Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I have not heard anything from Epic that their store is a big success. I think if it was a big success they would want to tell it everywhere wouldn't they.

But even if it is breaking even they pissed off a lot of people when they should have done the exact opposite. Let's say I caved in and installed their launcher now, I would forever feel guilty for having stinking Chinese crap on my computer.

But I don't feel I have to install it to play this game with the apes or the one that have already turned out to be shit like Genesis alpha one or Sinking City

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I never expected EGS to have any sort of long term staying power. Unlike other stores, they aren't a publisher who makes their own dozen IP games a year or had a pre-existing foothold with a specific niche. They are literally just "zoomers bought fortnite our one shit wonder, and with the lots of money we made by peddling decline, let's try starting a store". Fortnite itself is another gutter trash timepiece with no staying power, pure fad popularity, which is why EGS has been aggressively bribing developers for exclusivity deals and throwing free games at people, because they are desperate as all hell to gain a customer base, because they know that once Fortnite stops being the hip new piece of shit that 16 year olds are interested in playing, their entire revenue stream evaporates and they will be left with a half baked store that will need to generate enough revenue to pay for itself.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
429M for Fortnite seems really low, that game is everywhere, seriously i have passed through toy aisles in stores where 99% of toys or even just Funko Pop stuff is Fortnite, there is a TCG, it's mentioned all the time and last i checked, it was the most played game on the planet.

Then again, it is F2P and not everyone wants to pay, i just assumed it made more money than that, still, if flyingjohn above me is right, then...

Fortnite's market share dropped sharply in 2019.

The most troubling part about the above statement is that I don't know to which game that missing market share went to.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
429M for Fortnite seems really low, that game is everywhere, seriously i have passed through toy aisles in stores where 99% of toys or even just Funko Pop stuff is Fortnite, there is a TCG, it's mentioned all the time and last i checked, it was the most played game on the planet.

Then again, it is F2P and not everyone wants to pay, i just assumed it made more money than that, still, if flyingjohn above me is right, then...

The most troubling part about the above statement is that I don't know to which game that missing market share went to.
Probably went back to minecraft, if my youtube feed is any indication of any trends.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL all those games on epic must be hurting. 200 mils split between them all is like selling 5 copies each. Also most likely half of those shit was borderlands3 and the nu metro. It seems like a place where kickstarters go to die.

Citizen

What happened? Why did playerbase drop?

This is what google comes up with. Are they really losing players because of balance changes or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hardly about the quality of the client. It's much more about force of habit.

The Steam client, whatever you or I might think of it, offers a lot of people a lot of features they genuinely love. In any event, whatever you want to ascribe Steam loyalty to, the point remains the same. Epic seem to be playing the "get people in and then turn them into real customers" game, but I'm not sure how they plan to actually do the second part. I don't think your theory of it all being about new customers holds water, since the exclusives game is all about making people switch from other platforms, and since they've been very open about wanting to knock Steam down a few pegs.
i despised steam (under many aspects i still do), i avoided it for years. i began using it when i saw all the x-com series for 1 dollar. it was impossible to get otherwise back at the time, and manually setting up dosbox was still a nightmare. i didn't buy anything else for months, maybe years. i started spending with the 1-2-3 dollars sales, with the bundles, with the 90% off offers. nothing i can foresee in epic client's future. then all these goodies stopped, and guess what? i stopped spending too! surprise surprise!
but never underestimate stupidity in large numbers, so we can only hope either fortnite kids are not as retarded as they look, seem and act, or that in the meantime they'd grow up and realise "how the fuck am i wasting my youth on this shit?" and move on elsewhere.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You do understand that steam launched in 2003 when none of the modern features were a thing and even then was better then any alternative that existed both in features and usability?
Also Valve didn't have several billions at the bank compared to epic today.
People switched to steam because they were the only ones offering a digital platform and not screaming "PC IS DEAD BECAUSE OF PIRACY".

What exactly of what I said goes against anything of that?
I only said that the client was shit but the people still stuck with it, so I don't think it's as much about the quality of the client as it is about the force of habit.
I even acknowledged that they probably stayed because there was no alternative, but after this much time, it's simply force of habit and it would have been the same even if the client remained shit.
So, please spare me the "waah waah but valve was so poor and saved pc gaming pls leave valve alone" tears. This was not an attack on Valve.

Therefore:
I see FeelTheRads still riding that "B-but steam client was shit 15 years ago!" horse.
Butthurt moron. Learn to read. This wasn't "B-but steam client was shit 15 years ago!" in any way. But rather "people will learn to like shit". As in, someone who goes first on Epic won't know about the Steam features they're missing and will more likely stay there since it was their first platform. It goes the same either way. So calm down, fanbot, again, it's not an attack on Valve. This time.

But hey I see that Steamtards are still riding that "Steam doesn't have exclusives because games that are only available on Steam are somehow not exclusives" wave.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Fortnite will die just like Call of Duty. Ie: never.

This is what google comes up with. Are they really losing players because of balance changes or what?
Season X was... controversial. But Chapter 2 put the playerbase back on track.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Fortnite will die just like Call of Duty. Ie: never.

Season X was... controversial. But Chapter 2 put the playerbase back on track.
If Fortnite is so good how come there isn't a Fortnite 2 huh?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I only said that the client was shit but the people still stuck with it, so I don't think it's as much about the quality of the client as it is about the force of habit.
I even acknowledged that they probably stayed because there was no alternative, but after this much time, it's simply force of habit and it would have been the same even if the client remained shit.
So, please spare me the "waah waah but valve was so poor and saved pc gaming pls leave valve alone" tears. This was not an attack on Valve.

You're right that Steam sucked at launch. People sometimes forget that everyone hated that thing, and were only using it because Half-Life 2 forced them to. However Steam improved pretty quickly, and within a handful of years people were mad when games weren't Steamworks. Valve did that by making Steamworks games cheaper and more convenient. Cheap and convenient is always what average consumers flock to, time and time again. Now, after a decade of basically no competition, the "convenient" aspect also applies to "everything in one place." It's more convenient to just use Steam as your entire game hub, and ignore everything else. You can call that "habit" if you want, but it's a loyalty that came about because Valve earned it and cultivated it over time.

That is what Epic is competing against, and while exclusives do work in gaming, and freebies do work in general, I don't see their long-term plan.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You're right that Steam sucked at launch. People sometimes forget that everyone hated that thing, and were only using it because Half-Life 2 forced them to. However Steam improved pretty quickly, and within a handful of years people were mad when games weren't Steamworks.

Most people hated it because they saw Steam as something akin to Valve adding this unnecessarily cumbersome system to replace what worked - simple CD key authorization. Now you needed a separate client, hoping it would actually work 100% of the time, etc. It was breaking new grounds and logically anything similar requires some time for customers to get used to it and see the benefits.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
You're right that Steam sucked at launch. People sometimes forget that everyone hated that thing, and were only using it because Half-Life 2 forced them to. However Steam improved pretty quickly, and within a handful of years people were mad when games weren't Steamworks.

Most people hated it because they saw Steam as something akin to Valve adding this unnecessarily cumbersome system to replace what worked - simple CD key authorization. Now you needed a separate client, hoping it would actually work 100% of the time, etc. It was breaking new grounds and logically anything similar requires some time for customers to get used to it and see the benefits.

It was bloated as fuck and a system hog that raped my budget build, its less so now either due to better code or higher end components. I think I relented and joined when they shut down the WON network and forced me onto steam to play TFC and DoD. I remember being salty over that.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I first installed Steam after getting the Orange Box as a gift from my girlfriend. I hated the thing and only kept it installed while playing Half-Life. Then, the combination of 90% off sales with the strongest brazilian real in history made me a regular purchaser and I retired (most of) my pirating ways. The formal brazilian PC gaming market probably sprang out of nowhere because of Gabe Newell and Lula da Silva.

This end-of-year sale was better at the EGS, at least in brazilian prices. The combination of sales and the renewing coupon made the prices quite a bit better than Steam. Also, the free games. If Epic can keep this up for a couple more years, I suspect they can put a dent in Valve's quasi-monopoly.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Steam drove me to 100% piracy of all steam exclusives that I'm interested in.
Gabe was right when he said piracy is a service problem. I will not pay for a service that forces me to install and 24/7 run third party software unrelated to the game I'm trying to play. DRM is the single greatest service problem with video games.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Gabe was right when he said piracy is a service problem. I will not pay for a service that forces me to install and 24/7 run third party software unrelated to the game I'm trying to play. DRM is the single greatest service problem with video games.

They could've done that GOG does* and offer separate installers too, but still keep DRM games on the client only, so they can have the big publishers sell games on their platform. But nope, instead they essentially gave free DRM to everyone.
So Steam effectively increased the usage of DRM. With Steam any piece of shit poorfag can get free DRM on his shit game.
And of course Steamfags swallowed it and liked it, because you see, having to install a client and use it to play the game is not DRM according to them. Kinda like how a game only available on Steam is somehow better than a game that's only available on Epic. :lol:

*Well, STILL does. At least until they figure out that keeping separate installers is probably not worth it for the few people who still care about it.

Silly Germans

Steam drove me to 100% piracy of all steam exclusives that I'm interested in.
I fully agree. That the success of Steam would lead to the use of launchers including telemetry(the nice euphemism for spyware) by other companies was obvious.
I still wish i could understand how the minds of people work that defend/use Steam while at the same time criticizing Epic, given that these retards are responsible for the current state of things.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still wish i could understand how the minds of people work that defend/use Steam while at the same time criticizing Epic, given that these retards are responsible for the current state of things.
Let me help you with this. We don't want to use a dozen game launchers to play our games, and like to have all of our collection in one place. How many launchers do we have now? It's almost a dozen.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
We don't want to use a dozen game launchers to play our games, and like to have all of our collection in one place.

Right, so therefore nobody but Valve should be allowed to sell games. Got it.

How many launchers do we have now? It's almost a dozen.

Even one is too many. But I never hear you crying when a game requires you to use Steam (and ONLY Steam).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Let me help you with this. We don't want to use a dozen game launchers to play our games, and like to have all of our collection in one place. How many launchers do we have now? It's almost a dozen.
Do you own only Steam games? You don't have anything on GOG or uPlay or Origin or Battlenet?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Do you own only Steam games? You don't have anything on GOG or uPlay or Origin or Battlenet?
GOG and Battlenet games don't require starting up a separate launcher, and I avoid uPlay and Origin games for this exact reason. I have a few games on Epic store (mostly free ones + the one game I wanted to try badly enough to pay for it) and I don't even open it up to check for whatever free shit they're peddling at this point, let alone play anything or buy shit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have a multi-page GOG library. GOG games are DRM-free, and don't require a launcher.

I have a large Steam library because, frankly, I was in my early 20s in the early 2000s, and the ramifications of Steam as a DRM client didn't make much of an impression on me. I was eased into using it for digital distribution as it evolved. Regardless, Steam has evolved into a relatively trustworthy and consumer-friendly digital distribution/DRM platform. I continue to use it because it's so ubiquitous, and because I own a lot of titles through it; it's a grandfathered-in compromise.

I have never and will never use Origin, uPlay, nor any other publisher-specific DRM platform. I don't want my PC loaded down with invasive, datamining DRM clients. The Epic Store is actually worse than the lot of them because of their exclusivity bribing and the fact that they take all comers, especially independent games, and not just games under the umbrella of a particular publisher.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have GOG games because the classics were available there, and it does not require a launcher. I have accounts on uPlay, Origin and Battlenet, but I never bought a game there. Not one, because I realized that I don't want to have half a dozen launcher on my computer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom