading something about the game not doing very good on Steam after already launching on Epic.

First, you have no idea how the game did on Steam, let alone on Epic. Noone has. And second, the game was a console exclusive long before it landed on Epic. Everyone and their parrot already bought it.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Didn't the same thing happened with Read Dead Redemption 2? I recall reading something about the game not doing very good on Steam after already launching on Epic.

First, you have no idea how the game did on Steam, let alone on Epic. Noone has. And second, the game was a console exclusive long before it landed on Epic. Everyone and their parrot already bought it.
First, that's why I was just asking, and not stating as a fact. Second, I cited the player numbers, which might give some indication. 2K were boasting about the good sales on Epic, so we know that it sold a lot on Epic. But after that, the Steam sales seem just mediocre (based on player numbers).

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm assuming most people are either waiting for it to go on sale or for a couple patches. If PC people really wanted it right away they probably would have just got it on Rockstar launcher or pirate it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, the steam charts are still accurate, I think. So the all time peak (post-launch) should give you a decent idea of how well the game sold. I don't think there are that many users with 500+ titles on steam who just buy games with no intention of playing them. Though I don't have any solid proof of that, so might be bs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
2K were boasting about the good sales on Epic, so we know that it sold a lot on Epic. But after that, the Steam sales seem just mediocre (based on player numbers).

You're losing the thread here. Metro's original point was whether games lose momentum if they don't release on Steam right away. Obviously that's a good question but my point was RDR2 is not a good example because it already sold eleven trillion copies on consoles a year ago.

We already talked about this with Vault Dweller in the Paranoia thread. We'll have to wait for the first proper Epic exclusives to arrive to Steam and this will take a while. Ashen came out yesterday but that is an indie, Exodus will come out in February but that already was on Steam as a pre-purchase. I think we'll have to wait for Control to show up on Steam to be able to assess how the Epic exclusivity affects sales of a major, high-profile game.

Fishy

Savant

An interesting tidbit - the game is 6 euro cheaper on Steam (comparing regular prices, not promos).

Can only speak for myself, but they lost me with the delay. I was seriously hyped at the time and anything souls-like or MH-like was on my list, so that was a day one purchase. Now though? Meh. I've watched bits of streams playing it, the hype's gone, and well, I've just moved on.

I'm definitely not saying this will be the case for me and every single epic exclusive, but I can see that becoming a trend for anything I'd have impulse-bought, which at the end of the day is not a bad thing. RDR2 and Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw are in the same boat.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex

Can only speak for myself, but they lost me with the delay. I was seriously hyped at the time and anything souls-like or MH-like was on my list, so that was a day one purchase. Now though? Meh. I've watched bits of streams playing it, the hype's gone, and well, I've just moved on.

I'm definitely not saying this will be the case for me and every single epic exclusive, but I can see that becoming a trend for anything I'd have impulse-bought, which at the end of the day is not a bad thing. RDR2 and Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw are in the same boat.

Same, im not impatient, i can wait for stuff... but epic did kill the hype so atleast with me its bad for indie games.
See muh post from a year ago:

Ohh one of the games i wanted: Ashen, is now exclusive on Epic.

Fuck em, im not installing anymore bloatware, im not happy with the shit im already using....

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sony publishes another game on Epic Store. It's a multiplayer Predator game:

(Also there was an announcement they will bring MLB The Show, practically the only (non-sim) baseball video game franchise, to other consoles by 2021. Wonder if it's also going to be Epic, but it's 1 or 2 years away so eh.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom