Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Aemar

Arcane
I'd rather get GTA V or any other game from either Steam or GOG and pay for it rather than get it for free from these shady dealers with their shitty business tactics and Chinese spyware bullshit.

"digital delivery will save us!". look at it now.

i got curious about this so colled codex mod which supposedly turns the trainwreck beyond earth into a decent game. the extended demo won't work and i don't trust "false positives", so alright, i'll bite (most probably the bullet) and buy it. full price. 70 euros. for a shit 6 years old game. which i should have found for 2 in a bargain bin which doesn't exist anymore.
epic is going to do the same: today it's free gta, tomorrow it's double price everything.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I just snagged Grand Theft Auto 5 Premium Edition. Feels kind of awesome especially with GTA Online included. However, it did take 10-12 hours for Rockstar Games Social Club to send the email verification (needed to play). But what the hell, it's free, right? Fuck micro-transactions though. That's not what I'm about. They won't get a penny from this tightwad if that was their "The First One Is For Free!" intention.

Lunac

Arcane
The horror....the horror... I find myself playing retro games more and more on my offline WinXP era PC or my old Win9x/DOS machine, because these "online, interactive for your convenience, DRM-lite user-friendly storefronts" are making it hell to do modern PC gaming. (its been console ports for better part of 15 years lets face it) Hell, I think I've been playing my PS1 more and more than playing games on my 5GHz+, SLI-GeForces, RAM-to-the-MAX, Win10 machine because this shit is ruining PC gaming.

Uplay literally made my PC unbootable after first/virgin install. It went deep and did some kernel level voodoo shit that was fixed only by a drive clone restore.

Origin cannot into DPI scaling and keeps redownloading and reinstalling APEX SeasonWhateverTheFuck. Something I wasn't aware even existed and made me scratch my head trying to remember "When did I buy APEX?... wait what is APEX?". Turns out, I didn't buy it. And it's somekind of a online shootan game for zoomers. For whatever reason Origin keeps redownloading it, cannot be hidden or removed either. It keeps glitching and re-downloading other games like Crysis-1 and BF2142. Over and over and over. To the tune of 30+ GB of bandwidth per day and unmeasurable CPU/DISK/NETWORK usage. Fixed only by complete client disabling.

Epic? Turns out this thing is running on an Unreal4. The 3d engine. A online store front using a heavy-duty 3D game engine.... Sigh. it causes random ntdll crashes and there are unexplained CPU spikes to 100%... but then all of them do weird CPU/RAM/DISK/NETWORK spike activity thing. Speaking of unexplained resource usage...

Steam. Offline mode is just a suggestion with this thing. It will either glitch out, demand-online-mode after X amount of time, or re-enable online mode by-itself. Then proceed to re-enable cloud saves (in process deleting more up to date saves) and proceed to download updates (previously disabled) and even games that weren't purchased (hey we think you should try this, free weekend offer/demo). This all, the steam stuffs, happened just this morning... to me...

What about others? Amazon software downloader will corrupt system files, even my tax software decided to upgrade and delete tax data of some two years...

What horror...

Squidhead

Educated
I just snagged Grand Theft Auto 5 Premium Edition. Feels kind of awesome especially with GTA Online included. However, it did take 10-12 hours for Rockstar Games Social Club to send the email verification (needed to play). But what the hell, it's free, right? Fuck micro-transactions though. That's not what I'm about. They won't get a penny from this tightwad if that was their "The First One Is For Free!" intention.
As with free VPNs, the consumer is the real product.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
As with free VPNs, the consumer is the real product.
If something is free....run away.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'll take free Civ6, as I never got around to it. Doesn't that have a shit-ton of DLC though? No surprise they'd give away the core game in that case.

Though I put hundreds of hours into Civ5 and I think it broke me and I lost the taste for it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Damn the meltdown on Steam boards is real. It's a 7 years old game

A PS3 era game which costs like $15 during a sale.
Indeed, but what does steam offer recently ? Half life free for one month only , a 1998 game. Epic offered quite a few decent titles . What has steam ever done for us except selling digital version at same retail price ? Both are greedy corporation, but think epic deserves my money more now.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd rather get GTA V or any other game from either Steam or GOG and pay for it rather than get it for free from these shady dealers with their shitty business tactics and Chinese spyware bullshit.

ZZwXYEH.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is an interesting new feature for a change.

It seems they automatically refunds the differences. I assume Epic will cover the cost, the developer will get revenues from the full price purchase anyway.

Seems counterproductive to me if you want to make money by having a sale, but okay.

The Decline

Arcane
Damn the meltdown on Steam boards is real. It's a 7 years old game

A PS3 era game which costs like $15 during a sale.
Indeed, but what does steam offer recently ? Half life free for one month only , a 1998 game. Epic offered quite a few decent titles . What has steam ever done for us except selling digital version at same retail price ? Both are greedy corporation, but think epic deserves my money more now.

The chinks have snatched another soul. Even if you were willing to ignore your information being stolen, why bother paying for anything on the Epic store? At this rate every big game is going to be free at some point or another.

Wunderbar

Arcane
no one owes you free games. Steam and EGS are digital stores, not charity foundations.
Epic deserves your money because of a couple of freebies? lol

Mortmal

Arcane
This is an interesting new feature for a change.

It seems they automatically refunds the differences. I assume Epic will cover the cost, the developer will get revenues from the full price purchase anyway.

Seems counterproductive to me if you want to make money by having a sale, but okay.

No it's very good advertisement , the purpose is to take market shares not make money , it make them look like the good guy compare to steam. Now why so many people are sucking gabe's dick here ? I do understand its a liked pratice here,wont judge, however i dont understand such fandom on the codex for a virtual shop. Only thing steam really has are the user reviews.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know that, but honestly I find it a bit weird and pathetic. At some point if you want to run the actual store you have to sell some stuff at a profit.

"Please come to my store, I will suck your dick man"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom