Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Gonna be waiting a long ass time in many cases. Some of my favorite games last decade are available nowhere else, like Dishonored. If you hate Steam it's much easier to just turn off all in-game aspects of it, minimize it to system tray and launch the games from a desktop shortcut. That's what I do, and Steam is pretty much invisible. It's still annoying having to launch it, but it's a minor inconvenience. Now, if you disagree with DRM enough to never buy anything that has DRM, I get that. I'd rather you support the devs and then pirate a DRM free version, but if you can't bring yourself to give money to a DRM'd game, I get it.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jigawatt Arcane

Jigawatt
    Another (IMO most likely) possibility is that most people are indifferent to spyware/performance impacts and just run every client all the time on their machines but actually do the launching via some meta-client like Playnite. As this develops more I'm sure they'll even proxy the storefronts to include price comparison a la https://isthereanydeal.com/

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    GOG Galaxy 2.0 is basically trying to be that too.

^ Top  
  4. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Steam changed their policy toward AAA games and they can now have 20% officially and probably less unofficially. If 10 more like Epic stores will open and they will all ask for 10% instead of 30% then Steam will have to drop completely 30%.

yup, using it atm. Which is why whole Steam vs Epic stuff deoesn't concern me. I just hit play, epic/steam launch and after i am done with game it closes. They lately even added to see status of steam/epic etc friends and what they do atm. Probably chat will go next.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. abija Liturgist

abija
    Most "normies" I know just click the icon on desktop/taskbar. Pretty sure all these launchers default to autorun on startup.

^ Top  
  6. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I also had to live with copy protection out of manuals. That's why I'm sceptical as fuck about clients in general.

• Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. VonHoffenHeimer Barely Literate

VonHoffenHeimer
    I'm not sure i get the correlation?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Back in my day I just made a folder with shortcuts to the executables of my games, still do. Launchers are needless middlemen bloat.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Old Old x 2
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Free Game: Bridge
    Next Week. Farming Simulator 2019

• Funny Funny x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    I find these numbers rather hilarious for what they attempted. Remember they put untold millions into their "Excl000sives" scheme and threw around Free Games every week to try and trick the faint of mind and the results seem to be very disappointing for them. The entire Sales volume for third party games that they managed during their critical first year where they splurged money left and right is lower than what retards paid for Star Shitizen .jpg's. The money they actually made with their 12% cut of that is ~$30 million and they likely paid a lot more into "Excl000sive" deals than they made back, let alone for "Free games".

If this is anywhere close to true they might have made their Sales guarantee money back on the Top 4-5 titles which are also responsible for the bulk of their profits, but everything else was them essentially subsidizing developers (and also waiving their Unreal Engine licensing fees, losing even more money in the process) for near to no personal gain whatsoever while wasting lots of cash and pounding sand (which might explain why we haven't heard about many new "Excl000sives" lately): https://wccftech.com/borderlands-3-sold-an-estimated-two-million-copies-on-epic-games-store/
    [​IMG]

Also consider that these numbers allegedly include Pre-Orders, Retail copies and Key Redemptions, which might be a large part of the likes of Borderlands 3 or Metro: Exodus Sales, for which Epic likely gets nothing. It also tells us that games like Control, The Outer Worlds, as well as many other games like Journey, Ancestors, Operencia, Rebel Galaxy, The Sinking City, Phoenix Point, Ashen, all the Quantic Dream shit (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Detroit: Become Human) etc. were massive flops not only for Epic that bribed their developers, but for the devs themselves that would have likely sold a multitude more during the critical launch period of these games if they had launched on Steam instead, since there were dozens of Indie games that sold Borderlands 3/World War Z/Metro: Exodus numbers over there (and even those would have likely sold a lot more there). Developers that don't think their game is doomed and will not sell anything will also be a lot less likely to take these deals going forward.

I predicted that the Epic Store will likely stick around for a long while, but seeing this I'm not so sure anymore, it might well go the way of GfWL. It'll depend on what they'll do in the next 2-3 years till their Fortnite money runs out, but they can't be too happy with the results given what they've put in and are splurging on more Game Giveaways out of desperation. LOL at all the people that were panicking and saying stuff like "STEAM NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING NOW!" or that the "Fortnite audience will swoop in and save Epic!" though. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Belegarsson Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Patron

Belegarsson
    ... @@ did Goose Game really sell only 151k copies??? Based on how widespreaded the memes were, I legit expected it to do Cuphead's numbers. Same with Outer Wilds, the kind of sleeper hit indie that Youtubers won't shut up about so it blows up with the audience.

On the bright side, we have ammunition for The Outer Worlds Sale Analysis thread now :positive:

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    One side of looking at this is that this is failure because they didn't sell more games than Steam.
    The other way of looking at it is that they sold millions of games in just first year of their store thanks to their policies, promotions etc.
    The whole point of EPIC money splurge is to force users to use their store. I don't think they targeted being 1st in first year of their store.

I wouldn't trust that data though.
    Data is supposedly taken out from XBOX API.

The obvious question is what does XBOX API has to do with some of those games which don't log into xbox or use any xbox api stuff.

Edit:

Also 2mln copies sold on EPYC of borderlands kind of proves that exclusivity works. I don't think Steam version would do 3-4 mln in such short time frame at 60$.

BL2 has is between 10 and 20 mln on steam but that game was released years ago and was sold for as low as 3-4$ multiple times.

It will be interesting to see Steam sales after BL3 period ends with Epic.

• Agree x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    Imho they're here for the long run. Fortnite is Sweeney's Facebook: a huge, insane money spinner that ensures he can throw as much cash as he wants at his problems. And at the end of the day, gamers can very much be bought over. It's just a question of time, and they're playing it right. They already have a huge userbase with accounts that will grow up and start spending their own money in a few years, and with their continued giveaways, they ensure that your average gamer has a vast pre-existing Epic library which will make them less unlikely to purchase additional stuff there. GOG was super smart in sort of doing this with Connect, but Epic's wallet is just so huge it's a behemoth that will hardly stop. I have no doubt they'll secure their share of the market. The only thing that could stop them is Sweeney suddenly deciding (again) that only consoles are worth investing into and pc gamers are all pirating paupers.

If I were an impoverished teenager, you can bet I'd have an Epic account with 30+ free games that include some absolute gems. It's a no-brainer if you don't have the cash.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    151k on Epic. But it also sold on PS4, XBox and Switch.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Because of GamePass, it really means nothing.

^ Top  
  16. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Absolute gems for teenager playing fortnite?

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    The ones that will only play shitty mp games will just keep feeding the company no matter what, they're irrelevant. The giveaways are securing the ones that actually have some taste.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    There is zero good games in Epic Store.

• Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    I'm afraid I haven't been here long enough to tell if you're just pushing that line simply because you wish them to fail or because you actually have very specific tastes with regards to games. Just a quick glance at the list shows, amongst other things: Talos Principle, Hyper Light Drifter, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, FTL, Celeste, Rayman Legends, World of Goo, The Witness, Axiom Verge, Super Meat Boy and Subnautica. It may be pretty bare with regards to RPGs but that's pretty solid games in their respective genres.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Multi-headed Cow Cipher

Multi-headed Cow
    https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/worldwide-digital-games-market

:positive:

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    In 5 years nobody will even remember what Fortnite looked like :lol:

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    Bro, there's a generation whose entire childhood is defined by fortnite and minecraft. Get ready for fortnite nostalgia products for the next 90 years.

• Agree x 4
    • Despair x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    This "I don't like Fortnite so it's a failure and irrelevant" mindset some have is truly baffling.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Welcome to the Codex, where game are considered a flop if they don't adhere to the Codex standards.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    [​IMG] of who exactly said that.

Fortnite is a fad game held aloft and propagated by PR and its own popularity, these usually have a shelf life from somewhere between 3-7 years, often cut short by the newest fad popping up and stealing all the lamplight/glory.

With 3 years under its belt, it's most likely already past its high point of popularity and down the slope of diminishing returns: https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/07/22/decline-fortnite-hurting-microsoft-gaming-business.aspx

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)