Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I really don't get why mobile gaming is so big. Mobiles suck for gaming, their only saving grace is that they let you easily play on the train, during lunch at work, etc. But it seems that far more mobile gaming happens at home in the sofa. Why don't these people get at least a console or a gaming laptop?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really don't get why mobile gaming is so big. Mobiles suck for gaming, their only saving grace is that they let you easily play on the train, during lunch at work, etc. But it seems that far more mobile gaming happens at home in the sofa. Why don't these people get at least a console or a gaming laptop?

The amusing thing is phones and tablets seem to be getting bigger all the time. I'm just waiting for some company like Apple to start pushing the desktop again and pretend it's some new trendy thing.

Alphons

Cipher

My younger cousins are really into mobiles. They really like to play them and use the in-game "share with friends" option when, for example they drop some rare skin from loot crate.

My aunt also doesn't like spending money on stupid things like computer games (but everyone needs a phone even if they don't use it to call others), so they mostly play those brain-dead freemium games.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I really don't get why mobile gaming is so big. Mobiles suck for gaming, their only saving grace is that they let you easily play on the train, during lunch at work, etc.

You answered your own question. Asians spend untold hours commuting in public transit compared to westerners.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I really don't get why mobile gaming is so big. Mobiles suck for gaming, their only saving grace is that they let you easily play on the train, during lunch at work, etc.

You answered your own question. Asians spend untold hours commuting in public transit compared to westerners.
That could explain why mobile gaming is popular, sure, but not why it's twice as big as all other gaming combined.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

That could explain why mobile gaming is popular, sure, but not why it's twice as big as all other gaming combined.

I suspect mobile gaming isn't seen as "gaming" by a lot of people. That's why you see old folks playing games like candy crush despite hating "gaming".

Another way to look at it is mobile very much has the casual market cornered.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I suspect mobile gaming isn't seen as "gaming" by a lot of people. That's why you see old folks playing games like candy crush despite hating "gaming".

Yes, my wife is now considered a "gamer" by these investor metrics, because she plays Candy Crush and 2048 randomly when she's bored. Yet this same woman has whined for years about my PC gaming hobby, telling me video games are juvenile and I should have stopped playing them by now. But yeah, sure, she's totally a "gamer."

My wife's occasional silly hypocrisy aside though, it's all about revenue. Yes I'm sure some Popcap and Blizzard fans switched to mobile and never looked back. However has traditional PC revenue really taken a hit? Has console revenue? Like I said above, the PS4 surprised everyone by selling 80 million units and all I read about PC revenue is glowing reports. This year is the first one it fell at all in forever, and it was only 2% and almost surely due to a weak release slate. Traditional gaming isn't going anywhere, just because other revenue streams open up. I mean... maybe in a few decades, when people die off and kids raised on Fortnite and VR take over more, but not anytime soon.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Yes, my wife is now considered a "gamer" by these investor metrics, because she plays Candy Crush and 2048 randomly when she's bored. Yet this same woman has whined for years about my PC gaming hobby, telling me video games are juvenile and I should have stopped playing them by now. But yeah, sure, she's totally a "gamer."

My wife's occasional silly hypocrisy aside though, it's all about revenue. Yes I'm sure some Popcap and Blizzard fans switched to mobile and never looked back. However has traditional PC revenue really taken a hit? Has console revenue? Like I said above, the PS4 surprised everyone by selling 80 million units and all I read about PC revenue is glowing reports. This year is the first one it fell at all in forever, and it was only 2% and almost surely due to a weak release slate. Traditional gaming isn't going anywhere, just because other revenue streams open up. I mean... maybe in a few decades, when people die off and kids raised on Fortnite and VR take over more, but not anytime soon.

Worst case traditional gaming becomes more niche and gets less AAA titles.

Considering how shit most AAA titles are, I don't think we'd lose that much.

J1M

Arcane
I wonder how long it will be before every single major franchise has its own DRM store... maybe even its very own console. Call of Duty Box, Elder Scrolls Pad, Assassin Creed Station, etc.

The sad thing about all of this bickering is that it's largely irrelevant, because mobile games are still king of the mountain. PC games have made a huge comeback (in terms of market share vs. the combined market share of console games) over the course of the past decade, but this is a Pyrrhic victory, because they've done so via the stratospheric success of mass-appeal cash shop/F2P games such as League of Legends and Fortnite (and Fortnite's faddish predecessors). Additionally, consoles have lost a greater proportion of market share to the mobile industry.

For well over a decade, people argued about which MMORPG would be the "WoW killer," but WoW wasn't killed by another MMORPG—it was ultimately killed, in large part, by a Defense of the Ancients clone. How ironic for Blizzard. It's as though everyone had been betting for years on which weasel or mink would finally take down a legendary old hare in its dotage, but a freakishly large eagle swooped down and nabbed it instead.

My point is that PC games, and even console games, face a similar exterior threat. The real competition isn't PC vs. PC, or PC vs. console, but mobile games vs. everything else. It's been this way for a while now. Almost everyone on the planet has a smartphone on them at all times now, they nearly all tootle away on some game or another (ESPECIALLY industrialized Asians) on a daily basis, and the technology continues to inch forward, allowing yet more sophisticated games to run on the things.
It doesn't really matter if the casuals are playing consoles or match-3 scams on their phones. The enthusiast PC market is growing as more people realize that consoles are for tourists.

The sooner the industry accepts what we have been saying for years, that the market is gamers and non-gamers who sometimes pass the time with games, the better.

And Astez, but I don't know that one. This week it's two board games by Asmodee, Ticket to Ride and Carcassone. Looks like they're back to giving out two games, I thought they moved into an one-game model after the initial push to attract people.

Everyone already has the required hardware.

Irata

Scholar
Did Epic wise up and start adding DRM to their giveaways? I've noticed that everything they've released since the beginning of the year needs the Epic launcher to run. Adding -EpicPortal does nothing for me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Own it on GOG, but happy to give the Kingdom Come guys a few extra bucks by clicking a button. Assuming Epic pays them something per copy, which is how I'd imagine it works.
Smejki , could you clarify how does this work on the Epic Story? I know you can't share numbers, but maybe you can share a few details. :P

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Did Epic wise up and start adding DRM to their giveaways? I've noticed that everything they've released since the beginning of the year needs the Epic launcher to run. Adding -EpicPortal does nothing for me.

They added it to Tetris Effect and Control before, so wouldn't surprise me.

We are not paid per copy.

Interesting, thanks for saying (hope you got a nice flat fee then). Well then never mind about clicking it, my GOG copy is infinitely better. :salute:

Silentstorm

Learned
Wait, so they just put games for free and don't play developers for the copies?

There must be some kind of fee they pay though, i mean, a lot of those games were either more than a year old or more than a few months old, and a lot of sales are done after a game releases, but still, you'd think they would give more to the developers that agree to have their games become free for a while.

Sultan

Novice
Patron
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

There must be some kind of fee they pay though, i mean, a lot of those games were either more than a year old or more than a few months old, and a lot of sales are done after a game releases, but still, you'd think they would give more to the developers that agree to have their games become free for a while.
There has to be some kind of lump sum payment for these promotions.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

We're supposed to get free healthcare and education. Why not games, too?

Everything's free! Nothing costs anything ever again! :happytrollboy:

(except muggings, divorce, rent, and the Corona Virus special edition).

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
We're supposed to get free healthcare and education. Why not games, too? Everything's free! Nothing costs anything ever again!

Tell me... have you considered running for President of the United States?

I'm poor, don't have dead prostitutes in the trunk of my car, live in fly-over country, and am not part of any secret societies. I clearly lack experience and 'networking skills', so no.

But I'd make a great gaming industry czar. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom